$50 to $1000 on pstars day 31

*** HOLE CARDS ***Dealt to thecandle [Td Qs]kebo1: checksRaisin Man: raises $0.50 to $1thecandle: calls $0.75bhawkotter: foldskebo1: folds*** FLOP *** [Qc Kc 2c]thecandle: checksRaisin Man: bets $0.50thecandle: calls $0.50*** TURN *** [Qc Kc 2c] [8d]thecandle: checksRaisin Man: checks*** RIVER *** [Qc Kc 2c 8d] [Ts]thecandle: bets $1Raisin Man: foldsRaisin Man is sitting outRaisin Man leaves the tablethecandle collected $4.25 from potthecandle: doesn't show hand
Isn't there a good argument for check-raising the flop here? You've defended a blind steal and hit second pair which I think would be the best hand more than 50% of the time, and the raise gives you extra fold equity with the one-suited flop. You also save yourself some money by not calling down turn and river bets if he comes over the top with a better hand.
On this hand, perhaps I'm being weak passive, but with the preflop raise, i put on a hand like AA, KK or AK potentially. The flop comes one suit (which you got no piece of), with second pair. That flop would scare me off chasing this one down to the river. Would my decision to fold pre-flop be incorrect? Or is there at least some logic/argument for folding on the flop here?

How do you change your play when you go to the 6-max limit tables? I tried them yesterday and found some really loose action. The pots were larger than at the full ring tables and the flop percentage was greater as well. I played poorly but felt that there was some good opportunity. Also, how does your starting hand selection change? My starting hand selection doesn't change. I find that to be the biggest mistake 6-max players make, thinking they should loosen up a lot and going overboard.My raising standards loosen considerably and my post flop play tends to be a little looser.6-max plays a lot closer to ten-handed than it does to 3 handed but most people play it like it was three handed.

Over a long period in live games, I just haven't found Q10/o to be profitable as is shown in these examples. Maybe I've been playing it wrong ---or the games shown were 6 handed (not clear my quick read).

*** FLOP *** [Js 2s Qc] Gymshoe: checks thecandle: checks 4foot: bets $0.50 yyyy1313: calls $0.50 Gymshoe: folds thecandle: calls $0.50 Flop an OESD and decide not raise for the free card. You're in the big blind with this hand. Not trying to nitpick, just double checking. I'm just assuming you went over the hand history quickly and saw you were the last to act and missed that you checked. If not, please explain. Thanks.

My starting hand selection doesn't change. I find that to be the biggest mistake 6-max players make, thinking they should loosen up a lot and going overboard.
What about tightening up a bit on some of the suited hands? I haven't played much 6-max, but I've been wondering if some of the Axs hands are still playable, since pot odds may not allow for draws as often. Is holding a lone A against a smaller field enough to compensate for this? I need to figure this stuff out, because I find when my full limit tables start to break up I often lose money.

at least with Axs you can get a pair of aces, I was wondering about suited connectors like 56s.. they must be pretty weak in 6 max tables right?(thanks for any help, I just started very recently)

at least with Axs you can get a pair of aces, I was wondering about suited connectors like 56s.. they must be pretty weak in 6 max tables right? They're pretty weak everywhere.Both of these questions involve how many people see the flop more than they involve how many people get cards each hand. Many six max tables have 4 to the flopp frequently and many ten handed tables have three.

*** FLOP *** [Js 2s Qc] Gymshoe: checks thecandle: checks 4foot: bets $0.50 yyyy1313: calls $0.50 Gymshoe: folds thecandle: calls $0.50
Flop an OESD and decide not raise for the free card. You're in the big blind with this hand. Not trying to nitpick, just double checking. I'm just assuming you went over the hand history quickly and saw you were the last to act and missed that you checked. If not, please explain. Thanks.
I haven't really gone extensively through Smasharoo's extensive (and boring) hand histories, but from the ones I have seen Smash is the Classic Calling Station.He frequently calls when a bold player would bet - it must be those awesome $0.50/$1 stakes that cause him to freeze-up when the fish are sucking out on the garbage hands for a buck or two.We'll see where he's at after 100 days in the $0.50/$1 pond.I can't wait to hear his excuses.Hey Smash, how did you do in the DN Open Tournament?I heard someone entered their girlfriend into that tournament (her first tournamnet ever) and she finished about 20 places above you (out of 44 or so) after you sat out for several hands so that you didn't finish like 37th out of 44.

I haven't really gone extensively through Smasharoo's extensive (and boring) hand histories, but from the ones I have seen Smash is the Classic Calling Station. Yup, that's right. That's why I'm beating it for 5BB/100.I have an idea. Why don't you put $400 into Stars, play .50/$1 and we'll se who gets to $1000 in the least amount of hands. You canpost 50 hands a day and demonstrate your more agressive play style and how it performs better.

*** FLOP *** [Js 2s Qc] Gymshoe: checks thecandle: checks 4foot: bets $0.50 yyyy1313: calls $0.50 Gymshoe: folds thecandle: calls $0.50
Flop an OESD and decide not raise for the free card. You're in the big blind with this hand. Not trying to nitpick, just double checking. I'm just assuming you went over the hand history quickly and saw you were the last to act and missed that you checked. If not, please explain. Thanks.
I haven't really gone extensively through Smasharoo's extensive (and boring) hand histories, but from the ones I have seen Smash is the Classic Calling Station.He frequently calls when a bold player would bet - it must be those awesome $0.50/$1 stakes that cause him to freeze-up when the fish are sucking out on the garbage hands for a buck or two...
OK so you feel Smash played this like a calling station.Instead of the name calling and the "my dad can beat your dad up" stuff I would be very interested to hear how would you play that hand differently. As well as the how a little bit of why wouldn't go astray either...

OK so you feel Smash played this like a calling station.Instead of the name calling and the "my dad can beat your dad up" stuff I would be very interested to hear how would you play that hand differently.As well as the how a little bit of why wouldn't go astray either...He'd raise in early position without odds and then bet out on the turn if he missed and lose money because he realy doesn't have a very good grasp on Holdem.

You spoilt my fun SmashI was kinda hoping he would hang himself there...Again?He's a typical too agressive player who spews chips all over the place at the wrong time and can't understand why he doesn't have a better win rate.Everyone goes through it before they figure out the selective part of selective agression and how much more money they win by raising when there's a reason to raise instead of arbitrarily.

He's a typical too agressive player who spews chips all over the place at the wrong time and can't understand why he doesn't have a better win rate.Everyone goes through it before they figure out the selective part of selective agression and how much more money they win by raising when there's a reason to raise instead of arbitrarily.
I know, but it would've been fun... and handled well would've been a good lesson on why you could raise that hand on the button but not in the BB.