Official English Premier League Thread

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well played sir. F'n Chelsea, this never would have happened under Mourinho! I'm in uni just now so will change when I get home. I'll keep it 'til next Monday.

Big Sam. Absolutely terrible idea. I'm up for a wager. I say they go down.
I disagree. Just out of interest, who would you have chosen? Or.. more importantly who would they be able to get, bearing in mind where they are now, of any quality... that you'd think was a good appointment?He did a great job with Bolton, and if you look at his record with Newcastle, he only lost 6 out of 24 games.. not bad at all, esp considering what's happened since. Newcastle fans seemed to think that they deserved better, but you don't. You're a very average side and nowhere near the top teams, with a fan base that is 90% genuinely delusional.If Blackburn want a manager to give them a decent chance of escaping relegation, by organising a team properly, starting with the defence... then I think he's a good choice. Creativity may not be his strong point, but that's really not what Blackburn need right now.I wouldn't bet that they won't go down though.

The Newcastle issue. I am not in one bit delusional. I'm happy with not being relegated..but we have top players that are paid better than basically everyone outside the top 4. We have and had a lot of quality players. We fill 56k every home game. Its a big club.Noone is complaining about not winning the league. But with the above mentioned assets, we should not be in a relegation battle, like Big Sam put us in last year, and trust me, you didn't watch the 0-0 matches against the relegation teams, I did, under Sam it was some of the worst football I have ever seen. He did not get a bad deal, he got what he deserved. We should not be finishing 13 two years in a row.Everyone likes to say Newcastle fans are delusional but its Bullshit, not one fan complained when we were finishing 5th or 4th with Sir Bobby, most fans would be happy with top 8. Outsiders are not getting to see the horrible football that has taken place and then to finish 14th. With what we have, the money, the fans, the players, it is not acceptable and I think people who label the fans delusional have not got a clue. Its not like we are finishing top table. We're a bottom half club and we have been for a while. There is no way Newcastle should be a bottom half club.The reason I think Sam is a bad choice is because Ince is a good manager. Blackburn are a good team. They don't need some tactital genius or new fitness regime.They need a good kick up the arse and a charismatic leader. When Big Sam came to Newcaslte he could do none of this. Blackburn are in a pretty bad slump with their good players probably just hoping for a transfer. Its hard to pick but I reckon a Gordon Strachan Martin O'neil type manager is the only one that will work. If Sam was coming from Bolton I would be optimistic but after the shambles at Newcastle I have no faith in him.

