2015 Draft, Free Agency, Summer Trades

I think the OTT-BUF trade is a good one for both teams. Ottawa needed to move a goalie and needed to dump Legwand's salary to pay Hoffman. Buffalo needed a goalie and the gamble on Lehner becoming a quality #1 goalie is better than the gamble on pick #21 panning out. Plus Legwand is a veteran who will only help with all the youth in Buffalo.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From warming the bench in the A to a 6-year deal for Devan. Amazing story. Congrats.

Burke calls Boston. "I hate offer sheets. Dont make me do it. Im going to give him 7million a year. How about I just give you a first, and 2 seconds, instead of #1,#2,#3. I did this with you guys+Ke

lol, Tim Murray didn't waste any time I love it. Is he on Mushrooms

I think the OTT-BUF trade is a good one for both teams. Ottawa needed to move a goalie and needed to dump Legwand's salary to pay Hoffman. Buffalo needed a goalie and the gamble on Lehner becoming a quality #1 goalie is better than the gamble on pick #21 panning out. Plus Legwand is a veteran who will only help with all the youth in Buffalo.

I guess it depends on how you want to see the pieces in play.

Legwand.....doesnt feel like has much worth to me, no more than say a replacement level player with some experience. Next to no worth for me, unless there is something about his character/personality I dont know that makes him more valuable.

Lehner.....very good upside, and I do think he is worthy of a #1 position, but there are always lots of goalies available.

#21......this is a good, deep draft. I would be surprised if whoever goes at #21 is not a top 6F, or top 4D within 5 years. Or at least, 3 out of the 5 in the 20's. There's no guarantees, but I like the 20's in this draft and picks like this are hard to trade IMO.

If Lehner becomes a star. its a no brainer. Like any goalie trade, the goalie will make the deal one way or another. Problem is, usually 2nd rounders get these deals done, and Im not sure Legwand is worth the jump from 30-40 to 21.

Buffalo has plenty of youth and have stockpiled picks for just this chance I think.

True, they do have some luxuries others do not. Im not sure I would use those extra assets in this way, but what do I know. Sounds like a good gamble for them.

I think it's a good gamble too.

Have a look at this: http://www.tsn.ca/statistically-speaking-expected-value-of-nhl-draft-picks-1.317819

No. 21

Average Rating: 4.69

Best: Tuukka Rask, Saku Koivu, Bryan Smolinski.

Worst: Libor Polasek, Evgeny Ryabchikov, Anton Gustafsson

Ranked 7 or better: 19.0%

Ranked 5 or worse: 52.4%

At least 100 NHL games (or extremely likely): 71.4%

good article, good point. I still say its a better pick this year than most, but I am being swayed towards the Buffalo side more and more.

Another thing that got me, I was curious about Lehners contract status, and forgot he just signed last year for 3 years. Next 2 years, he is only 2.25million. I dont know if that cap space helps Buffalo all that much, but its a pretty nice contract for your supposed #1.

Ya, Im liking the deal more and more. If Legwand can be positive at all, looks good on them.

I dont know why, but I think #21 overall/Ottawa, and I just picture Tarasenko-Rundblad Ott-StL trade. I think Tarasenko was more like 17th overall, but for some reason this morning I keep picturing that trade. (it was Rundblad right?)

STL traded Rundblad who was drafted 17th overall to OTT for 16th overall in another draft. They then chose Tarasenko with the pick. I may have the 16 and 17 mixed up lol

STL traded Rundblad who was drafted 17th overall to OTT for 16th overall in another draft. They then chose Tarasenko with the pick. I may have the 16 and 17 mixed up lol

Ya, Ottawa traded the 16th for Rundblad (who they ended up flipping for Turris). You could say Tarasenko would have been a Senator but current strategy is to play it safe in the first round I doubt they would have ever drafted him.

ya, Bob pretty much confirmed it now. That is a very good trade for Ottawa, I like Lehner but getting #21 overall for a goalie is a nice move.

A 21st for a goalie AND a salary dump (1year @ 3m for Legwand). I think I still like Lehner better than Hammond but the team does have some promising goalies in the pipeline.

**** being a "budget" team sucks.

Lehner and Talbot going for firsts? Very weird. Most years you can get a more proven (often more expensive) goalie for less than that, and goalies are very rarely actually drafted in the first round.

I guess all those leaks to the press about goalie offers are getting the job done. Good job reporters!

Hamilton to Calgary? WTF is going on???

I did not see that coming.

If they managed to acquire him and keep Giordano and Brodie...wow!

I think it's a good gamble too.

Have a look at this: http://www.tsn.ca/st...-picks-1.317819

No. 21

Average Rating: 4.69

Best: Tuukka Rask, Saku Koivu, Bryan Smolinski.

Worst: Libor Polasek, Evgeny Ryabchikov, Anton Gustafsson

Ranked 5 or worse: 52.4%

At least 100 NHL games (or extremely likely): 71.4%

I think someone in Boston should have looked at your link:

No. 15

Average Rating: 3.10

Best: Erik Karlsson, Alex Kovalev

Worst: Matt Zultek, Scott Kelman, Artem Kryukov, Igor Knyazev, Jesse Niinimaki

Ranked 5 or worse: 81.0%

At least 100 NHL games (or extremely likely): 38.1%

If they managed to acquire him and keep Giordano and Brodie...wow!

thats whats being reported, that its just picks.

if its just picks, Id like to know why this is the best they could do. What am I missing, are they too nervous to trade him in the East, arent others teams interested? I think I might be ok with Carolina offering #5 for Hamilton, so I cant figure out why #15 and other picks is the best they could do. (if true)

does Calgary have a couple of firsts?

Just checked top tier is 4 first rounders. But that's at $9.1 million.

$7.3 to $9.1 is 2 firsts , second and a third

$5.4 to $7.3 is first,second,third

Maybe Hamilton falls into tier 3

Burke calls Boston.

"I hate offer sheets. Dont make me do it. Im going to give him 7million a year. How about I just give you a first, and 2 seconds, instead of #1,#2,#3. I did this with you guys+Kessel, look how well that worked out for ya, so what do you say???"

• Like 1