How do we approach these? I know you must accumulate chips very quickly esp from the start, because of the rapid blinds, but how do you approach these correctly?does anyone know of a good general strat for turbos?
You have to go into the game somewhat knowing that it's going to be a crapshoot.No matter how well you play tournament poker sometimes the circumstances just don't permit optimum play with such a fast blind structure.IMHO, the correct approach would be to play it just like a normal Sit'N'Go but be more aware of when the blinds are going up so you can adjust your raises and hand values accordingly.
How do we approach these? I know you must accumulate chips very quickly esp from the start, because of the rapid blinds, but how do you approach these correctly?does anyone know of a good general strat for turbos?
idk, but as far as stt's go, this strategy early on is totally wrong. just because its a turbo, that doesn't mean you have to accumlate early on to stand a chance. In fact, its the exact opossite of what you think, early on what you want to do is play tight and get your money in only when your a good favorite to win. this will also create a good image for you when its get shorthanded/bubble and you need to start stealing blinds. my goal early on is just to make it too shorthanded play because i know once this happens, I have an edge over all of my oponnents. Even coming in with 1000 chips at 100/200 blinds, I like my chances. once it gets shorthanded, this is when you need to open up your game and start stealing blinds. I'm not saying to go crazy and push every hand, but loosen up enough so that you give yourself a shot at cashing in and winning. At this point, the blinds and antes will already total anywhere from 10% to as much as 40% of your chip stack. at this point, its usually correct to just push it in when its folded to you in position and you have any kind of a reasonable hand.
idk, but as far as stt's go, this strategy early on is totally wrong. just because its a turbo, that doesn't mean you have to accumlate early on to stand a chance. In fact, its the exact opossite of what you think, early on what you want to do is play tight and get your money in only when your a good favorite to win. this will also create a good image for you when its get shorthanded/bubble and you need to start stealing blinds. my goal early on is just to make it too shorthanded play because i know once this happens, I have an edge over all of my oponnents. Even coming in with 1000 chips at 100/200 blinds, I like my chances. once it gets shorthanded, this is when you need to open up your game and start stealing blinds. I'm not saying to go crazy and push every hand, but loosen up enough so that you give yourself a shot at cashing in and winning. At this point, the blinds and antes will already total anywhere from 10% to as much as 40% of your chip stack. at this point, its usually correct to just push it in when its folded to you in position and you have any kind of a reasonable hand.
Correct.The 'must accumulate chips early because it's a turbo' theory is very wrong.Having played quite a few of these, for one main reason: these are where the serious fish are to be found - I assume because there is less play involved and people can just gamble more - I have found that the highest sustainable ROI comes from playing very tight early on.Of course, if you happen to get a big hand early on, then play it aggressively because you are sure to get action from at least one player in these. This is why you do not need to get involved with marginal hands/marginal draws... because raises are not respected anyway, and you will get action when you do not want any.I agree with everything you said about %'s compared to chip stacks, so I don't need to add anything there. Also, when the blinds do represent a high % of your stack, this is when aggression pays, and things can change drastically. (of course, sometimes you will not be short near the bubble anyway, if you have maximisd your big hands early).So, it may sound like a contradiction in terms, but patience is actually MORE important in turbos.- A general point to add... Turbo's are not very 'enjoyable' to play, in respect that they do not allow much play/moves/bluffs. In fact, they are pretty terrible. Therefore, you will not improve your game much (apart from maybe improving patience), so I don't think they should be played by begginners looking to learn. In fact, you could get into very bad habits playing turbos.As predominently a cash game player these days, they can be a good 'quick fix' of tournament play, and are easily beaten - But, if you are over aggressive early on, you become one of the herd yourself - Play opposite to the LAG fish, and you will profit.Just try it - play 10 STT turbos, playing very tight early on and compare your results to 10 turbos playing loose.
Best strategy is to not play them.The structure reduces the edge skilled players have over fish.Why would you want to put yourself in that situation?
Best strategy is to not play them.The structure reduces the edge skilled players have over fish.Why would you want to put yourself in that situation?
Not at all true. A common myth.It's about maximising your edge over the rest of the table. It is possible to beat any type of structure, if you apply the correct strategy. In turbos, this edge can be even MORE. i.e - if you are putting bad players to hard decisions by pushing when the blinds are big, they will be inclined to make more -EV calls.By playing extremely tight early, and then adopting a +EV push/fold strategy late on, approaching the bubble - in line with your position, chip stack, M, fold equity etc, turbos are crushable.I simply don't like playing them that much anymore, because I'm trying to concentrate playing different games. But I do still occasionally.I know that when I used to play them I started out playing them totally wrong, with the wrong mentality.Incidently, if you check the leaderboards for Sit N Gos, they are predominently dominated by HU and turbo players - There is a reason for this.

I don't like to play the "must accumulate chips" approach, because everyone else is thinking the same thing. Let them gamble, let them eleiminate themselves, be willing to bubble a lot, but also be willing to finish in the money 50% of the time using this style.