Do You Lay Down This 97s?

I'd be really interested to see how you guys would play this hand in the context of a tournament.I had about 5.5k in chips, up from 4k initially. I've been playing loosely and agressively.Blinds are at the 4th level, 150/300. It's 5 way (the number we started with).I've got 97s in the cutoff, and limp with possibly 1 other.The button (a good tight-agressive player), who has been trying to pick me off whenever I've been limping all game, raises up 900 from his stack of about 3.5k. We'll call this player Renard.It's folded round to me. It's 600 / 1650-1950 pot = 30-36% to call (depending on if there was another limper). Which I do. My hand has 35% equity against Broadway hands, so I think I called correctly. In fact, he had ATo, which gave my hand a 39% shot.Flop comes 10 8 7, with no help for my suit.I've got a pair and an up-and-down, so I bet 1000, about 40% of the 2550 pot. (Against Broadway cards I'm now 65% favourite. Against Renard's ATo I'm a 45% dog.)Well, Renard's not going to get pushed around with TPTK, so he makes it another 1000 to go into a pot of 5500 = 18%. I've got pot odds there, so I call.Turn comes A, giving wiley Renard top 2 pair. I check, and he makes the expected all in for another 1000-2000, offering me 13-23% odds to call. At this point against ATo I have a 22% shot at winning, so my call seems correct mathmatically.I miss the river, and I've lost about 3.5k. I'm down to 1700, and taking a lot of flak.Had this been a cash game, I think my play would have been more-or-less correct (I should have forseen the all in on the turn when I was deciding to call his raise on the flop, which would have offered 38% pot odds), but in a tournament, I ended up losing most of my chips gambling on an improbable outcome.Would you fold this hand, despite the good odds the pot is giving, and if so, when? The call on the turn is the real killer in terms of stack size, since it required half of what I had left, but I think the call of his raise on the flop is what really should have decided whether I was commited to this hand, even though the extra 1000 it was apparently asking for wasn't that much.I'm aware of the idea of not putting your whole tournament on the line because of pot odds, but this was a hand I felt it difficult to get away from. When should I have bailed?

fold preflop
So only play it when in position? Or are you just a tight pre-flop player?I couldn't have been much more in position - if the button hadn't had a decent hand I would have had position from the flop (no-one else was raising much).
So only play it when in position? Or are you just a tight pre-flop player?I couldn't have been much more in position - if the button hadn't had a decent hand I would have had position from the flop (no-one else was raising much).
Position is a lot, but it's not everything. Same with pot odds. Even when you hit a favorable flop like this, you're going to miss your draw the majority of the time and you have to consider how vulnerable your chip position will be when you do, compared with what dominant position you'll have if you make it. I think it's a fair gamble to take on the button if blinds are smaller, but considering you'll be investing about 25% of your stack before the turn, your implied odds don't justify playing this hand at all.

If the buy-in for this tournament is under $100, you should fold this preflop with your stack size everytime, even if you are a loose player. Unless MAYBE it folds to you and the people to your left are all really tight. It's not like you can play small ball with this hand like Daniel does in big events where everyone is sitting at 100x BB.

If the buy-in for this tournament is under $100, you should fold this preflop with your stack size everytime, even if you are a loose player. Unless MAYBE it folds to you and the people to your left are all really tight. It's not like you can play small ball with this hand like Daniel does in big events where everyone is sitting at 100x BB.
As Bubba says, its an implied odds issue. The chances of hitting a playable hand that gets action AND holds up dont justify the investment.