your input regarding this play.

With about 100 people left in a tourney, I'm chip leader of my table. I have about 23,000 the next closest has about 14,000. The table was 10 handed.I wasn't necessarily nutbaring, but I had raised about 10 hands in a row. And it all seemed perfect. UTG I receive AsAh. Blinds are 400-800. I bet 2500.everybody folds up to the BB(BB was second in chips). He ponders for a second and calls. The flop comes Jd Qc 8h. I bet 4000 and he calls without hesitation.The turn comes JcJd Qc 8h JcI check and he goes all-in. What would you have done? I will save what I done until after a few responses.

How many chips does he have ? How has he been playing?
This matters.But also... I make the same play he made with a Queen probably, so how much his bet is makes a bigger difference.

He had 14,000 in chips and I couldnt recall a single time he made such a move. The entire time I was bullying the table he never called a single hand, so he was in tight gear.I dont recall the exact amount, he had approx. 14,000 before then hand, I recall the all in at that time being 8,000 or so5400 pot pre flop13,400 pot at the time of the all in.

Maybe he was waiting to make a move on you. If you play it out, I would put my money in %90 he made this move, putting him on A-Q, or K-Q. It sounds like in your case he did have the J but he misplayed it IMO. If you had raised 10 of the last 10 pots, surely a level headed player would have let you put his chips in the pot for him.(edited to %90 from %100..got excited...apologies)

I think I'd call here. If he does have a J, why would he push so hard now. This is a great card for him. I don't think a club on the river would scare him, and the J doesn't effect straight draws. IMO he's not pushing with a J hereIt's more likely to me that he has an oesd, and maybe picked up a club draw to boot with Jc. I think a lot of people would push here with a Q too. All of which you're ahead of. That's why I call.Cheers.

i think that you have the best hand. if he moved in really quickly, that increases the likelyhood that he was bluffing. however, he could also have a J, but you have chips to spare if you are wrong. this bet seems really fishy and if you are playing to win and not playing to cash, call it. if your rent money is dependent on you cashing, fold. but seriously call this bet.

That's exactly what I thought. I said to myself over and over. If I had a jack or even 9,10 in his shoes, wouldnt I let mr scooby bite at the pot again? that was enough responses. I folded the hand. I tried chatting it up for any kind of info and nothing resulted. I was still in good shape with or without the pot so I let it go. to be honest it ate me alive for the next few hands wondering if I let a small pair or K,Q take me down.But then the relief came. About 6 hands later a similar situation occured with him in the pot. Something to the effect of 5 X J. Him calling a big bet and a 5 coming on the turn and him going all in. He got looked up that time and sure enough he had A5So that's why I came to the forum. Is this hand any kind of tell that he more then likely had it?Thanks for all the help.

That's exactly what I thought. I said to myself over and over. If I had a jack or even 9,10 in his shoes, wouldnt I let mr scooby bite at the pot again? that was enough responses. I folded the hand. I tried chatting it up for any kind of info and nothing resulted. I was still in good shape with or without the pot so I let it go. to be honest it ate me alive for the next few hands wondering if I let a small pair or K,Q take me down.But then the relief came. About 6 hands later a similar situation occured with him in the pot. Something to the effect of 5 X J. Him calling a big bet and a 5 coming on the turn and him going all in. He got looked up that time and sure enough he had A5So that's why I came to the forum. Is this hand any kind of tell that he more then likely had it?Thanks for all the help.
I'm not sure if this makes it any more likely that he had the J in the previous hand you mentioned. The board was a bit more co-oridinated in the first example, with the straight draw on the flop, and the flush draw coming on the turn. Opening up more options for him to be betting on. Plus, we're talking about the chances of calling a raise with a 5 in your hand versus a J. Having the 5 just seems like a donk getting lucky to me.

First thing I am raising AA more the 2400 in this spot as the chip lead. You have to figure that you are going to get called more then likely by a worst hand so, pre flop I am making it 4000+ to go.The real issue checking the turn, the big blind senses weakness and that is why he is all in. However do consider what he may have called your 2400 pre flop bet with. I don’t think he has KK QQ AK JJ as he would have re raised you, because you have raised so many hands previously.If he did have a JQ J8 or JJ he would have raised all in on the flop. What cards could he called with? I’m guessing he has AQ. He is putting you on AK due to your rather weak pre flop bet, he is making his move.However the turn card is a very ugly card for you!

