how poker put me in the icu

WARNING: Weird but true storyI am dealing cards at a resturant that I run a free game at. We put some folding felt tops on top of their tables and dod a little three-hour tourney. No big deal, right?Well, the tables I am dealing at don't line up. So when I reach across to the left side, the corner jabs me in the hip. Next day, my hip is pretty bruised and I am limping around like and idiot. No big deal, right? Well, a week alter I can't put any weight on my leg on that side, turns out I pulled the quad. Okay, so I spend some time in a knee immobilizer and I'm good, right? Wrong. Two days later my legs is swelling, so back to the ER I go, and next thign I know, they having me spend the night, but I can't move my leg. Demerol helps to pass the time. The next morning, they take an ultrasound, and my legs is full of clots. So they admit me. That afternoon, They run a tube up the vein in my leg and start dripping in clot busters. Clotbusters being what they are, I am then placed in ICU to make sure I don't bleed out. After three days with the tube and four in ICU, I get four more in a regular room as they work up on prescription blood thinners. (later they discover some genetic deformities that predispose me to blood clotting issues.)So, to recap: nine days and eight nights in the hospital from dealing cards.It's a dangerous world out there folks.-D

Holy Crap. Glad your OK now. That is nuts. I'm having heart surgery in the middle of February cause I have this little thing called SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia) which basically means my heart starts going like 200+ beats per minute for like hours at a time. Its been a lifelong thing that I am just finally getting around to resolving. The thought of having a doctor stick a laser up a vein in my leg and shoot out part of the electrical system in my heart is very exciting ... NOTSomething that tells me seeing my all-in preflop KK against turned over AA is not helping things. thump thump thump thump rat-a-tat-tat

Holy Crap.  Glad your OK now.  That is nuts.    I'm having heart surgery in the middle of February cause I have this little thing called SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia) which basically means my heart starts going like 200+ beats per minute for like hours at a time.  Its been a lifelong thing that I am just finally getting around to resolving.  The thought of having a doctor stick a laser up a vein in my leg and shoot out part of the electrical system in my heart is very exciting ... NOTSomething that tells me seeing my all-in preflop KK against turned over AA is not helping things.  thump thump thump thump rat-a-tat-tat
Might be a little late to add anything, but just wanted to say that I had SVT up until 3 years ago. Tried lots of meds, and really only had success with Tambocor--was on that for 10 years. Anyway, finally had the catheter ablation done 3 years ago and my SVT is gone (actually, I had WPW, and SVT was just one of 5 rhythms that the docs could induce in the various EP studies I had done).Just for clarification, unless the procedure has changed, it's not really heart surgery, insomuch as your chest doesn't get cracked. The catheter is used to deliver radio frequency to the auxillary pathway that is causing the problem--it's not a laser. The procedure is usually outpatient, and you are on the table typically 2-3 hours. My procedure took 5 hours because they had a lot of trouble isolating the pathway. I ended up staying overnight b/c all the meds i was given made me really sick.Sorry that this has nothing to do with poker.
Holy Crap.  Glad your OK now.  That is nuts.    I'm having heart surgery in the middle of February cause I have this little thing called SVT (Supraventricular Tachycardia) which basically means my heart starts going like 200+ beats per minute for like hours at a time.  Its been a lifelong thing that I am just finally getting around to resolving.  The thought of having a doctor stick a laser up a vein in my leg and shoot out part of the electrical system in my heart is very exciting ... NOTSomething that tells me seeing my all-in preflop KK against turned over AA is not helping things.  thump thump thump thump rat-a-tat-tat
Might be a little late to add anything, but just wanted to say that I had SVT up until 3 years ago. Tried lots of meds, and really only had success with Tambocor--was on that for 10 years. Anyway, finally had the catheter ablation done 3 years ago and my SVT is gone (actually, I had WPW, and SVT was just one of 5 rhythms that the docs could induce in the various EP studies I had done).Just for clarification, unless the procedure has changed, it's not really heart surgery, insomuch as your chest doesn't get cracked. The catheter is used to deliver radio frequency to the auxillary pathway that is causing the problem--it's not a laser. The procedure is usually outpatient, and you are on the table typically 2-3 hours. My procedure took 5 hours because they had a lot of trouble isolating the pathway. I ended up staying overnight b/c all the meds i was given made me really sick.Sorry that this has nothing to do with poker.
No that is a huge help and appreciate you sharing, Thank you. I actually meet the Electrophysiologist on Monday 24th to go over the details and set exact date in mid-February. I too have done the meds including Tambocor with little to no help. I have been explained it is a no-biggee out patient thing and I am back to work in 2-3 days. I have never had a EP study done and its my understanding that there is a chance the ablation may not even happen if they cant 'trigger' the right 'problematic electrical circuit'. I'll definitely keep you posted. I have a nice little heart murmer and Mitral Valve Prolapse to make things sound even juicier. Wow is this a poker forum? Sorry for the rant

That's terrible. I think I might have the same blood problem as you have. It runs on my mothers side of the family, I believe its called "Leiden V Factor" or something like that. Is that what you have? My mom broke her leg and a week later developed a huge blood clot as well. Hopefully everything is better with you now, good luck.

