what's the right level???

Meatwad says:

$100 NL baby!!!
Exactly, Low Limit Sucks, I would take 100 bucks to a 5-10 table any day before I play .5/1I find if a bet or raise is insignificant (like .5 or $1 wooptydoo) you can't play poker. A dollar raise is not going to take someone off a hand, fish will chase even more because it is cheap to chase and there will be a lot more fish. The top starting hands are crap in a .5/1 game, with 8 runners do you think your AA will hold up? NOPEI would say go with Meatwad $100 NL or at least 3-6. 3-6 actually isn't too bad a game on Party. Again this all depends on your skill level or if you are just doing this for fun then go ahead, hit up the .5/1 game.Also, can not hear this enough - SCARED MONEY IS DEAD MONEYIf losing the $100 is a big deal to you, it would be better to hold off a bit, save up a healthy bankroll and then hit the tables.Whatever you do, gl!!!
Meatwad says:
$100 NL baby!!!
Exactly, Low Limit Sucks, I would take 100 bucks to a 5-10 table any day before I play .5/1I find if a bet or raise is insignificant (like .5 or $1 wooptydoo) you can't play poker. A dollar raise is not going to take someone off a hand, fish will chase even more because it is cheap to chase and there will be a lot more fish. The top starting hands are crap in a .5/1 game, with 8 runners do you think your AA will hold up? NOPEI would say go with Meatwad $100 NL or at least 3-6. 3-6 actually isn't too bad a game on Party. Again this all depends on your skill level or if you are just doing this for fun then go ahead, hit up the .5/1 game.
Yep, all those loose callers can really hurt your win rate!/sw
Fair enough.  Sounds like we're on the same page then.  I still have some trouble with that "disconnect" sometimes.  I have a decent job and I could probably afford to take some lumps at 2/4 or 3/6, but the money is a little too "real" to me right now.
if this is the case u may never get used to the swings
Fair enough.  Sounds like we're on the same page then.  I still have some trouble with that "disconnect" sometimes.  I have a decent job and I could probably afford to take some lumps at 2/4 or 3/6, but the money is a little too "real" to me right now.
if this is the case u may never get used to the swings
Well, I don't know about "never", but right now a $500-$1000 loss would be really hard to swallow and that's why I'm playing $.50/1. I'm sufficiently "crushing" the game, but I've had the inevitable swings too. I'm starting $1/2 now that I've hit a grand, so I'm taking the conservative approach.I think being married with kids affects my perspective.

Just play UB .25/.50 NL holdem and PL omaha with the same stakes. I deposited $50 two weeks ago, and I'm already at $1,000. I've been playing some of the best poker of my life these past two weeks, and I owe it all to the books I've been reading and this forum. A quick question: I played the $100 NL games (.50-1), and I was beating them, but I would get the occasional few bad beats, and my bankroll really couldn't handle it. If I can get my BR up to $1500, would that be enough to play comfortably at that level?

The pokerstars .05/.10 is probably about the same level as the .5/1.00 on Party...maybe a hair weaker You may want to start there to get your feet wet again. You have the bankroll to play .25/.50 if you feel your game is good enough. Pokerstars is fairly rockish at most of the low levels. I've played limit there everywhere from pennies to 1/2. Even the .25/.50 may take some getting used to after playing at party. Good luck to you.r

Ahh, isn't the General Poker forum great....
Umm..yeah, it is. Someone asks a question, gets a bunch of answers, and we all move on. I dont see anything wrong with that.
Meatwad says:
$100 NL baby!!!
Exactly, Low Limit Sucks, I would take 100 bucks to a 5-10 table any day before I play .5/1I find if a bet or raise is insignificant (like .5 or $1 wooptydoo) you can't play poker. A dollar raise is not going to take someone off a hand, fish will chase even more because it is cheap to chase and there will be a lot more fish. The top starting hands are crap in a .5/1 game, with 8 runners do you think your AA will hold up? NOPEI would say go with Meatwad $100 NL or at least 3-6. 3-6 actually isn't too bad a game on Party. Again this all depends on your skill level or if you are just doing this for fun then go ahead, hit up the .5/1 game.Also, can not hear this enough - SCARED MONEY IS DEAD MONEYIf losing the $100 is a big deal to you, it would be better to hold off a bit, save up a healthy bankroll and then hit the tables.Whatever you do, gl!!!
This is another point I believe smash was making. If you think in terms of bets and not money (i.e. "it's just a dollar I'll call) you will make better decisions. If you are just making calls because it is only a dollar and not on pot odds, reads, etc... you will be a losing player.BTW, have you played $100 NL on party? The game is as soft as a goose down comforter.