I don't understand the stand by concept at the WSOP. Could somebody please explain how that works?I'm led to believe there was no player cap, so, lets say 8,000 people paid the entry, what are the stand by's?
There are only 208 tables in the room. They don't have enough space for more than 2080 players so they put in alternates as people get knocked out.

So, these are entries number 2,081 and beyond? And they all paid an entry already, and are guaranteed a seat at some time?Isn't there an advantage to be seated late? Or, is it a disadvantage? More people would be gone by the time you get in, but, you have less time to gather chips, too.

and you start with below average chips.
Alternates start with 10k in chips. The difference isn't really that much.As of Thursday night there were 8400 entries and the WSOP was "sold out". However, they still ran satellites including a mega satellite where 51 players won a seat. Harrah's waited to inform these players that they were going to be alternates until the satellite was over. I thought for sure they were going to start throwing chairs. The total number is up around 9000 entries. Last night I had a guy come up to me and ask where table 315 was @ 9:00pm. He was on the alternate list and didnt even bother to try to play until 9 hours into the event. Im sure he could have played earlier but for whatever reason he waited until almost the end of the day. I'm not even sure what happened with him after I sent him to the TD.
So, these are entries number 2,081 and beyond? And they all paid an entry already, and are guaranteed a seat at some time?Isn't there an advantage to be seated late? Or, is it a disadvantage? More people would be gone by the time you get in, but, you have less time to gather chips, too.
2100 players per day spread out over 4 starting days. (they also use the table on the stage at the start)
ya, that seems kinda unfair if you ask me. If I'm putting up 10K I want a level playing field.
Get there early enough to have a seat. There were still people trying to get seats last night at the end of day 1c.
Alternates start with 10k in chips. The difference isn't really that much.
if you're the last alternate of the day to get seated, it could be a big deal.your stack might be below average by about 20%