[sorry that this has nothing to do with poker.No that is a huge help and appreciate you sharing, Thank you. I actually meet the Electrophysiologist on Monday 24th to go over the details and set exact date in mid-February. I too have done the meds including Tambocor with little to no help. I have been explained it is a no-biggee out patient thing and I am back to work in 2-3 days. I have never had a EP study done and its my understanding that there is a chance the ablation may not even happen if they cant 'trigger' the right 'problematic electrical circuit'. I'll definitely keep you posted. I have a nice little heart murmer and Mitral Valve Prolapse to make things sound even juicier. Wow is this a poker forum? Sorry for the rantWarning---Zero poker content here.Good luck with your procedure. You actually will have an EP study done..they have to map your heart first to find the pathway, then they do the ablation. Here are a few things from my experience that might help you know what to expect.1) There is some pain. The lidocain shots in the groin hurt a bit, but it's over pretty quickly.2) There is a strange sensation when they insert the catheters in your groin. It doesn't really hurt, but you can feel them when they are first put in--hard to explain the sensation.3) You will probably have some type of drug solution that will be a painkiller combined with a mild sedative. You will likely sleep through some of the procedure.4) I experienced quite a bit of pain when the actually turned on the juice and zapped my heart. I felt a strong burning pain in my chest and it woke me up. Afterwards, they told me it was very unusual for a patient to feel any pain.I think it was a little easier for me b/c I had 2 EP studies previously, which helped b/c i knew what to expect.By the way, I find it interesting that you've been recommended for an ablation, but never had an EP. Depending on the location of the pathway, they may not be able to do the ablation without significant risk to your heart's electrical system--which sometimes results in the need to implant a pacemaker.Perhaps they are just thinking that since they have to do an EP anyway (as part of the ablation), they really is no point in doing an EP and THEN having you go back for an ablation.Where are you having the procedure done? I went to Washington Hospital Center in DC. Good luck, i really hope you do well.

1) There is some pain. The lidocain shots in the groin hurt a bit, but it's over pretty quickly
CRAP!
2) There is a strange sensation when they insert the catheters in your groin. It doesn't really hurt, but you can feel them when they are first put in--hard to explain the sensation.
CRAP!!!
I felt a strong burning pain in my chest and it woke me up.
:shock:
By the way, I find it interesting that you've been recommended for an ablation, but never had an EP. Depending on the location of the pathway, they may not be able to do the ablation without significant risk to your heart's electrical system--which sometimes results in the need to implant a pacemaker.
I was told that depending on the mapping and the ability to trigger the correct nodes that an ablation may not be possible, but that is the goal. I was also warned of the very minute chance of requiring a pace maker if something goes wrong.
Where are you having the procedure done? I went to Washington Hospital Center in DC.
Centennial Medical Center Heart Center in Nashville, TNhttp://www.centennialmedicalcenter.com/

since people seem to be a little more medically aware than I expected, I'll fill in the blank on what is wrong with me:Most people have a large major vein running from about the groin to the heart that all the blood from the lower body routes into called the inferior vena cava (IVC). The superior vena cava collects from the upper half, fyi. In me, the IVC has been malformed, and is either closed or nonexistent below my liver; however, my body has a formed a network of auxilliary veins to compensate, leading the doctor to believe this dates back to my fetal days. Because of this, my blood doesn't move as quickly through my veins, which makes it more prone to clotting. While IVC deformities are not unheardof, "this is a new one." The docs have yet to find another one in the literature.dna, best of luck on the procedure, and poker is definitely not good for heart arrhythmea. :-) I do want to echo holman's sentimat about the catheter. They put one in the back of knee to up to my hip to run in clot dissovler, and his description of the sensation is very apt. You have no idea where it is in you, but you kinda feel SOMETHING at the insertion point. The extraction is a little weirder, because you do get a sensation of the length as it slides out. Of course, my luck being what it is, they were unexpectedly able to insert the catheter, but I had just gotten lunch, so I couldn't be sedated. But don't worry about the pain or anything.best of luck, again.