Firefly  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Firefly

• I liked it
    • I disliked it
    • meh
    • I haven't seen it

It's extremely rare that anyone ever says a bad thing about Firefly. And the good stuff that people say is usually very passionate. So how is it that the movie failed, and a tv network hasn't picked up a new series, if everybody likes it. Is it that there is a small, vocal group of diehard fans among a general population which is uninterested?Are there a lot of people who dislike it but don't make their opinion heard?Have most people still not seen it?

Fox screwed Firefly. They wouldn't let them run the pilot first, and they constantly moved it's time slot.

Fox screwed Firefly. They wouldn't let them run the pilot first, and they constantly moved it's time slot.
But now that people appreciate how great it is, and it's been re-run, and the DVDs have sold in huge numbers, why hasn't a tv exec said "Fox screwed up Firefly the first time. If we comissioned a new series and promoted it properly it would make us huge amounts of money."?

I think another problem is that it was released during the Enterprise, FarScape, Stargate science fiction boom and it was assumed to be just another geeky sci-fi show. Who knew it was going to be the best show on television?

But now that people appreciate how great it is, and it's been re-run, and the DVDs have sold in huge numbers, why hasn't a tv exec said "Fox screwed up Firefly the first time. If we comissioned a new series and promoted it properly it would make us huge amounts of money."?
Who knows? I've never been inclined to think that tv execs were smart.

My aunt was a huuuuge buffy fan, so when the same guy made firefly she tuned in faithfully. She really loved that show too, but like Nikki said, the powers that be never gave it a real shot to succeed. Furthermore, I think the reason it hasn't been picked up is that it is in fact a small, extremely vocal group that is demanding more episodes etc. But if the cash ain't there it's probably not gonna happen. I saw a couple episodes and really wasn't all that impressed, but maybe if they actually had shown the pilot first I would have gotten into it more. I just got the feeling that we were joining a story already in progress and they did little to make me care about the characters in the first couple episodes that aired. So, I skipped the movie too, figured it would be more of the same vibe. But, my dad watched it and said that they actually did some character development etc. so he wasn't lost or anything.I'll probably check it out eventually, but I doubt I'll be clammering for them to bring it back to tv...

My aunt was a huuuuge buffy fan, so when the same guy made firefly she tuned in faithfully. She really loved that show too, but like Nikki said, the powers that be never gave it a real shot to succeed. Furthermore, I think the reason it hasn't been picked up is that it is in fact a small, extremely vocal group that is demanding more episodes etc. But if the cash ain't there it's probably not gonna happen. I saw a couple episodes and really wasn't all that impressed, but maybe if they actually had shown the pilot first I would have gotten into it more. I just got the feeling that we were joining a story already in progress and they did little to make me care about the characters in the first couple episodes that aired. So, I skipped the movie too, figured it would be more of the same vibe. But, my dad watched it and said that they actually did some character development etc. so he wasn't lost or anything.I'll probably check it out eventually, but I doubt I'll be clammering for them to bring it back to tv...
Thanks, that's the opinion that I suppose most people must have. We just never hear it.Btw, you should really check out the show :club:
Thanks, that's the opinion that I suppose most people must have. We just never hear it.Btw, you should really check out the show :club:
Maybe I'll try a grab a torrent or three and give it a another shot. I usually dig sci-fi stuff, and since this show has developed such a hardcore following they must've done something right.

Firefly is my favourite tv show ever. As likely many people who read this knowing what it is going into the topic will likely know/remember, I am a huge fan. Geek like fanatism here. I did not even notice the show when it first ran. I was exposed to it by a friend, and fell in love immediately. I became addicted, I still am. I need more. I am going to watch one or two eps tonight, or Serenity.I don't normally do these things, and I don't remember how I cam across this one, but this guy seems to have done some homework.http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/revivefireflyIt occured to me that this link might be usefullhttp://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...981

I was totally unaware of the TV show when the movie came out. I thought the previews for the movie looked decent, but ultimately ended up not seeing it in the theatres because I didn't want to be disapponted by another movie that put all it's best stuff in the trailer. My roommate bought the movie when it came out on DVD, and I was amazed at how easy it was to get sucked in to that world so quickly. Without ever seeing a single episode of the TV show, I was able to really enjoy the movie and can say it was one of my favorites from last year. I've since started Netflixing the TV show, and it's also amazingly good. I've said it before, I'll say it again. With the right promotion on the right network, Firefly could easily be as big as or bigger than Lost. It's just that good. I really hope Serenity isn't the last chapter and I hope the show is given another chance to succeed.

