greenstein interviews on cardplayer

http://www.cardplayer.com/poker_tournament...deo&video_id=62this is part 2 of a 4 part interview on cardplayer, and for all the stuff i've heard from greenstein, and read about him, i was actually quite impressed with greenstein's demeanour and his understanding that during the 2nd part of their stud match, barry was catchin everything and daniel's draws never pulled through. in part 3 he goes off a little more on the "biggest game" kick, sayin he's not "part of the group" but he gives him respect in other ways. he gives him respect on his personality and stature, even though you can tell he doesn't truly believe it.funny when he compares DN to jim rome.........not the first comparison that would come to my mind. 2 good interviews, completely bi-polar.

and part 4, well, that pretty much is right on with what i've heard from him and about him. you can tell the guy's really passionate about his "big game" and the fact that he plays the "best in the world"quote "i don't know anyone on the circuit who can come in our game and win"well, they always say you gotta be arrogant to be a poker player........

I love how at the end of part 4 he ends it with, "you know whether its Daniel Negreanu or whoever ... there an underdog as far as i'm concerned"tell em how you really feel barry!

Very intresting what he says about the other players not being able to come into the big game, which is mailny because they cannot afford it (a loosing session would be over a million) but diddnt Jennifer Harman, Phil Ivey, Gus Hansen, John Hennigan, basically migrate to the big game from the tourney circuit and smaller cash games (mainly not mixed games) And the big game has only been around for what like 2-3 years???The only guys who have played high limits for a long time are Doyle, Johnny Chan, Chip Reece, and Billy Baxter. Just proves Greenstein is full of himself.

Jennifer Harman plays in the same cash game as Barry, yet comes to a whole different conclusion about tournament players. I think Barry gets jealous when he sees someone like Daniel or Lindgren being idolized and he doesn't get the same attention or respect from the media and casual fans. "When poker players say that poker is a hard way to make an easy living, I’m not so sure that is true for tournament players. I have a lot of respect for them. They travel to all the different tournaments and play most of them. If you count all the little ones, that’s a lot of playing. It’s really expensive to play in all the tournaments and if you don’t cash one, two , or three, I don’t think that you can make money. I guess you can also make money if you cash in a lot of them too. If you think about it, the pressure must be unbearable. I feel cash games are much easier. You basically get to play when you want. In tournaments you start at a certain time. If it’s a multi-day tournament, you play each day for so many levels then have to come back and play the next day at the scheduled time. Not only do you have to play for probably 10 hours, you can’t make any mistakes. It’s not like cash games that if you make a mistake and go broke, you can just pull out more money."-Jennifer Harman

What it sounds like Barry is saying about the big game is that it's played so much differently from your typical cash game that (where the cards are almost meaningless, as opposed to a lower cash game, where you'll rarely find a full table of people strictly "playing the player"), as a newcomer, even if you're an incredibly good player, it will take some time just to figure out what is going on. I think Barry might be underestimating how quickly some of the top non-big game players might adapt to this environment, however.It doesn't sound to me like Barry is actually putting these other top players down, he's just saying it takes a lot of time to adapt to the style of big game, because of how atypical it is. It almost sounds as if he's just saying that he has an advantage over them in the big games because he has already gone through the learning process that the newcomers would inevitably have to go through. Barry probably is saying that these guys would be losing players because he can speak from experience, meaning that he may have been a losing player at first in these games and has since learned how to hold his own there...Besides, I'm pretty sure all good poker players are full of themselves to a certain extent... it's a pretty important defense mechanism for dealing with the variance, as it keeps you from thinking you're a horrible player. It's pretty hard to be a winning poker player when you don't have a lot of confidence in yourself. You really have to have confidence in your ability and in your decision-making process in order to be successful. That's just my opinion, though.Barry definitely likes to hear himself talk, though...