A very average side.
Given, Beye, Bassong, Coloccini, Jose Enrique, Gutierrez, Butt, Guthrie, N'Zogbia, Martins (Ameobi 79), Owen.Subs Not Used: Harper, Cacapa, Duff, Geremi, Taylor, Viduka.Thats the team that beat Portsmouth.Please tell me which clubs in the premiership have a better team sheet than this.I agree they are an average side at the moment but with this team there is no way in hell they should be.
Newcastle stuff.
I disagree with much of what you've said, but whatever... that's your opinion. I think Newcastle fans are still living at least 3/4 seasons ago, some a lot longer back to the Keegan days. You've slipped down, football teams are cyclical and you don't keep winning based on past performances or reputations. The slide started way before Allardyce, so I think it's totally unfair to pin it all on him, which lots of Newcastle fans like to do.
The reason I think Sam is a bad choice is because Ince is a good manager. Blackburn are a good team. They don't need some tactital genius or new fitness regime.They need a good kick up the arse and a charismatic leader. When Big Sam came to Newcaslte he could do none of this. Blackburn are in a pretty bad slump with their good players probably just hoping for a transfer. Its hard to pick but I reckon a Gordon Strachan Martin O'neil type manager is the only one that will work. If Sam was coming from Bolton I would be optimistic but after the shambles at Newcastle I have no faith in him.
How are they a good team (and I don't even neccessarliy mean the players as individuals... I'm talking about the 'team'), and how is Ince a good (Premiership) manager?? Look at their position. Put yourself in the position of Blackburn chairman... do you really just leave him in the job, and not change anything? And if they're gonna do it, they must do it now, to give themselves a chance.You said Strachan or O'Neil, and I'd agree that they'd be better... but my whole point was that they can't get someone like that, no chance... so who would you have?
I disagree with much of what you've said, but whatever... that's your opinion. I think Newcastle fans are still living at least 3/4 seasons ago, some a lot longer back to the Keegan days. You've slipped down, football teams are cyclical and you don't keep winning based on past performances or reputations. The slide started way before Allardyce, so I think it's totally unfair to pin it all on him, which lots of Newcastle fans like to do.How is anyone living 3/4 seasons ago, you would be happy with not winning a game for over 3 months or what ever ridiculous it was, being in the bottom 3 after january. Noone is saying we should be in the title contention. Are you actually paying attention to how Newcastle have been performing, with some of the best players outside of the top 4.And noone is pinning it on Sam, but only a fool would say he had a good run there.Obviously its not his fault. He had a new owner and a fresh start, he had the whole summer and we were terribleHow are they a good team (and I don't even neccessarliy mean the players as individuals... I'm talking about the 'team'), and how is Ince a good (Premiership) manager?? Look at their position. Put yourself in the position of Blackburn chairman... do you really just leave him in the job, and not change anything? And if they're gonna do it, they must do it now, to give themselves a chance.You said Strachan or O'Neil, and I'd agree that they'd be better... but my whole point was that they can't get someone like that, no chance... so who would you have?
Ince did really well in his last jobs managing. Everyone was pipping him to do well. He didn't he did terrible. I can only say they are a good team based on the individuals. Otherwise we have to bring Ince to it, and obviously he did poorly.Why can't they get Strachan? He was linked with the Sunderland job. I'd take Curbishely if Im forced into it.
Given, Beye, Bassong, Coloccini, Jose Enrique, Gutierrez, Butt, Guthrie, N'Zogbia, Martins (Ameobi 79), Owen.Subs Not Used: Harper, Cacapa, Duff, Geremi, Taylor, Viduka.Thats the team that beat Portsmouth.Please tell me which clubs in the premiership have a better team sheet than this.I agree they are an average side at the moment but with this team there is no way in hell they should be.
I think we might be slightly arguing about different things, but I do not see with the team above how fans can be delusional when they are upset over worrying about relegation and bottom half finishes. We were able to bid $25 mill for rooney for christ sake.If the above is a very average team, then who outside the top 4 has a better team sheet than the above.Our back 4 is really good these days. Well the individuals
Ince did really well in his last jobs managing. Everyone was pipping him to do well. He didn't he did terrible. I can only say they are a good team based on the individuals. Otherwise we have to bring Ince to it, and obviously he did poorly.Why can't they get Strachan? He was linked with the Sunderland job. I'd take Curbishely if Im forced into it.
I think the chances of getting Strachan, right now, would have been close to zero. I gather he's very happy at Celtic, plays CL football, currently top of the SPL, and life is good for him. Why would he want to join a club sitting 2nd to bottom of the Premiership, with 13 points?As for Curbishley, he's probably the only other realistic name in the pool. And it's really not a very big pool of names to choose from, for Blackburn as they stand. Maybe they did approach him, we don't know all the goings on... maybe he turned them down? But, if I was a Blackburn fan today, all I know is I'd be a lot more confident of staying in the Premiership now, than I was yesterday. It's really not an 'absolutely terrible idea' as you said.

He will need to prove it. I was delighted when he came to Newcastle. But after watching about 6 completely hopeless games I have no faith in him.I always liked him but I have no faith, as i said I'm willing to bet on my absolutely terrible comment although that may have been a bit exaggerated