The more I recall the situation the more I see that a call was the best option. Flipping the script, what do you usually do when a guy has been hotrodding a table for a few hands? You make a stand, and he did. he could have had a lowsy Q with a low kicker. The flush possibility on the turn could have made him go into defense mode.Under the heat of the moment the gut felt it was beat, but I see now that in the future I need to put more emphasis on putting the pieces together. You do play to win, having AA after a surge of raising is exactly what you want and if you're beat, you're beat.But I really did hammer down and re-think and re-think. there were a lot of hands out there that were deadly and and a hand full of hands that I could be dead in the water to. I still faired fairly well in the tourney. i'm not going to be one of those people that says he went out with some horrible beat to save face. Never been that type. I made a few horrible calls in early position with mediocre hands(K,9's, QJ's) and the chips quickly vanished. But the gear at which I was playing this tourney, I really felt like I could hold my own with disregard for what I had in the hole. I got close but no cigar, which is exactly what I should have got, for my play.

The more I recall the situation the more I see that a call was the best option. Flipping the script, what do you usually do when a guy has been hotrodding a table for a few hands?You make a stand, and he did. he could have had a lowsy Q with a low kicker. The flush possibility on the turn could have made him go into defense mode.Under the heat of the moment the gut felt it was beat, but I see now that in the future I need to put more emphasis on putting the pieces together. You do play to win, having AA after a surge of raising is exactly what you want and if you're beat, you're beat.But I really did hammer down and re-think and re-think. there were a lot of hands out there that were deadly and and a hand full of hands that I could be dead in the water to. I still faired fairly well in the tourney. i'm not going to be one of those people that says he went out with some horrible beat to save face. Never been that type. I made a few horrible calls in early position with mediocre hands(K,9's, QJ's) and the chips quickly vanished. But the gear at which I was playing this tourney, I really felt like I could hold my own with disregard for what I had in the hole. I got close but no cigar, which is exactly what I should have got, for my play.
I'll just add a bit more of my feel on the hand, and what I would've done. Maybe it will generate some discussion from some of the more experienced players. (I'm average AT BEST!! ... maybe even a bit below average, but don't tell anyone)The one mistake I think you made was not pumping it on the flop. Maybe even put your opponent all in. On this flop, I think you'll agree that Aces are very, very likely the best hand. Put that together with the fact that you've raised the last 10 hands or so, and you're pretty likely to get a call from anyone with a Q, or a J in their hand, who thinks you're trying to push them around. Then you're definitely getting it in with the best hand. If someone hits thier 2 outer for trips, or draws out by some other means, ... well what can u do right. But getting someone to call off their stack when they're that far behind is always a good move in my mind. Ray.

Thanks for your input. What is the old motto, "never slow play AA KK because you never get away from them". I know better then how I played , but under this circumstance I did it anyway. Well I got away from them but I indeed made a weak preflop bet, a weaker flop stance, thus I was asking to be beat. I should have weighed my image, let him see a flop and hammer it home.

Thanks for your input. What is the old motto, "never slow play AA KK because you never get away from them". I know better then how I played , but under this circumstance I did it anyway. Well I got away from them but I indeed made a weak preflop bet, a weaker flop stance, thus I was asking to be beat. I should have weighed my image, let him see a flop and hammer it home.
I agree,And at least you didn't "marry" yourself to your hand. You forced yourself to make a tough decision, and you thought it out and made one. Just to recap, I don't think your fold, at that time in the hand was necessarily a bad play. You were guessing by then, and decided to fold and try again later. It's making the plays to avoid these guessing games that are the hard part. Especially when it's in the "heat of the moment".

its a genuinely tough decision, no doubt about it. i'd probably swing towards calling here, plus you're getting decent odds. i would have got a lot more in pre and post flop. i like overbetting preflop with good hands as chip leader to mix it up a bit and keep the others under pressure.