top set on straight board

Preflop: econ_tim has Q :) T :) 3 :) Q :club: on ButtonUTG calls, 3 folds, CO calls, econ_tim calls, SB completes, BB checks.Flop: ($1.25) 8 :D J :) Q :D SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets $1.20, UTG folds, econ_tim calls, SB calls.Turn: (huge) 5 :D SB checks, BB bets $5.00, econ_tim calls, SB calls.River: (huger) 2 :) SB chekcs, BB bets $20.00, econ_tim folds, SB folds.Any place to play this differently?

I would most likely play it the same for what its worth but I think its pretty close to an even money proposition (with 3 in the hand).When you hit the hand and get paid extra its nice. However I wonder if UTG could have had some of your outs though (maybe a lower set?, obviously he doesnt have the straight/topset). Looks like the SB did too but I dont think you had any way to know that for sure.

Would a preflop raise narrow the field? If yes than IMO you need to be more aggressive early to help define your opponents hands and take the lead. Your on the button, use it, and your early aggresion could buy you an extra card, or the pot, later. Also, after the 5 comes on the turn, what was your initial thought for the river? Are you---Way ahead? Way behind? No idea?

Folding to the flop check/raise is mathematically correct. You've got about a 1/3 chance to win and you're putting $5 into a $7.45 pot. Even if you don't assume a straight is already made, you can't like the chances of top set holding up, so you're drawing for a boat.

Folding to the flop check/raise is mathematically correct. You've got about a 1/3 chance to win and you're putting $5 into a $7.45 pot. Even if you don't assume a straight is already made, you can't like the chances of top set holding up, so you're drawing for a boat.
i see what you're saying, but i think you've got the numbers wrongi have to put in $3.80 more when the pot is about $10.
i have to put in $3.80 more when the pot is about $10.
I missed the $1.20 you had already put in. nh then, though folding the turn as Smash suggested is probably even better. Didn't bother to run that one through my head though.
Preflop: econ_tim has Q :) T :) 3 :) Q :club: on ButtonUTG calls, 3 folds, CO calls, econ_tim calls, SB completes, BB checks.Flop: ($1.25) 8 :D J :) Q :D  SB checks, BB checks, UTG bets $1.20, UTG folds, econ_tim calls, SB calls.Turn: (huge) 5 :D  SB checks, BB bets $5.00, econ_tim calls, SB calls.River: (huger) 2 :)  SB chekcs, BB bets $20.00, econ_tim folds, SB folds.Any place to play this differently?
Not sure the math dictates a call on the turn as being mathematically correct, even with implied odds taken into consideration (how much do you think you will be able to make when the board pairs from the guy with the straight?) With only ten outs, I don't think it is right. Can you plug that into the odds calculator (the one with pokertracker for example)?