was this the right play?

NLHE tourny, got down to heads up, blinds were 400-800, I had about 9,500 in chips and my opponent had about 40,000 in chips. The player on the button limped in and i checked in the big blind with A :D 7 :D. I would usually move in with this hand pre-flop in this situation but my opponent happened to be drunk and was calling anything regardless of his cards so i knew that if i hit the flop i would double up without a doubt and figured that taking a flop was the best choice. The flop came 3 :D 4 :club: 5 :) giving me a two way straight draw and back door flush draw plus an over card that i knew was probably good if i hit it. So i checked, he bet 1,000 and i moved in for the rest of my chips. He immediatly called with 5 6 and i missed my draw and lost the tourney. Do you guys have any suggestions on how i could've played this hand differently?

NLHE tourny, got down to heads up, blinds were 400-800, I had about 9,500 in chips and my opponent had about 40,000 in chips.  The player on the button limped in and i checked in the big blind with A :D 7 :D. I would usually move  in with this hand pre-flop in this situation but my opponent happened to be drunk and was calling anything regardless of his cards so i knew that if i hit the flop i would double up without a doubt and figured that taking a flop was the best choice.   The flop came 3 :D 4 :club:  5 :) giving me a two way straight draw and back door flush draw plus an over card that i knew was probably good if i hit it.  So i checked,  he bet 1,000 and i moved in for the rest of my chips. He immediatly called with 5 6 and i missed my draw and lost the tourney.  Do you guys have any suggestions on how i could've played this hand differently?
How about a re-raise? or fold? i'm not a big fan of moving all-in here. i think you could have picked a better spot to dbl up...too much to chase...IMO...

Its a good push, with an open ended straight draw and two over cards, you're usually going to be a favorite against one pair (in this case you were in worse shape since he had a 6). Very nice semi-bluff.

First of all, hu you have to believe your A is good. A preflop raise of 3-4 x bb is the minimum that I would make.Post flop, I would raise, then stop and think if he reraises. You have enuff chips to go around 35 times or so, you can find a much better hand to push with.

First of all, hu you have to believe your A is good.  A preflop raise of 3-4 x bb is the minimum that I would make.Post flop, I would raise, then stop and think if he reraises.  You have enuff chips to go around 35 times or so, you can find a much better hand to push with.
Err, he has 9500 chips with 400/800 blinds...