did i play this right?

I was playing online at a $5 N/L table. I came in with $4 and was up to $9 and change.I was the big blind and had 6 8 off suit. I checked and the flop came 9 10 7 ranbow. I moved all-in and was called by the smal blind.He had a 10 and a lower card. Then the turn and river gave him a full house.Did I play this right? Just a bad beat?

Guest XXEddie

kinda a bad beat....but you were playing $5 NL i assume the blinds are like 5/10 cents...so theres about 20 cents in the pot....and you move in for 9 dollars!?!?!?!?. It's a huge over bet and looks like a bluff, thats why you got called.

It's a huge over bet and looks like a bluff, thats why you got called.
You want to get called! :twisted: I wouldn't have gone all-in. I would have value bet about 3x BB, and if he raised you, then go all-in. It really doesn't matter though, one way or another you were gonna go all-in on that hand and there wasn't anything you could have done about it. Just a bad beat.
You want to get called! :twisted: I wouldn't have gone all-in. I would have value bet about 3x BB, and if he raised you, then go all-in. It really doesn't matter though, one way or another you were gonna go all-in on that hand and there wasn't anything you could have done about it. Just a bad beat.
Coudn't have said it better. I think that was about a 99:1 long shot. So if you play that hand 100 times you should be ahead $890 or so. Don't beat yourself up. It happens to everyone.
Guest XXEddie
Coudn't have said it better. I think that was about a 99:1 long shot. So if you play that hand 100 times you should be ahead $890 or so. Don't beat yourself up. It happens to everyone.
Ok, i understand you wanna get better, but going all-in made no way for your opponent to fold. The way I see it, you had two times to get him out. Pre-flop, raising about 3x BB wont hurt, if he has 10 and whatever he had(thanks for tellin us) he probably woulda folded. That and a small chance preflop with a healthy bet. Other than that, you were kind of trapped because its hard to fold 2 pair, especially when the board is only J high. But if still confused why you would go all-in there??? If you wanted it to seem like you were bluffing bet about 5-6x the big blind. Dont go all-in...very amatuerish in my opinion.

You don't make money by people folding. You want him to call both before the flop and after.It's basic poker theory. You will win in this situation 96% of the time. That's 9.5 out of 10. Roughly.Say you move allin for 50$ and are called. 9.5 times you will win his 50$ and .5 times he will win your $50. That's a net profit of $450.And eddie, you definately wouldn't want to raise a 8-6os from the small blind. It's a bad hand out of position. I don't know where you were going with your last post, but he wants that call. In no part of the hand does he want his opponent to fold, as the math clearly proves.I'm not sure if the math is correct, but yall get the message...just too bored with this thread to even try. Just making sure the first guy gets good advice. You over bet the pot on the flop, which was kinda strange, but you got a call...and a call is what you wanted.

Ok, i understand you wanna get better, but going all-in made no way for your opponent to fold. The way I see it, you had two times to get him out. Pre-flop, raising about 3x BB wont hurt, if he has 10 and whatever he had(thanks for tellin us) he probably woulda folded. That and a small chance preflop with a healthy bet. Other than that, you were kind of trapped because its hard to fold 2 pair, especially when the board is only J high. But if still confused why you would go all-in there??? If you wanted it to seem like you were bluffing bet about 5-6x the big blind. Dont go all-in...very amatuerish in my opinion.Yeah, nothing screams "amature" like getting all the money in the middle with a hand that holds up 95% of the time.Amature's get overly tricky constantly and lose money because of it. A sign of an experienced player is getting the most money in when they are ahead.

I agree that you flopped a monster and you should tried to coax him in more instead of betting $9 into a pot with less than a dollar. Your other ptoblem is you are playing at a $5 NL table. Give me a break you think anyone at those tables is going to fold anything ever for 9 freaking bucks? If I have top pair I call every day of the week cause chances are I'll always have outs. All in a all it was a bad beat though and better luck next time.

I agree that you flopped a monster and you should tried to coax him in more instead of betting $9 into a pot with less than a dollar.Your other ptoblem is you are playing at a $5 NL table. Give me a break you think anyone at those tables is going to fold anything ever for 9 freaking bucks?If you think someone will call an all in while you hold a flopped straight, WHY would you want to "coax" anything out of them??What's the puzzle here. There's ONE hand that you're behind here, 8J. Why in the world wouldn't you want to bet all in if you knew it'd be called?

Yes, I think everyone will agree that getting all your money in when you have the best of it, is a good thing.The problem is, that you really didn't know if he was definitely going to call you. If you have a good read on him, and he's shown to be the type of player that will call just about anything, then by all means push your stack in.The problem is, when you're playing against good players, most of them won't call that bet with top pair and a horrible kicker, fearing trips and the straigh, or even two pair. So, most of the time against a good opponent, you're not going to win nearly as much money. Now, your straight, more often than not will still be the best hand by the river, and not only that, its a hidden unpredictable hand. So, I would think the idea is to figure out the best way to get paid off. Maybe check the flop and see what he does. If he bets, maybe you call, and see what the turn brings, or maybe you decide to double his bet, or go all in. There are a lot of factors, your stack, his stack, his playing tendencies, what the turn card could represent to he and you, etc. Say you win the blinds and pre flop bets 95/100 times, because he folds like he should? Yeah, that's good. But say you win 10 to 20 x's the blind by making pot sized bets, and so forth, 65/100 times? Do the math.This is my first post here guys so be nice....relatively.Word.

The problem is, when you're playing against good players, most of them won't call that bet even with top pair.Let me know the day that becomes an issue on a $5 max buy in online table.I'll read the rest of your post then.

