question....

I have been playing poker for a year now and really enjoy playing. I play ALOT, both online and live, but mostly online. Since February I have logged 300+ SnG's on PokerRoom and have played around 30 Multi-Table tournaments during that time. My question is about family and friends who are beginning to question me about my hobby. They are saying I am playing to much and that I need to find something else to do. I don't feel as though it is a problem, and it is not a $$$ thing since I haven't lost a penny playing. So I guess my question is, what should I do. Should I listen to my family and friends even though I don't think I have a problem, or continue doing what I enjoy doing so much. Like all of us I have a goal and determined to play in a WPT or WSOP major event at somepoint, and I feel the only way to do this is practice......Thoughts.......

If you really love playing, and you're not wrecking your finances by doing this, then I don't see how it's a problem. You might want to get out and do thing socially, a healthy social life does people good. You do nothing but sit playing poker all day and night, and you'll eventually get cabin fever, get frustrated, and drive yourself nuts.Even if you're a losing player and just play for leisure, if you can budget it in your expendable income accordingly and not let it drive you near to or straight to bankrupcy, then I don't see a huge problem there. Probably more of a problem to them than a winning player who plays constantly, but not a problem to me and you cause they end up paying us end the end. :wink: But it doesn't sound like they understand what you're doing. You're doing what you really enjoy, and you're making money in it. They'll probably really be on you if you start losing some, but if you keep yourself in the black, and continue to enjoy poker, then their argument is weak.

My question is about family and friends who are beginning to question me about my hobby. They are saying I am playing to much and that I need to find something else to do.
Well it really comes down to a question of how much are you playing? Do you have a 9-5 job? Are your family and friends complaining that they don't see you as much as they did/should? If you're doing a 40/hr job and then playing poker 40/hr and ignoring or minimizing family and friends, I agree with them that you have to change your priorities. If you cut out your friends and family for a game, you've got your priorities messed up. It all comes down to a balance in your life. If you're happy without the friends (family will tend to be there for you) then keep ignornig them for time at the tables. I'm not saying quit poker, but maybe cut back if you're putting an inordinate amount of time into it.