I have yet to see thread about this and probably because no one is interested in playing poker if $$ isn't involved. But has anyone played any of the current poker video games on the market (WSOP or WPT)? If so, are they any good? Do they suck? Comments/opinions/flames...fire away.

I have the WPT plug n play game. The AI isn't very good (and it's rigged), but it can still be fun to play. You can set it up to play heads up against the computer or against two opponents, etc. or you can play against other people if you don't feel like getting the chips out. It keeps track of your career winnings and hand stats and stuff like that. I won the WPT Championship; I rule. :club: Obviously nothing compared to real poker, but it's worth $20, IMO.

WPT is pretty horrible for the poker, but it's a 20 dollar time killer.The beats you take will drive you to break the game. The AI will call your all in with T5, K8 etc and will catch on you seemingly every time.The MTT system is horrible since time is simulated, effectively ruining your play.Your opponents have effectively played hundreds of hands where as you may have HAD 40 hands and only PLAYED 10 of them because the cards you get are sucking. If you make it to the final table you'll generally be the short stack with about a 15:1 stack disadvantage. (You'll have around 10k and the chipleader will have anywhere from 60 to 120k, depending how even the table is)It's all because while you've played 40 hands, the opponents from other tables have played 400 and had a lot of time to build their stacks.It's serious design flaw.

Thanks for the insight. The PS2 and Xbox ones are constantly being asked for as Xmas gifts for nephews, but if I'm gonna introduce them to poker I want to ensure these are worthy purchases. Maybe I can test play them somewhere.Thanks again.

If only there was a good Poker Video game out there that we could buy before Christmas..........ah, but that would make too sense for the makers of Stacked wouldn't it????? (originally due out in March 2005!)Hopefully, it will be good if it ever does come out.

I have both World Championship games and the WSOP one. As for poker play they suck but its somewhat fun. Good time killer, i reccomend paying the $20 and just wait for Stacked to come out. The only reason i bought these games were just to hold me till Stacked comes out.

I wouldnt buy any of these poker video games.I just dont see the market appeal in these games. You can already play online for play money and its completly free (as opposed to paying $25 or more for a disk). I dont think the real hard core poker players will play it because theres no real money involved. And its not all that hard to buy a deck of cards and play with your friends (either for pennies or M&Ms).I could be completely wrong about the game market, and maybe they have some trick up their sleeve to make it a little more appealing than the alternatives, but I dont think a lot of people are going to pay good money for these games. With game prices being as high as they are, spending money on a fake poker game seems like a waste of money to me.

Poker video games are -EV.Seriously, why would anyone want to pay money to pretend to play poker, when they could just do the real thing and actually have money on the line. I get bored to death whenever I have less than $100 in a game, but it seems like even playing .01/.02 would be more fun than playing pretend poker. I really can't imagine these games having any appeal whatsoever for anyone who actually plays poker.Really, I think the only reason this game even has a market is the under-18 crowd that's not allowed to deposit $50 into a poker account.

Poker video games are -EV.Seriously, why would anyone want to pay money to pretend to play poker, when they could just do the real thing and actually have money on the line. I get bored to death whenever I have less than $100 in a game, but it seems like even playing .01/.02 would be more fun than playing pretend poker. I really can't imagine these games having any appeal whatsoever for anyone who actually plays poker.Really, I think the only reason this game even has a market is the under-18 crowd that's not allowed to deposit $50 into a poker account.
I should have clarified a little more. I got nephews who are asking for these games to play on PS2 and Xbox. Too young to gamble w/real $$, but their mother said it would be okay to play if its "just a video game." I figured if I introduced them to online play, they will definitely figure out the real money option. Smart little rugrats.

Oh, that's fine. I think the games would be great for a kid. I mean poker is fun, and there's nothing wrong with corrupting the young ones. My mom and my uncle started betting horse races for me at the county fair when I was 12 years old.I was just wondering where all the interest was coming from other sources with the beta testing thread, other threads, etc., etc.I'd say go with Stacked just out of loyalty to DN if it ever actually comes out. Otherwise, just go with whatever's on the market, and I'm sure it will at least be decent.