I just started playing Omaha and essentially try to play a super tight, playing the nuts or near nuts game. Villian here sits down says "we're about to have some fun and raise the average pot of this table", and he's true to his word. He self-proclaims that he plays the .10/.25 PLO when he's on tilt. Raises EVERYTHING pre-flop, and while he almost always pots as a continuation, is able to lay down a hand. I'd love some advice on how I could have played this different. Oh, and yes, the villian's chip stack is real, and after only about two hours of play. People loved dumping him money.Ultimate Bet Pot-Limit Omaha High, $.25 BB (7 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cxUTG ($10)MP1 ($7.65)Hero ($62.80)CO ($16)Button ($9.10)SB ($22.40)BB =#A500AF((Villian))/ ($332.05)Preflop: Hero is MP2 with [Kh], [Qd], [Th], [Td]. 2 folds, Hero calls $1.10, CO calls $1.10, Button folds.Flop: ($4.40) [7s], [Jd], [Tc] (3 players)(Villian) bets $4.4, CO folds, (Villian) calls $13.20.Turn: ($39.60) [8s] (2 players)(Villian) checks, Hero bets $39.6, (Villian) calls $39.60.River: ($118.80) [As] (2 players)(Villian) checks, Hero checks.Final Pot: $118.80Results in white below: Outcome: Hero wins $118.80. He was pretty censored, wondering how I raise him on the flop. My thought process was he bets every flop, and I had spent the last hour laying down hands to his raises/bets, I wanted to at least define some kind of hand, and against random hands of his I'm feeling ok with middle set and an oe straight draw. The only problem I REALLY have with how I played it was my bet on the turn. Given the board, and his generally solid play (and knowing that he has seen me play pretty solid) I should probably have known I was beat. It turned out it made me money, considering he would have checked with the flush card/straight card on the river and I would have checked as well. So like I said, I'm new to the game, and any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

You might have been beat, but you make this guy sound like a lag, so you need to push back sometimes. I definitely like the flop raise. On the turn, I don't mind pushing here, because it could make him lay down the one hand that screws you the most JJxx. Either jam the turn like you did, or take a free card. Which one is better? I am on the fence. If you say he would lay down hands...I probably push. And if he flopped a straight with T8xx he deserves to lose anyway. :club:

Your flop raise may not seem like a wise decision but it is a highly effective move in PLO, and the exact hand u want to be repotting here is a dry a 98 w. no redraws.Pros: 1)You have postion, so now you take control of the hand. If opp. reraises we know exactly what he has. 2) If we put opp. on a hand such as 9876 ss, on the flop you are the fav.Omaha Hi: 820 enumerated boards containing 7s Tc Jdcards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EVQd Td Kh Th 489 59.63 331 40.37 0 0.00 0.5969s 8s 7c 6h 331 40.37 489 59.63 0 0.00 0.404Vs a hand such as J798 you are a slight dog as opp. holds some of your FH outs.cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EVQd Td Kh Th 387 47.20 433 52.80 0 0.00 0.4729s 8s 7c Jh 433 52.80 387 47.20 0 0.00 0.528The 8 on the turn is a real killer to your hand, you are now b/n ~60-40 to 70-30 dog, so I think checking behind is the better play. You have postion so you should use it. Futhermore, he called your re-raise signifying that his hand is fairly strong. Assuming opp. doesnt have 2 spades, you still have 15 nut outs which is a v. strong hand. If a 6 or below falls on the turn I would prolly lead for 1/2 to 3/4 of pot , even knowing that he had the dry 98 and I am ~40-60 dog. The reason for this is I want to get the max. amount of money in the pot b/f a scare card hits which makes my draw, as I prolly won't be paid off when my draw hits.This style of play has a much greater degree of variance, and is not necesarily needed to be a winning player at $50 max. and under, however once you hit $100 and above, the avg. player is less likely to pay you off when ur draw hits. Thus, it is preferrable to get the money in on earlier streets. Again, there is nothing wrong w. checking the turn and seeing the river, @ $50 max. & under there are still enough players that will pay u off when your draw hits.Edit: only 15 nut outs vs rainbow 9876 = 4 As, 3 9s, 3Js,3 7s, 2 8s

I love these hands that have so many ways to win. I think that the worst case scenario would be for you to have to get it in with the worst on the turn. Position helps you here, and I favor a check on the turn, where you are the weakest. Being a very aggressive player he might have been going for the check raise with the 9Q, putting you in a tough spot. You do have 18 outs ( 16 that don't make the flush where you have the str8). Granted you know some of these are dead, atleast two (an 8 and a 9). Nevertheless, if you check on the turn you 1. get to draw from over a third of the deck for free; 2. can get away if you don't hit, or, win the pot by throwing out a moderate bet on the river, especially if a spade comes and he checks it; 3. Could induce a bluff when you do make your draw- especially if the ace comes, because he might have pegged you on 89Q or something and try to take you off. In addition, he might bluff ( or VB)if the board pairs, showing a full house to beat your str8, but since you would also have a full house (because your hand is so cool), you could call him and expect to win if it wasn't the jack that paired. For these reasons against a super tricky LAG the benefits of checking vastly outweigh those of pot betting, which include fold equity but also the neg side of him calling with the Q9 and the advantage. On A final note you ought to have pushed the last small part of your stack in on the river because he checked indicating no flush and the pot was so big your bet would likely be called.

On A final note you ought to have pushed the last small part of your stack in on the river because he checked indicating no flush and the pot was so big your bet would likely be called.
Yea, I meant to add that on to my original post: don't ask why I didn't push it, cause I don't know. Thanks for all the input. As I mentioned, even as I clicked the button I didn't think the bet on the turn was a very good idea, I was pretty much thinking fold equity and the fact that if he did have the nuts on the flop, he might not have it now and lay it down. Another question: are implied odds as important in omaha high as I act (play) like they are, i.e. more important than in hold em, or at least more identifiable? There are SOOO many players who will raise pf with A's or K's (and sometimes worse), then pot the flop regardless, and often pay you off. Given that, I find that I will often call a raise preflop with a hand that I might not have even limped with.
  • 2 weeks later...

I like the flop raise, as it gives you the information that you need right now - if he re-raises, he probably has trip jacks or a straight draw (wrap possibly). The turn is also a good bet IMO, as it again gave you soem valuable info (unless this guy like to live on the edge and just call with the nuts). No raise from him here to me would indicate no straight.Scary river card, be glad he didnt put in a bet there.Look at decisions, not results. :wink: