How Much To Raise?

Obviously, this topic applies to no-limit or pot-limit poker but I was wondering how people decide how much to raise another person's bet if they are trying to protect a hand. This is pretty general but I'm mostly just looking for people's thoughts or wondering if there is any useful math. Suppose you flop a set but there's a flush draw that you want to protect against, or you have A-x on an A-y-z board and want to raise another person's bet to get information about their kicker. Is your raise a function of the player's bet or of the pot or both?

Obviously, this topic applies to no-limit or pot-limit poker but I was wondering how people decide how much to raise another person's bet if they are trying to protect a hand. This is pretty general but I'm mostly just looking for people's thoughts or wondering if there is any useful math. Suppose you flop a set but there's a flush draw that you want to protect against, or you have A-x on an A-y-z board and want to raise another person's bet to get information about their kicker. Is your raise a function of the player's bet or of the pot or both?
It's generally a function of the pot. You want to raise an amount where they're receiving incorrect odds to continue playing with the hand that you put them on. Essentially, this is fundamental theorem of poker stuff. Your raise should cause them to make a mistake. If not an immediate mistake...a mistake at some point in the hand or later hands. For example, if you think they're on a flush draw on the flop, you typically want to bet/raise about the pot. If it's a weaker draw than that, you can usually get by with betting less...though I typically don't go smaller than a half-pot bet/raise.

Usually I raise enough so that they are getting around 2-1 on their money if they call. If I'm oop I'll raise more, and if I think they'll call a large amount with a weaker hand than mine I raise more.

Basically, you're not going to get any simple answers or some short cut math trick. As Cobalt said, "You want to raise an amount where they're receiving incorrect odds to continue playing with the hand that you put them on."It'll depend on so many different factors that anyone here is going to have a hard time giving you an answer.

The simple answer is: 'You should bet the highest amount that they will call incorrectly or any amount that will cause them to fold incorrectly.'

It's generally a function of the pot. You want to raise an amount where they're receiving incorrect odds to continue playing with the hand that you put them on. Essentially, this is fundamental theorem of poker stuff. Your raise should cause them to make a mistake. If not an immediate mistake...a mistake at some point in the hand or later hands. For example, if you think they're on a flush draw on the flop, you typically want to bet/raise about the pot. If it's a weaker draw than that, you can usually get by with betting less...though I typically don't go smaller than a half-pot bet/raise.
It sure sucks when they call it twice and hit on the river thoughHappend to me no less then 9 times this weekend, without me hitting a full to my trips even once, I spent the morning re-reading all the perentages on flush draws and such just to keep my sanity
Play the percentages...not the results. :club:
I agree.Remember that whenever someone incorrectly (pot odds-wise) calls you, you make money, regardless of the outcome. You have to play the numbers here.That said, don't forget to play the man. Apply what you know of the numbers to what you know of the man and you should get the best outcome. Just playing the numbers though, will net you money over the long run. Furthermore, I adjust for limits. If you're playing .50/1 NLHE I generally raise more than is necessary because the players are worse and the actual dollar amount 'seems' insignificant to a typical donk. I usually get the incorrect call anyway...Ahhhhh, isn't this why we love poker?

Suppose you flop a set but there's a flush draw that you want to protect against, or you have A-x on an A-y-z board and want to raise another person's bet to get information about their kicker. Is your raise a function of the player's bet or of the pot or both?Depends alot more on how live you're drawing against the other guy's range of best hands than anything else.Ussually the answer for me though is whatever's in front of me.good luck.