poker setup - computer recommendations wanted

I'm looking to buy a new computer strictly for online poker use. The problem is, I know very little about computers in general. Basically, I want to get a reliable CPU that can run multiple poker clients, additional software (ptracker, etc), without wasting my money on additional features that I will have no use for.To those of you that are familar with this stuff, what would you recommend as the best products out there? Also, I'm looking to get a nice, big monitor (upwards of 34 inches)... any suggestions as to what provides the best value?I should also mention that I hate Dell with a passion, and would sooner use an abacus than give them a cent of my money.Thanks in advance.

I'm looking to buy a new computer strictly for online poker use. The problem is, I know very little about computers in general. Basically, I want to get a reliable CPU that can run multiple poker clients, additional software (ptracker, etc), without wasting my money on additional features that I will have no use for.To those of you that are familar with this stuff, what would you recommend as the best products out there? Also, I'm looking to get a nice, big monitor (upwards of 34 inches)... any suggestions as to what provides the best value?I should also mention that I hate Dell with a passion, and would sooner use an abacus than give them a cent of my money.Thanks in advance.
34 inch monitor? just kill yourself and save us the trouble
34 inch monitor? just kill yourself and save us the trouble
don't be a dick.OP, what i've done is get a fanless sony vaio with a 22" crt monitor that can handle 9 tables at once at max resolution. that works fine for me, including pokertracker, but it ran me back about 1300 USD a year ago.if you run pokertracker while you play, you'll need a pretty hefty CPU if you multitable (3GHz P4+, 512MB+ ram). if you don't run PT, anything over 2GHz with a separate graphics card is fine.the monitor is obviously your biggest concern... what matters here isn't size, but rather resolution, and a CRT monitor will be both cheaper and have higher resolutions than LCDs of the same size. if you have ample desk space, 2 used 19" CRTs will do you better than 1 30" LCD in terms of screen space, and save you a ton of cash. if you don't have the room for two big CRTs, then i'd recommend two LCDs of 19-22" rather than one huge one. you'll get more overall resolution that way, and stuff won't be horribly small.the brand doesn't really matter. if you have someone that will build something for you, then go that way, but if you don't, pretty much any brand but gateway is ok as far as i know. i've used sonys and dells, and have had a problem with neither. good luck!

If it's an LCD monitor, just make sure you get a 20" one at least, you want to have at least 1600X1200 resolution. Everything else doesn't really matter much, you may want more ram though for everything to run smoothly, especially with pokertracker, it can really lag up your system.Your computer doesn't need to be that crazy to handle online poker, as long as the processor is reliable and have sufficient ram, everything will run smoothly.I'd recommend the Dell 2001fp 20" LCD monitor personally, that's the one I use and I know a lot of people like it too.

if you want to get a good computer for online usage u dont need much on the specs line. basically u could go to the computer markets the ones run by illegal imigrants and work em down. top of the range computer that can run most of todays programs for arounnd 400 US, the reason for this is because the adds on tv attack the non tech savvy for 2 grand wen it costs about 200. for poker and poker only u could get a good one for around 200 but ur gonna need to set it up, hope u have a nerdy friendif u want a list of stuff u should by ide be more than happy to help you out and save u sum bucks