pt swings

I started playing online last August. I started out playing $5 SNGs and moved up to $10. Here are my PT numbers:$5.00 102 tournys ROI% -54 fin in $$ - 50% avg fin - 3.86$10.00 163 tournys ROI% - 6.9 fin in $$ - 40% avg fin - 4.47That feels like a much bigger swing than the difference in skill between 5s and 10s. most of the $5 tourneys were in my first 2 months. Then I leveled off, had a good November with $10s and have been stagnet ever since. Was I just on a good run and should expect ROI to be around 10%? feels low. things haven't been going my way the last few months. The 5 and 10 games don't seem that different, not enough to cause the huge ROI swing. so could this be variance or cards or what?all this averages out to ROI of 18%. which I don't think is bad, but not great either. I'm just frustrated with not building any money the last few months and looking for a pattern or something.thanks for any feedback.

I would guess that you were on the good side of variance with the 54% ROI. That is very tough to achieve at any level.It also looks from these numbers like your $5 results were a lot of 1st place finishes balanced by some fairly early outs. If that is correct, did your 1st places result from good HU play or from going in with massive stacks?The $10 results look like a lot of lower finishes and some bubble hands.They may indicate that you got more passive when you moved up.At these levels an ROI of 25% or so should be achievable.

It feels like a lot of those 1st place finishes have turned into 2nds and even 3rds. I play pretty tight and only once in a while have a big lead. Heads up has felt much more difficult than it used to. I'm usually 2/3rds behind the leader at heads up.$51 - 23%2 - 17%3 - 9%4 - 10%5 - 10%6 - 11%7 - 6%8 - 2%9 - 8%$101 - 11%2 - 16$3 - 13%4 - 16%5 - 12%6 - 7%7 - 7%8 - 6%9 - 10%Actually a lot of 1sts have turned to 3rds and 4ths. Looks like I need to be more agressive around the bubble, eh? Most of the time m M is low enough at the bubble that if I try a steal and get caught I'm looking for a coin toss and usually missing. Which means I should be stealing sooner, right? Maybe I should be agressive with 6 left, not 4? souding good, I need to do something. I miss those 1st places!

As copernicus said, the ROI at the $5 level is probably being significantly affected by the positive side of variance. That is an insanely high ROI, for any level. If you browse through the sing table tournament forum on 2+2 you can find a lot of discussion (though take it all with a grain of salt) about what sorts of ROIs are sustainable at different buyin levels.

You are definitely in the short run here so you can give your results much validity. I would need at least 500 SNGs to even possibly sonsider my results the long run. The attainable ROIs at each level in the long run are as follows:11s - 25% ROI20s - 20% ROI33s - 16% ROI55s - 13% ROI109s - 10% ROI215s - 7% ROI You might be able to do a little better if you aren't multi-tableing. These #s assume multi tableing. These #s were put together by a very skilled 2 plus 2 poster w/ great experience at each level. It doesn't look like he every played $5s but this should give you a good idea. For instance, I wouldn't move up unless you have 500 SNGs under your belt & have achieved the above ROI at the given level unless you can definitely tell that the players are donks and you are far above their skill level (& not just getting lucky). Just my 2 cents.

You are definitely in the short run here so you can give your results much validity. I would need at least 500 SNGs to even possibly sonsider my results the long run. The attainable ROIs at each level in the long run are as follows:11s - 25% ROI20s - 20% ROI33s - 16% ROI55s - 13% ROI109s - 10% ROI215s - 7% ROI You might be able to do a little better if you aren't multi-tableing. These #s assume multi tableing. These #s were put together by a very skilled 2 plus 2 poster w/ great experience at each level. It doesn't look like he every played $5s but this should give you a good idea. For instance, I wouldn't move up unless you have 500 SNGs under your belt & have achieved the above ROI at the given level unless you can definitely tell that the players are donks and you are far above their skill level (& not just getting lucky). Just my 2 cents.
Single tabling double these are attainable at the 55s and 100s. Dont know about the 200s.