Yeah, that's a good point Smash, but I don't play like an idiot and I play small limits. There are a lot of people learning the game at smaller limits and still try to play well. Furthermore, even idiots at a small limit table like that don't always call with 102 there. So, why not practice a solid game, and play in a way that won't get you crushed when you move up? When I play 1/2 limit at Commerce, or .50/1 limit online I don't play K5 suited UTG, and chase a backdoor flush draw against one player, either. So I woudn't recommend putting all your chips in for this situation either.Cheers.

So I woudn't recommend putting all your chips in for this situation either. It's a good play at higher limits also because it looks like a bluff, being a horendous overbet and all and will be called by all kinds of things much of the time.I like it all around actually.

First you say its not an issue 'because' of the low limit he's playing, and then you say, its good in a high limit too which kind of contradicts or negates your first argument.Maybe as an "advanced move" its good in higher limits, but I think it would be more effective on the turn if that was your intent, but that's just me.

First you say its not an issue 'because' of the low limit he's playing, and then you say, its good in a high limit too which kind of contradicts or negates your first argument. No, I said what good players would think of it was irrelevant because of the limit.In fact, I think a lot of good players might call it because it looks so suspect, which is not an issue for this particular hand as it's unlikely there were any good players in the vicinity.Understand?

yeah, I see your point. There's never a black and white way to do things. Both ways can be effective depending on the situation.Would you agree that my way (not exactly my way) is the more classical approach?

Thanks for the analysis. Just started playing a month ago.The reason I bet big (but in retrospect wouldn't have went all in) was beacuse usually you'll get a caller or two (usually people down to $1 betting a pair). And it gets rid of a lot of hands, and I find my luck improves when there aren't idiots calling .10/.20 making better hands than me. It seems I was unlucky that: (a) the guy with as big a stack as me had the pair, (B) he was willing to risk that stack (because I'm playing low-stakes) on top pair, and © his cards beat the odds.

A similar situation is discussed in Tom McEvoy's book "No Limit Texas Hold Em"The Flop: KJ10You are in the big blind with AQLoose Larry opens in second position for $75 and Paul calls on the button. The little blind calls and you call the extra $50 from the big blind. The pot has $300 in it. The flop comes K-J-10. The small blind checks.Analysis:You have flopped the nuts. Now out biggest decision is, "how can I get the most money into the pot?" We're almost sure that Loose Larry will bet if we check. We know that everybody likes to gamble with Larry, so they sometimes will call his bets with weaker hands than they would call anybody else with.The Strategy We Suggest:"This is a good spot to slow play. We can accomplish this by checking. We check because we're pretty sure that Larry will bet and the other two players will call. If Larry bets $300 or less, and if one or more of the other players comes in, we will raise an amount that is double his bet (making it $600 if he bets $300, for example). If he makes a large bet of $500- $600 and no one calls, we will smooth call on the flop. Then we will check the turn in the hope that he moves in. If he does not bet on the turn, we will bet into him on the river"Obviously these a somewhat different situations, and I don't know how many people were in the pot, but if there are other people playing, you might lose money by pushing all in, that you could get if you slow play. Was there a raise when you flopped your straight?Over time, you'll make more money slow playing I think. This also allows you to see at least another card, which will give you a chance to see if the board pairs up and there's a possibility of a full house, without getting your whole stack in just yet.

Guest XXEddie
Ok, i understand you wanna get better, but going all-in made no way for your opponent to fold. The way I see it, you had two times to get him out. Pre-flop, raising about 3x BB wont hurt, if he has 10 and whatever he had(thanks for tellin us) he probably woulda folded. That and a small chance preflop with a healthy bet. Other than that, you were kind of trapped because its hard to fold 2 pair, especially when the board is only J high. But if still confused why you would go all-in there??? If you wanted it to seem like you were bluffing bet about 5-6x the big blind. Dont go all-in...very amatuerish in my opinion.Yeah, nothing screams "amature" like getting all the money in the middle with a hand that holds up 95% of the time.Amature's get overly tricky constantly and lose money because of it. A sign of an experienced player is getting the most money in when they are ahead.
And nothing screams amatuer than betting almost 200x the BB when you flop the the 2nd best hand with a rainbow flop.
Guest XXEddie
You don't make money by people folding. You want him to call both before the flop and after.It's basic poker theory. You will win in this situation 96% of the time. That's 9.5 out of 10. Roughly.Say you move allin for 50$ and are called. 9.5 times you will win his 50$ and .5 times he will win your $50. That's a net profit of $450.And eddie, you definately wouldn't want to raise a 8-6os from the small blind. It's a bad hand out of position. I don't know where you were going with your last post, but he wants that call. In no part of the hand does he want his opponent to fold, as the math clearly proves.I'm not sure if the math is correct, but yall get the message...just too bored with this thread to even try. Just making sure the first guy gets good advice. You over bet the pot on the flop, which was kinda strange, but you got a call...and a call is what you wanted.
He said he was in the BB, maybe he meant SB. But if he did mean BB than yeah, raising would be stupid. And if he was the BB that means the opponent checked...if your opponent checks, and only one hand can beat you, why do you go all-in?
Guest XXEddie
And nothing screams amatuer than betting almost 200x the BB when you flop the the 2nd best hand with a rainbow flop.Pushing there is a move a pro would make against anorther pro.Do you see why?
No, if a pro wanted to make it seem like he/she is bluffing, they wouldnt bet 200x the pot, they would make an over bet, but not a HUGE one. There is no reason to mave allin for 200x the BB with the 2nd best hand, a rainbow flop, and when youre opponent has checked.