bankroll management

Thanks to you guys, I am now aware that one's bankroll should be at least 300x the big bet, and that this is an estimate taken from a more complicated equation evolving variance and yadda yadda yadda . My question is this: say I am playing $1/2 hold'em with a bankroll of $600, and in my first session I lose $100 making my bankroll $500. Do I need to drop down in limits, or is this loss covered by my initial bankroll? Thanks.

I think I remember Smash saying if you fall to 200BB's, you should drop back down one level (where you'll have 300BB's). This made sense to me, so it's what I do as well.

well u have to be honest with urself...did you play the hands right and just take bad beats..or were u outclassed and need to spend some more time at lower limits

yea i have a related question. assuming you are playing limit, how many hands do you need to play vs bb lost before you can assume you are losing at a certain level(instead of just bad luck)and what about this question for nl?

the whole idea of a bankroll is to be able to sustain losses (swings).if you moved down in limits every time you dropped below 300 BB, you would be defying the whole purpose of a bankroll. that's to say that you should be dropping down in limits from the moment you sit down at the table (since you have to post a blind). obviously, this is silly. :club: a good rule of thumb is that if you lose 50 BB's, you should reevaluate your play. take a break, don't tilt, go over hands, etc. if you lose a total of 100 BB's, move down to a lower limit.sometimes, you may want to move down a limit before you lose a total of 100 BB's. in general, you should always have 300 BB's or more of the next lower limit so that you can always move down and still play comfortably.example 1:you're playing $1/2 with $600. if you drop 100 BB's or $200, you can move down to 50c/$1 with a comfortable $400 bankroll.example 2:you're playing $4/8 with $2400. if you drop 100 BB's or $800, you have $1600, but this isn't enough for $3/6. so, either drop down to $2/4, or drop down to $3/6 when you lose $600, not $800 (so that you can comfortably play $3/6 with $1800).aseem

I think they mean go to 1/2 with $600 and if you sustain a 200BB downswing leaving you with $200 then you drop down... Not if you hit 299 BB's at 1/2 you have too drop down.lol..