will the poker craze collapse in on itself?

Reading Daniel's recent blog about the WSOP becomming the WSONLH I started to think that maybe poker's variations have become limited to the popularity only being for NLH. I wonder what will happen if NLH remains the only dominant popular game. I mean it seems that most players these days start out learning by playing specifically NLH freeze-outs, which isn't healthy for someone's growth as a strong player. I started out playing NLH freeze-outs and cash games about a year ago and then started playing a lot of Stud, which I did well out, then I started playing Omaha, and Omaha H/L. I started to get more fascinated with all that games and now I like playing everything. I think my evolution opened me up to being a better poker theorist, which I like. I think thats a good evolution for people, but most people it doesn't seem to happen that way. If people don't expand what they play I don't see how people can stay interested enough in poker. That might cause the boom to die down. Any insights?

Reading Daniel's recent blog about the WSOP becomming the WSONLH I started to think that maybe poker's variations have become limited to the popularity only being for NLH. I wonder what will happen if NLH remains the only dominant popular game. I mean it seems that most players these days start out learning by playing specifically NLH freeze-outs, which isn't healthy for someone's growth as a strong player. I started out playing NLH freeze-outs and cash games about a year ago and then started playing a lot of Stud, which I did well out, then I started playing Omaha, and Omaha H/L. I started to get more fascinated with all that games and now I like playing everything. I think my evolution opened me up to being a better poker theorist, which I like. I think thats a good evolution for people, but most people it doesn't seem to happen that way. If people don't expand what they play I don't see how people can stay interested enough in poker. That might cause the boom to die down. Any insights?
Nice name "ZeppelinLives"! Huge Zep Fan...Welcome to FCP75-anim001.giflz-1.gif
I thinks as long as the tournaments are broadcasted on TV the boom will not die down. I do agree with you that to many players learn just one game and should expand there knowledge with learning the other games.

definetly need more spectrum of games besides just holdem. i do love holdem but stud and omaha are challenging. the hard part is you gotta play what the masses are playing and everyone and their brother are playing holdem. gotta follow the money in my opinion. as far as poker dying I think tv could over kill it.

I think a lot of the poker boom will depend on how well each individual does. If you try it out of curiosity and get crushed odds are it will be like touching a hot stove when you are a kid. You won't like it and won't try it. Me personally, I started playing play $$ and freerolls and enjoyed it enough to where I tried for real $$ and got beat some but being competitve and liking the challenge of getting better. Many people will try it and enjoy it and many won't. I think it will level out and decline some but as long as people keep winning millions in the HUGE tourneys everyone is going to want to try to get some of the $$'s in poker. I learned backwards when I started playing. I took up Omaha hi/lo and stud hi/lo to preserve my modest bankroll. many people get into the NL hold'em just to do the "all in thing" I have switched to playing limit and NL hold'em more recently because I have gotten more comfortable in my skills in it. I am not great at one game but i am good at four different types of poker which will keep me interested in it more than if I were to play NL all of the time and get burnt out on it.When the "newness" wears off for people they will not play as much which means the easier mney may dry up a little