The 2016 All Star Game Poll

Will you watch the All Star Game?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Will you watch the 2016 NHL All Star Game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not a &*^@#$ing chance

This has been fun too watch. I ve totally gone 360 on my feelings on Scott. What a great story.

But I do have to cheer for Uncle Leo and Jagr in the finals

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Trip Report: Nashville is amazing.   I'm about as far from a country fan as you can get, but the live music is just incredible. I think I visited almost every bar on Broadway. Our hotel was almost a

Couple other random notes from the weekend:   Rode an elevator with Brian Burke at the All Star Game itself. He had his tie completely undone, outside his collar, just wearing it like a scarf.   I

Yeah he was sitting by himself at a pub on Friday afternoon and I went up and introduced myself to him and we chatted for a bit. He was 100% what you would expect him to be. When I told him I lived in

This has been fun too watch. I ve totally gone 360 on my feelings on Scott. What a great story.

But I do have to cheer for Uncle Leo and Jagr in the finals

I've gone 180* on john scott LOL..... I still think the whole thing was a debacle, he should never have been voted in and never gone.... but the way that it turned out was a nice feel good. And, to be honest, if I was John Scott, I'd have taken the keys to the car and announced my retirement. Who goes out as the MVP of the All-Star game as their last game??

You know what I took away most from this weekend? I cant wait to go to nashville.

I was already dying to before this weekend, but following everyone along on the weekend stuff made me wish even more my friends+I had just gone. We talked about it again on Friday, and are thinking mid-March weekend to get a full 2/3 days in. Im looking forward to Dubeys trip report.

As for the game, I started to watch it, got bored in 5min, and then went out anyway. All star stuff just doesnt do it for me

Trip Report: Nashville is amazing.

I'm about as far from a country fan as you can get, but the live music is just incredible. I think I visited almost every bar on Broadway. Our hotel was almost attached to the Arena, and a 2 minute walk form the main stretch of bars on Broadway. Sitting there, drinking a beer in a little dive bar while an incredible band plays is the best.

The food is also amazing. I had fantastic BBQ every day for lunch. I'm already having Beef Brisket withdrawals.

Went to a super expensive steak house called Kayne Prime on the first night (Devan paid, lol). had a 10 oz Wagyu Filet Mignon that I can comfortably say was the best single food item I have ever consumed in my entire life.

The Skills competition was a lot of fun. Not sure how it was on TV, but being there was an absolute blast. There was a Saturday night after party at the convention center that was absolutely outrageous. Must have been several thousand people there. Open Bar. unbelievable food all over the place. Beef Brisket, Smoked Turkey Tacos. Nashville Hot CHicken. I can't even fathom the cost of putting on this event. There was a live band, I didn't pay much attention to them when I first got there. I noticed at one point they were playing "That's the way, uh huh, uh huh, I Like it, uh huh uh huh," I remember thinking.. hmm that's kind of a weird song for a cover band to be playing in Nashville.. Not very country. A little while later I looked up at the stage and realized the band Was actually KC and the Sunshine band, LOL.

The All star game itself was amazing, even though my brother got shelled, haha. The place was buzzing all night long. When John Scott scored 10 seconds into his first shift, the place erupted. The way it finished, with everyone chanting "MVP" every time he came on the ice, then him winning on a write-in vote was just perfect.

We were sitting right behind the Denna Laing family, we would have gotten on TV, except my brother-in-law and I were at the bar getting drinks when they showed them (lol). You can see our two empty seats right behind them (at least on the American feed)

• Like 2

Great trip report. Not sure if you heard about the shout out your family got from Pierre McGuire. He mentioned he ran into the Dubnyk family( in true McGuire style added that you are in the car business in Alberta) and that you guys were having a really good time.

Yeah he was sitting by himself at a pub on Friday afternoon and I went up and introduced myself to him and we chatted for a bit. He was 100% what you would expect him to be. When I told him I lived in Lethbridge, he started name dropping random people who used to play on the Lethbridge Broncos. Really nice guy.

• Like 1

Yeah he was sitting by himself at a pub on Friday afternoon and I went up and introduced myself to him and we chatted for a bit. He was 100% what you would expect him to be. When I told him I lived in Lethbridge, he started name dropping random people who used to play on the Lethbridge Broncos. Really nice guy.

lol, I wasn't sure how to read "100% what you would expect him to be", but then I read "really nice guy". :)

He isnt mcot on tv, but that doesnt really mean anything, and I'm sure he is a nice person in real life.

loved the TR, feel free to give more details on places, you wont bore me at all, and would love to use it as a guide for a possible trip.

"Sitting there, drinking a beer in a little dive bar while an incredible band plays is the best". Could not agree more. My favourite way to spend time with friends, its one of the many reasons why I loved Dublin so much.

I spent more time in that bar than any other. Visited it on 3 separate occasions, but alas, was not there when the drummer fell through the window.

The Bar was called Robert's Western world and it was my favourite place. Really divey feel, really good music. The bands all played "classic country", so I didn't really know any of the songs, which was a good thing. No "fishing in the dark" or other garbage that I heard throughout my bar-hopping days in Calgary. Also cheap drinks (comparatively).

They had a "recession special" that I thought was pretty funny. Fried Bolgna sandwich, bag of chips, and a can of PBR for $5.

They had a "recession special" that I thought was pretty funny. Fried Bolgna sandwich, bag of chips, and a can of PBR for $5.

Wow what a deal. I absolutely love fried bologna sandwiches

Couple other random notes from the weekend:

Rode an elevator with Brian Burke at the All Star Game itself. He had his tie completely undone, outside his collar, just wearing it like a scarf.

I cannot possibly overstate how much Johnny Gaudreau in street clothes does not look like a professional hockey player.

I got mistaken as my brother about a half dozen times over the 4 days. I look almost nothing like my brother and I'm way too out of shape to be a hockey player. I also got mistaken as John Scott one time. Guy comes up to me and says "Hey man, I'm a huge fan". I just said "No you're not"

I yelled "Leoooooooooooo" really loud at the ASG when Komarov almost scored on his first shift. Got a funny look from a good looking blond a few seats over. Saw her again later, in the family lounge, eating dinner with Leo. It was his wife/gf.

Kevin Fiala was on our flight from Calgary to Minnesota, sitting next to my mom. He was en route to Milwaukee to go to the AHL for the break.

Big Buff was on our flight from Minny to Nashville. He.. also does not look like a professional hockey player in street clothes, but for different reasons. He was sitting in first class right in front of Devan. His wife, kid, and Nanny were all back in coach.

• Like 2

Kevin Fiala was on our flight from Calgary to Minnesota, sitting next to my mom. He was en route to Milwaukee to go to the AHL for the break.

Big Buff was on our flight from Minny to Nashville. He.. also does not look like a professional hockey player in street clothes, but for different reasons. He was sitting in first class right in front of Devan. His wife, kid, and Nanny were all back in coach.

Fiala is an Ingmen, so huge fan.

Wow Big Buff leaving his wife behind in coach

Two thoughts:

1. I was watching the skills, and I thought, man, how ridiculously good would Buff be if he was actually in shape. He really looked overweight. I dont know that he would be better, but I have to assume that it would be a significant upgrade to where he is now in terms of hockey. Too bad.

2. He was in first class, and his wife and kid in coach? Im hoping this was a seating issue, and not by choice.