He will need to prove it. I was delighted when he came to Newcastle. But after watching about 6 completely hopeless games I have no faith in him.I always liked him but I have no faith, as i said I'm willing to bet on my absolutely terrible comment although that may have been a bit exaggerated
Ok, well what would you like the bet to be? I honestly think that Blackburn still have a great base to work with.. from the Mark Hughes era, and need someone to just get it out of them, get them organised, and get them back to playing decent again. Big Sam, imo, is one of the guys who can do this... and esp after all the unfair criticism he's had (again, just my opinion) after Newcastle, he'll be out to prove a few doubters wrong.
I have to go, But could you answer this.I got a bit ruffled from the "very average side" comment:)
I have to go, But could you answer this.I got a bit ruffled from the "very average side" comment:)
You've had some injuries, you've had managerial upheaval, and you've had major problems in the board room (still looking for a buyer, I think). This is not good for confidence to the team, so as a result, you've been performing like an average team.If everything at Newcastle right now was perfect, and with everyone fit... you'd be performing better, but it's not. You've got a few decent players, and a few that used to be very good but are now either getting on a bit, or always injured.Didn't Keegan (the Geordie messiah!) want to get rid of Ameobi? He doesn't seem to be up to the standard of a top Premiership club by a long way. So, if Owen is injured, where are the goals coming from? Gutierrez, Butt and Guthrie are more industrial type players. Solid, but not going to carve teams apart really. Same with N'Zogbia... I think you need some more creativity in the team if you want to be really challenging for Europe.Look on the bright side though... you're only 6 points behind 7th place! That's the same distance we are behind Liverpool. It's a long season, who knows where you'll be come May.
Come on LJ, get it done you little weasel.
Apologies. Crazy busy time at the minute. I've only been in the lab/library or bed. I can't change my FCP stuff from uni computers, only home and I genuinely haven't been on it. I'll keep it for 10 days from when I change everything to appease you.Re: the Newcastle chat. It's Newcastle's defence that lets them down and an inability to play together. I agree they should be great going forward and are at times. But tell me who, Given apart, with defensive duties at Newcastle would get in any of the teams above them? Christ, Cacapa would struggle to get a game in the Unibond!

Coloccini Beye and Enrique have been playing really well, I'm sure at least two of them would easily get into all teams below the top 4And yes Ameobi is a donkey.lol at Gutierrez not tearing anyone apart. Have you seen any of our goals lately? All from excellent passes, well, basically tearing a defense a part. He can beat players and has done so.We have Owen Martins and Viduka. Ameobi is there because of injury.Coloccini and Enrique got put into Garth Crooks team of the week last week. Ok I hate Garth Crooks but Im desperate.

Hey Slap you didn't reply to what you want the bet to be, about Sam Allardyce at Blackburn.I propose, bearing in mind you think he's a terrible appointment:Blackburn currently have 13 points after 17 games, so, I bet that after a further 17 games (34)... they will have more than 26 points (27 or more). Therefore, he'll have done a better job than Paul Ince. How's that?

you expect me to bet that out of 51 points they'll only get 13 points. i could get 13 points in the next 17 games, they have pederson, robinson, santa cruz, benni mccarthy, dunn is coming back from injury. and they will be rejuvenated from a new manager. i'll bet they go down or if you want to do bets that ridiculously sized in your favour, we can discuss odds of some sort

Done. Apologies for the delay.And don't bet with him Slap - he's some kind of magician!

you expect me to bet that out of 51 points they'll only get 13 points. i could get 13 points in the next 17 games, they have pederson, robinson, santa cruz, benni mccarthy, dunn is coming back from injury. and they will be rejuvenated from a new manager. i'll bet they go down or if you want to do bets that ridiculously sized in your favour, we can discuss odds of some sort
I'm not really understanding your logic, when you said Big Sam was an absolutely terrible idea, and that Paul Ince is a good manager.So, are you admitting that Allardyce will do better than Ince? If so.. how's it a terrible idea? If you honestly thought what you said, you'd take my bet... surely?Ok, I'll edit the bet in your favour if you like. I bet that Blackburn will get 30 points or over.

a lot of miscommunication between us. I think Ince will be a good manager, he has proven he has skill and everyone was touting him as the new up and comer, go getter whatever. Blackburn was just a disaster.I felt Sam was a terrible choice as he showed a complete lack of charisma at Newcastle. And no need to defend him, I'm delighted hes back in the league. Watching his reaction when asked about Wenger saying his team were too physical was priceless.I said they will get relegated. The 13 games etc etc threw me off a bit.Its a long time but I'm up for the relegation bet. Although Im doubting my comment more and more as I read all the media hype but i'm still up for a bet.What the winner gets I don't know