Pokertracker And Standard Deviation

Once again, let me apologize if this is a FAQ, but I searched on "standard deviation" and got a zillion unrelated threads. I'll assume this is the right forum for this since a PokerTracker thread is stickied up at the top.In Poker Tracker, under Sessions/More Detail, it gives meStandard Deviation/100: 22.1 -- 44.8 Big BetsI'm assuming this information is most useful for bankroll management. So what, specifically, does this mean in terms of bankroll management, and also, what does it mean in terms of what I need to prepare for, psychologically, as far as swings in my bankroll. I've had a couple of $100 swings lately at low limits, and am wondering, is this an expected swing for the SD (BB = 0.25), is it mild, or is this just the tip of the iceberg? Or isn't the SD even useful for this? Is this just the session deviation, heavily influenced by a few short sessions with big +/-?

Once again, let me apologize if this is a FAQ, but I searched on "standard deviation" and got a zillion unrelated threads. I'll assume this is the right forum for this since a PokerTracker thread is stickied up at the top.In Poker Tracker, under Sessions/More Detail, it gives meStandard Deviation/100: 22.1 -- 44.8 Big BetsI'm assuming this information is most useful for bankroll management. So what, specifically, does this mean in terms of bankroll management, and also, what does it mean in terms of what I need to prepare for, psychologically, as far as swings in my bankroll. I've had a couple of $100 swings lately at low limits, and am wondering, is this an expected swing for the SD (BB = 0.25), is it mild, or is this just the tip of the iceberg? Or isn't the SD even useful for this? Is this just the session deviation, heavily influenced by a few short sessions with big +/-?
At the risk of sounding crazy by replying to myself, I accidentally stumbled on this article while looking up other things on the internet today, so to anyone else who wants to know the answer to this, follow this link:http://www.bet-the-pot.com/bankroll-standa...ion-page43.html
At the risk of sounding crazy by replying to myself, I accidentally stumbled on this article while looking up other things on the internet today, so to anyone else who wants to know the answer to this, follow this link:http://www.bet-the-pot.com/bankroll-standa...ion-page43.html
You DO sound a little crazy, and I DO appreciate the link.
In Poker Tracker, under Sessions/More Detail, it gives meStandard Deviation/100: 22.1 -- 44.8 Big Bets
Is it just me or is that SD huge? Mine is like 15BB. My PT db is most .5/1 and 1/2 full ring limit with some 6 max at both levels thrown in.

out of interest mine was:14.4 at party10.7 at absolute11 at crypto15.5 at empireshould i be worried that after a similar number of hands, at the same limit, I am up $840 at very tight empire games and down $0.90 at loose party games?Seems like it should be the opposite. Is this enough to draw some conclusions from, or just short-term variation?for anyone curious, using the BTP formula:with an SD of 15, an average win rate of 0.5bb/hr and a 1% risk of ruin, bankroll needs to be:1036 big bets.those are about the tightest assumptions can get.with an SD of 15, an average win rate of 2bb/hr and a 5% risk of ruin, it becomes:337 bets.to get closer to 300, you have to be a very skilled player (Note its bb/hr, not bb/100), be willing to take on more than 5% risk, or have a very low standard deviation.

that link went over my head. I suck at math, and probably would need a tutor to get it all. Or re-read it a few times and really try to get it.i get the gist of it, but i dont understand the math behind it.I just started using PT, so this is kinda funny...my 100nl 6 max statsafter 1500 handsstandard dev./100 hands : $97, 97 big blinds/100 (or 48bb/100)based on 20 sessions..I need more hands...still cool. I'm in love with PT.- Jordan

for anyone curious, using the BTP formula:with an SD of 15, an average win rate of 0.5bb/hr and a 1% risk of ruin, bankroll needs to be:1036 big bets.those are about the tightest assumptions can get.with an SD of 15, an average win rate of 2bb/hr and a 5% risk of ruin, it becomes:337 bets.to get closer to 300, you have to be a very skilled player (Note its bb/hr, not bb/100), be willing to take on more than 5% risk, or have a very low standard deviation.
I was under the impression that the standard 300BB malmuth rule of thumb was for 1% risk, and typical SD/WRs.