Roger Federer

i think that one thing pete may have had over roger was the ability to pull out the epic 5-set match. pete won so many of those matches, many when he was injured. Roger has yet to really have a defining classic match. true, he takes care of everybody quick and hasnt had the oppurtunities pete had, but i believe roger has a pretty mediocre record in five set matches.with all that said though, even though i grew up idolizing pete, i would still have to go roger > pete. the shots that roger hits and his level of dominance right now is just freakish.
QFT
i think that one thing pete may have had over roger was the ability to pull out the epic 5-set match. pete won so many of those matches, many when he was injured. Roger has yet to really have a defining classic match. true, he takes care of everybody quick and hasnt had the oppurtunities pete had, but i believe roger has a pretty mediocre record in five set matches.with all that said though, even though i grew up idolizing pete, i would still have to go roger > pete. the shots that roger hits and his level of dominance right now is just freakish.
On the 5 set match thing, it's like defining which is better being the chipleader and having an easy ride to a win in a tournament or being down to chip and a chair and fighting and clawing your way back to win the tournament.Both have the same result. It's just a matter of which you think is more impressive in attaining that result.Roger is undoubtably a great front runner. I think the less tennis you have to play to achieve #1 the better. Means you can maintain that level of tennis longer. So I'm not sure that the 5 set match record necessarily says good things for Pete.But I grew up idolizing Agassi. :club:
On the 5 set match thing, it's like defining which is better being the chipleader and having an easy ride to a win in a tournament or being down to chip and a chair and fighting and clawing your way back to win the tournament.Both have the same result. It's just a matter of which you think is more impressive in attaining that result.Roger is undoubtably a great front runner. I think the less tennis you have to play to achieve #1 the better. Means you can maintain that level of tennis longer. So I'm not sure that the 5 set match record necessarily says good things for Pete.But I grew up idolizing Agassi. :club:
im not sure if i agree with your chipleader comment. though it works in a sense, i was trying to think more of performing in the clutch with heavy pressure. though he does it now, i dont think roger is going to continue winning every match he plays in majors in 3 or 4 sets, so he is going to have to be able to pull out those matches sometime. the only person who has ever really put pressure on him in a major final was nadal in the french (which nadal won). i am in no way saying that roger cant handle the pressure or that he is going to turn into playoffs peyton manning if he has to go five sets against roddick (or whoever else) in a open or wimbledon. right now, it is an unknown.(PS) Agassi! though he has grown on me in his old man years, i always hated agassi back in the day when he and pete were dueling. also, i think that pete had maybe the greatest final moment in sports. he is washed up and hasnt won anything for two years, then in his final tournament, he wins the us open (beating his arch rival in the finals) and goes out on top. i just dont think any athlete has ever gone out on top like that.
im not sure if i agree with your chipleader comment. though it works in a sense, i was trying to think more of performing in the clutch with heavy pressure. though he does it now, i dont think roger is going to continue winning every match he plays in majors in 3 or 4 sets, so he is going to have to be able to pull out those matches sometime. the only person who has ever really put pressure on him in a major final was nadal in the french (which nadal won). i am in no way saying that roger cant handle the pressure or that he is going to turn into playoffs peyton manning if he has to go five sets against roddick (or whoever else) in a open or wimbledon. right now, it is an unknown.(PS) Agassi! though he has grown on me in his old man years, i always hated agassi back in the day when he and pete were dueling. also, i think that pete had maybe the greatest final moment in sports. he is washed up and hasnt won anything for two years, then in his final tournament, he wins the us open (beating his arch rival in the finals) and goes out on top. i just dont think any athlete has ever gone out on top like that.
I agree with you about Roger. I don't think we have yet seen exactly how good Roger can be because he hasn't been pushed to his limit. I hope Nadal or somebody (anybody!) can do that. I want to see Roger involved in a rivalry as good as Pete and Andre's.The way Pete left the game was classic and I wish the end had worked out that way for Agassi. One of the things I loved about Andre that he was so emotional and connected to the game where Pete always seemed so unemotional and aloof but oddly enough their respective retirements seemed opposite to me. Andre's was less emotional than Pete's. On the other hand though, Andre's was also more about Andre basking in the love whereas Pete hid from the spotlight which seems very much like him.Anyway, I'm rambling but I guess my point is that if Roger gets enough practice in them, he'll learn to master a 5 set match and won't that be a glorious thing to see?
You idiot.He threw the racket before he went to give him a handshake.Him throwing it at the end of the clip was a replay, god dammit. Do you think he broke the fucking laws of physics and threw it in slow motion? If you thought that was a live thing going on after he went over and shook his hand, why the fuck would it be in slow motion!? God dammit.I'm so pissed off right now. It "gets old after awhile", Jesus H. It was a 58 second clip, even if it WEREN'T a replay, and he actually threw it again, it got old after 58 seconds?Oh god, I'm going to burst.I hated your post so much.I don't like tennis that much, but I'm going to watch it next time it's on, just so I can spite you. I don't know how me watching it will spite you, but in my mixed up pissed off head right now it makes sense, so I'm going to do it.I hate you.
Dear Mr. Spademan, I just noticed your post in which you brutally destroyed me. I admit I made a mistake, I thought Roddick threw the racket after he shook hands with Federer. After watching the video again I found that I was 100% wrong. So I'll accept the epic flaming even though my self esteem has been severely damaged. Just so you know spademan, all I have is love for you and I hope in the future that you don't hold this mistake against me.Sincerely,Tanner W. Henningaka king_tanner
Dear Mr. Spademan,
I am nothing if not merciful.You are forgiven.Besides, getting flamed hard by me is like having been dunked on by Jordan and immortalized in a big, glossy poster.It may suck at the time, but you'll live forever in print.