protege hand

Can't get hand histories from FCP but this is from the tourney tonight; I'll try to do it from memory.4 seats up for grabs - 21 leftI have about 20K in chips, 2nd in tourney. I find JJ in the SB. Blinds 200/400.EP who is 3rd in chips I believe raises to 1,200. LP (Chip leader with 26K) calls. I call.Flop is 9 4 2 with two hearts. I bet 3,500 (about the pot). EP folds, LP raises to I think 8K. What is my play?I had been recently moved to the table and had no real reads on Chip Leader.

Tough spot, but I'd like to think I'd lay this one down. I'm not ready to risk my remaining 15,000 with a push here, and a call will leave me with a tough spot on the turn. With no real reads on the other player I'm putting him on flush draw or top set, and unless I hit a J on the turn I'm probably check/folding the turn having no more information.With 15,000 left and blinds at 200/400 we still have room to battle back against the other players and leave the chip leader alone. We're not playing for first, so we can pick a better spot to make a move.

I would think that you're still ahead here, probably up against Ax suited in hearts for the flush draw plus what he might think are two overcards. So then the question becomes do you push here or do you just call and push on a non-threatening turn? I might just push right here, and be ticked if this is one of the 1 in 9 times or whatever that villain hit his set.

The way the hand was played out, I think a push is in order. You gotsta make that flush draw pay to get there. If you are up against a higher pocket pair, or someone who flopped trips, so be it.You could have check/raised the flop also, but that is a different discussion. 8)

The only time I wouldnt push is if its a very flat prize structure and 4th /3rd place money is very meaningful.
Doesn't 4th and 3rd pay the same as first in this?
Yes and no. I think first place also gets $200. 8)
Oh... I thought these freerolls were just for seats. If we're playing for first then I push here, otherwise I stick by folding. If I'm still 2nd or 3rd in chips after I fold why risk going broke on this hand? (maybe I'm deluded by lately all the tourney strat posts being about big pocket pairs running into bigger pocket pairs)
The only time I wouldnt push is if its a very flat prize structure and 4th /3rd place money is very meaningful.
I didnt look at the title and see it was a protege tourney. The $200 is meaningless compared to the seats, so I dont see any reason to push here.Re check raising, if EP has two overs he may very well not continuation bet into two pre-flop callers, and I dont want to give him a free card.
I didnt look at the title and see it was a protege tourney. The $200 is meaningless compared to the seats, so I dont see any reason to push here.
well, that is changing your answer based on your opinion of what the prizes are, which isn't fair...lol$200 to me is a lot of money. Making it to the second stage of a protege tourney, while a goal, doesn't give me anything yet. Besdies, there are other chances to make it to the next stage.It's similar to winning a seat in the Main Event of the WSOP IMO. I'd much rather they gave me the $10K to spend however I would want to (I'd buy-in to a bunch of the lower $ ones) at the WSOP, rather than a seat into a 6000 person minefield. But, that is just my opinion. 8)

Theres a post from a few weeks ago where I did the EV calculations assuming that becoming the protege was worth $100,000. I dont remember the stack sizes but the conclusion was to risk the seat to improve your chances at the $200 would only make sense if you were something like a 40000:1 shot to become the protege.It didnt factor in the possibility of the opportunity to win other protege seats, but Id still take the bird in the hand.