Here's a link to an interview with Alan Tudyk (Wash) with some good information. In the interview he says that Universal signed a three picture deal for the Firefly series, so it's possible there will still be more films. Even though the movie didn't make it's budget back at the box office, DVD sales should definitely push it over the top and make it profitable. I'd think (hope) there's at least a sequel coming down the road...http://actionadventure.about.com/od/news/a/aa071404.htm#

Here's a link to an interview with Alan Tudyk (Wash) with some good information. In the interview he says that Universal signed a three picture deal for the Firefly series, so it's possible there will still be more films. Even though the movie didn't make it's budget back at the box office, DVD sales should definitely push it over the top and make it profitable. I'd think (hope) there's at least a sequel coming down the road...http://actionadventure.about.com/od/news/a/aa071404.htm#
Thanks!

I'm a huge fan of the show. I will admit though that I never watched it while it was on Fox (I am a DVD convert). Which, reading the history of the show and how Fox f'd up everything, catching it on DVD seems like it was the best approach. I'll also admit that I am a closet Buffy and Angel fan. Joss Whedon is an excellent writer and has proven himself as a very good director. I even read some writer's opinion that the Academy made a big mistake in excluding Serenity from many categories (including Best Director). Funny too, since the big three that Hollywood fell in love with (Crash, Brokeback, and Goodnight) were all pretty BAD movies.As for the multi-picture deal, I have heard that Serenity could be considered the third (chronologically) in the trilogy, which could make sense. That could also allow for more development of the series post "Objects in Space." (excellent ep, BTW)Finally, I think that continuing the Firefly franchise will always be on Joss' plate, but with opportunities like Wonder Woman, it seems like he is keeping busy.

As for the multi-picture deal, I have heard that Serenity could be considered the third (chronologically) in the trilogy, which could make sense. That could also allow for more development of the series post "Objects in Space." (excellent ep, BTW)
That would be great, as I can't see myself enjoying the franchise as much without the characters who didn't live past Serenity (just in case anyone reading this doesn't want it spoiled).
Thats a really old interview. There is still a lot of speculation as to what will happen with the series. One of the biggest issues now is getting the whole crew together to work on it. Joss is off doing Wonder Woman, some of the other actors have new jobs etc. Sidenote, if they do move on with a new movie, I'd rather see a sequeal than a something that takes place in the timeline before Serenity. As much as I would like to learn more about Book's past and where his story was going leaving it a mystery is fine with me. Wash ... bleh. He was my least favorite character.
Sidenote, if they do move on with a new movie, I'd rather see a sequeal than a something that takes place in the timeline before Serenity. As much as I would like to learn more about Book's past and where his story was going leaving it a mystery is fine with me. Wash ... bleh. He was my least favorite character.
If they do make another movie, I would thank god regardless of the timeline the movie would fit in, or the plot. I would get very giddy, like a little school girl, for the many months wait.
If they do make another movie, I would thank god regardless of the timeline the movie would fit in, or the plot. I would get very giddy, like a little school girl, for the many months wait.
It's funny how you magically showup everytime a new firefly post is made :club:
So far we have no votes by people that have seen it and not liked it. I just thought I'd point that out.
Funny, as I came back to the thread, I was going to point out the same thing. I'm just way too biased though! Still, there have only been 15 votes.
It's funny how you magically showup everytime a new firefly post is made :club:
I'm funny that way. Also, unless I missed any, this is only the second one, and I started the first, so it isn't hard show up for them. If this isn't only the second one, then it is not the case that I show up everytime there is a new Firefly thread. Although, if memory serves, I even posted a Firefly Haiku back when that thread was new and popular.Really, it's just one of the few topics I am passionate about. Oh, God how I love this show.