which computer

Hello all, I'm considering buying a new computer in the near future but I'm not all that knowledgeable on the subject. I currently have a dell laptop but have set up more permanent residence recently and would like to take advantage of the benefits of a desktop computer. This is where your knowledge comes in. Currently, I play a mixture of Paradise Poker, Prima Poker, and Ladbrokes. As you know two different platforms (software). Paradise Poker on my laptop is so quick, runs really smoothly, play as many tables as I want. However, if I play more than 2 tables on Prima or Ladbrokes (since they use the same software) it starts to run soo delayed and drives me up the wall. 1.is this purely down to the speed of my computer (it happens to be a pentium III) or is this just that Prima/Ladbrokes use poor software?? I mean I can play 3 or 4 Paradise tables comfortably, no problems. I can only dream about playing 4 tables on Prima without stressing. 2.which is better for playing poker, or is there no noticable difference?? Apple computers, or the rest (i.e. dell, compaq, HP etc)3.I've really taken to the look of Apple computers and most Apple users swear by them. I've also noticed on their website they now have a microsoft windows version of software?? Is this any good cause even though I like the look of apple, I'd love to be able to continue using software that I'm used to, or at least similar to (i.e. Microsoft XP). 4.Are Apple computers quicker/slower/same as the latest pentium processor?? I'm basically looking for the fastest best beast out there.I'm dying to get an Apple but I am logical and sensible. If they're just not as good in terms of operating systems software, playing poker sites etc then I'll keep with Dell or the like. Really look forward to your input. Thanks, Studio

My honest opinion would be to stick with a laptop. Get a new one, but stay with the mobility. You can get a Dell Inspiron that is equal to almost any desktop machine in regards to speed and features. As for having a permanent poker set up, get yourself a good monitor and a docking station etc... and you wouldn't be abel to tell the difference.

Hey - Doesn't much matter about who makes it - it more about what its got inside.If you wanna be able to move around with it easily and you don't care about it being outdated in 2-3 years get a laptop. But remember to get one with at least a 64MB video card and a decent processor ( AMD 2600+ or pentium IV)Check the IT newsgroups/boards and ask there for help to pick a good laptop/pc... thats the best place for that kind of help. It's worth it.I know some stuff, but on those boards they guys really know stuff.I mean , you wouldn't go there and ask them about how you played a hand , right ? :D

If you want to get a cheap computer that will run poker software just fine, I would suggest one of the eMachines at Best Buy. Of course I wouldnt buy one because it doesnt fit all my computer needs, but if it's pretty much a word document/poker computer, it would work very well. They have a celeron processor, but runs around 2.8 ghz which is more than enough for poker games. I believe they come with 512MB of RAM, which would suffice, but if you want to play a lot of tables without your comp getting laggy, I would buy another stick of 512MB of PC-3200 RAM. Just make sure you have atleast a 64 MB video card and you should be lag free!

I do not recommend emachines - they're full of cheap partsSeems like value for money but it's not! you get what you pay for !!
they have a warranty though. Ya they are full of cheap parts, but it's not like you'll push your computer to its limit only using poker software.

I'm sure that you're questions are more than answered (I didn't read everyone's posts) but I'm gonna put my 2 cents in -- because I build computers on a regular basis, so I know a bit.Apple computers are always behind in technology where speed is concerned -- be it memory speed, processor speed, etc etc. They have their good points though, especially if you're in graphic design... but, you're not, so forget about Apples. Besides, who wants their computer named after a fruit?You may as well stick with a laptop if you've got the money. Desktops are where the bleeding-edge of speed and technology lies, but you don't need that to run poker room software. Dell is awesome, but don't be afraid to look at Toshibas and some of the other brands (sony is awesome too). The off-brand quality has really come a long way, and the playing field is basically level when it comes to quality. Price is a big difference though.http://www.newegg.com/ is my favorite place to by anything related to computers, including laptops. They are a very reliable internet vendor, and very protective of their customers. No, I don't work there. Good luck buddy. You can catch me on AIM or email me if you have any more specific questions.

