Answer To Quiz Question #12

This was a little bit of a trick question, and the point of the hand was to discuss something related to situations like these. This is an extreme situation where going all in would be the correct play. The key reason for that, though, isn't the "math" behind the problem, it's based on the final board. The key element to this hand is that the river card that your opponent bet was a card that your opponent might value bet with LOTS of hands that you can beat. He'll also call a high enough percentage of the time that it makes it a good situation to go all in. The ace on the river could have made your opponent aces up (in which case he might bet), a straight (in which case he may bet), and a smaller flush (in which case he may bet. Since YOU bet the hand on the flop AND the turn, your opponent isn't necessarily going to give you credit for a flush. If that ace helped him in anyway, he will likely value bet that card with any hand that it helped. So, again, the key reason that going all in is the correct play is that YOU didn't play your hand like a flush. You played your hand like a made hand versus a drawing hand since you bet the flop AND turn. The question wasn't too difficult, but understanding the reason why is something that migh help you in the future.

I'm sure you probably made people overthink the situation by even making this a decision. It'd be closer to a decision if you had like a small flush, but not with the 2nd nuts. I doubt anyone that did answer just call would actually just call if they played this hand out. I'm sure most would be itching to get their chips in there.

I'm sure you probably made people overthink the situation by even making this a decision. It'd be closer to a decision if you had like a small flush, but not with the 2nd nuts. I doubt anyone that did answer just call would actually just call if they played this hand out. I'm sure most would be itching to get their chips in there.