Ditto on www.newegg.com I've bought all the parts for the last couple I've built there & my new 19" monitor. They're #1 on price, support & fast shipping...period! Usually free shipping too.I still say go with one of AMD's 64bit processors, if you go the desktop route?& minimum 512 ram.I'm running dual AMD 1800's now in my workstation & I want one bad. They're priced right & they scream! :twisted: I'm not sure where the sweet spot is on vid cards right now? Haven't paid attention the last 6 months? DON'T get onboard video though, get a card.Good luck :D

hey-i used to use a pc but now i'm a mac (apple) guy all the way. imo you just can't beat them. as far as poker is concerned, however, a pc is MUCH easier. pokerroom.com supports mac natively, but the other major sites do not. in order to play these sites you need virtual pc, a program that simulates a pc environment. once you have that it's a snap :wink:

In my expert opinion, if money is not an issue then just buy whatever is te most expensive. Honestly i don't know anything about computers....wait...why am i posting on this?

I do not recommend emachines - they're full of cheap partsSeems like value for money but it's not! you get what you pay for !!
they have a warranty though. Ya they are full of cheap parts, but it's not like you'll push your computer to its limit only using poker software.
Unless your talking about overclocking mods, software doesn't kill/wear out parts. I think KingAustin was trying to say that they have a higher rate of failure and since most parts on an eMachine are intergrated and proprietary its likely you will have to replace the entire computer if something does die.All the while settling for a machine that isn't performing as well as a machine that will probably last longer then an eMachine anyways. P.S. I guess no one got my Homestar Runner reference i posted earlier on this thread.
Unless your talking about overclocking mods, software doesn't kill/wear out parts. I think KingAustin was trying to say that they have a higher rate of failure and since most parts on an eMachine are intergrated and proprietary its likely you will have to replace the entire computer if something does die.All the while settling for a machine that isn't performing as well as a machine that will probably last longer then an eMachine anyways. P.S. I guess no one got my Homestar Runner reference i posted earlier on this thread.
No, you misinterperited me. I'm trying to say they are good computers for people who dont do too much on the computer. eMachines would be great for poker. In the case something stopped working correctly, the part could get replaced without a cost to you (except computer downtime).I got your homestar reference, by the way :D that site is so funny.
I'm sure that you're questions are more than answered (I didn't read everyone's posts) but I'm gonna put my 2 cents in -- because I build computers on a regular basis, so I know a bit.Apple computers are always behind in technology where speed is concerned -- be it memory speed, processor speed, etc etc. They have their good points though, especially if you're in graphic design... but, you're not, so forget about Apples. Besides, who wants their computer named after a fruit?
That was hardly worth 2 cents,

I use both a laptop and a desktop.I like the laptop because I can sit on the couch and watch tv while I play. When I want to get more serious, I use the desktop and multi-table.Laptop screens tend to be smaller so they don't work as well for multi-tabling.One thing you might consider is dual monitors. It's great for multi-tabling or surfing the net while you play.If you stick to a single monitor, I would recommend a monitor that can do 1600x1200 at a decent refresh rate. Most poker sites use 800x600 window sizes, if your monitor can do 1600x1200 you can see 4 full tables.As for Apple vs PC. I prefer PCs because that's what I'm used to. Like dpianomn said, you have to run an emulator on a Mac to use most poker software. Emulators will always be slower than running the programs natively, but you probably wouldn't be able to notice much of a difference. If you're going to be using your computer primarily for poker, a PC is probably better, but It really comes down to personal preference. Either way, anything you buy today will be a lot faster than your current computer.I wouldn't recommend emachines. I know two people who bought them and both had problems within the first 6 months. Even if it's under warranty it's a nuisance to get it fixed.I also wouldn't recommend HP. I have an HP laptop and I've had it in 4 times to get fixed. (Compaq and HP are now the same company)My experience with Dell has been good.I hope that helps. Mustang

My experience with Dell has been good.
Mine hasnt been so good. I've had to reformat my HD 4 times in 2 years, which is a total pain. I also recently bought an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB video card, and it wont work because Dell does not have the proper motherboard drivers. What kind of BS is that?????? Their technical support is stationed in India, and they read whatever is on their screen and dont know anything besides what is in front of them. I would highly recommend anything besides a dell.