Off Topic, Kinda.....

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some lighthearted talk here plus this will make sure that I can read this again sometime as it's a good story, at least for me. If it wasnt for posting all those apartment stories I would forget almos

I debated posting this, because I might be overdoing this topic this week, but I made a sort of personal promise to myself that I am going to promote more positivity and try to never be negative or pu

Danny.... Thats a great attitude to have, and you will be amazed at the progress Owen can make with that kind of attitude and persistence on your part. On Feb 4, 2003, the diagnosis I got was that

I've lived 43 years without ever having a gun near me. AND OMG I LIVE NEAR THE WORST CIRY IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

If you want a gun I have zero issue as long as you are educated and not a loon. But the less people around me unarmed makes me feel

safer than being around armed tryhards.

• Like 1

Yes, armed citizens can make a difference in conflicts. I know you, and probably most people on this forum, don't share in this opinion which is a luxury Canadians and citizens of the U.S. are afforded due to this exact place and time. Nobody knows what the future holds but I contend that history and human nature shouldn't be ignored.

Some would argue that you are the one ignoring history and human nature. Arming yourself makes you a threat to others, which in turn makes you a target. Groups of people who have historically been targeted are those by whom leadership has been able to convince their followers are a threat (usually wrongly).

I mean, best case scenario would be if all of your group had guns, but no one knew it, but that is a lot to assume.

I've lived 43 years without ever having a gun near me. AND OMG I LIVE NEAR THE WORST CIRY IN THE WHOLE WIDE WORLD.

If you want a gun I have zero issue as long as you are educated and not a loon. But the less people around me unarmed makes me feel

safer than being around armed tryhards.

I think I understand this position. You're saying less people being armed makes you feel safer. I would say feeling safe is very important but being safe is way more important. I think the cops are more dangerous than the tryhards if I'm to assume correctly that you mean bubba the gun nut who carries a pistol on his hip as the tryhards.

I think I understand this position. You're saying less people being armed makes you feel safer. I would say feeling safe is very important but being safe is way more important. I think the cops are more dangerous than the tryhards if I'm to assume correctly that you mean bubba the gun nut who carries a pistol on his hip as the tryhards.

the problem and this is 100% a statistical fact is that a firearm in the home is far far more likely to harm a member of the household than protect them from your garden variety bad guy or the small chance of government tyranny.

That harm can be lessened by responsible gun ownership but responsible gun ownership doesn't really match with home protection since having your ammo and gun stored in separate locked gun lockers kind of defeats the purpose of having one in case a bad guy breaks in for example.

Now if you tell me that you have a biometric gun lock on your weapon that would certainly help things and it's kind of shocking that the gun lobby opposes requiring those sort of controls. Well I guess not really shocking that they oppose any controls.

http://spectrum.ieee...bout-technology

Shooting guns is fun. I belonged to a shooting club for a couple years where we shot target rifles and pistols at an indoor range using the club's guns.

Never had a bad experience with a cop. Many good ones actually. Many. Oh there was that one cop who yelled at my friends and I for eating our sandwiches outside the Tubbys. Said we were loitering. We worked there and were on break. He was a dick.

We have an annual fair. My wife even went when she was a child. Looked forward to taking our son there. Now it's overrun each year with the gun nut tryhhards who decided a kids fair is a great place to strap on their rifles and pistols and showing off the fact they are allowed to carry AT A FCKING KIDS FAIR. That does not make me feel safe. All it takes is one crazy/angry gun nut or one angry/crazy non gun nut to get bullets to start flying AROUND KIDS. now I know, "oh us gun carriers are responsible and professional individuals." Bull shit. You may be. That other guy maybe. She maybe. But there are many who are simply not. All it takes is one. Maybe Joes wife just cheated on him. Then one non gun guy starts talking shit. Normally it could end as a fist fight but now one has a gun. Anything can happen. Nothing happens if he isnt carrying.

You want my car? It's yours. You want my wallet? Take it. I'm not going to play John Wayne over such menial items. Take it. I have insurance. I'll take my chances on some random guy coming to murder me. If he wants to murder me I'm sure he'll make it so that I don't see it coming so a gun will be useless.

But again, if an individual feels the need to have a gun then I have no issue. It is their right whether I like it or not. I can disagree with it but I'm not stupid to think I can demand they don't. But I personally feel very unsafe around strangers with guns. And obv it makes me angry ;)

• Like 1

I don't know how anyone could forgive Turkey without being many generations removed. I also don't know anyone would deny their human right to defend themselves by not taking steps to be armed no matter what country they currently reside. I would expect it to be harder to ignore the dark side of humanity when your very recent ancestors were targets of genocide.

We eventually said enough is enough with the battle of Sartarabad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sardarabad

Darren says it best 5 min mark

As for the whole Serge thing I have lawyers from my school looking up his post, he will be charged with slander and libel soon.

Gotta get him before he leaves the country.

• Like 1

We eventually said enough is enough with the battle of Sartarabad.

http://en.wikipedia....e_of_Sardarabad

Darren says it best 5 min mark

Darren? What happened to Daron? :)

Funny, I was listening right at this instance to SoaD at work, wrapping up my day.

System is easily one of my top 5 fav bands. Just saying.

Did you know there really was a Mr Jack its one of their friends and he really used mouth wash instead of visine by accident. Got pulled over red eyed!

Used this

014657325003_32-06-32500-48_.jpg

instead of this

visine.gif

• Like 1

What Bob said, but it also goes back to the "threat" factor. A cop is a lot more dangerous to you if you are carrying a gun as compared to if you're not. Well, unless you happen to be African-American and 6'5", in which case they think you're a threat anyway.

Regarding guns..

I would call myself anti gun....My father in law has a gun in his house..Its locked up and almost impossible to get to. The only time I ever held a gun, was when he took me shooting on an outdoor range in Fresno.

I know its not a popular position, but I think unless you are a police officer , FBI , RCMP or any type of law enforcement, you dont need to have a gun...Self defence wouldnt be necessary if NO one had guns. Sure it will be impossible and illegal gun trade would still happen, but making it more difficult will lower the gun crimes IMO...

Hunting is not something I like or agree with either.

Gun activists like to play the victim stating the government is going to take away their guns. But it's pretty obvious that day will never come. Unfortunately the gun activists don't realize their power. But it should be a lot harder to obtain a gun I've seen some state that gun deaths will always happen so it's pointless to make it harder. If making it harder makes it so one death does not occur then it's a success. It amazes me how gun activists can just shrug off the death of innocent people like I've seen many do. It's gross.

And I laugh when gun activists complain about having to wait to get a gun and how can they protect themselves while waiting? 90% of the time they already have at least one gun in their possession. Usually more than one. For protection you only really need one gun. Not 6.

It's this crap that makes it hard for me to feel any sympathy for them.

Im still waiting for Obama to release his secret police to take all the guns and imprison us all. Hahaha.

• Like 2

I consider many of the arguments made my pro-gun people to be sound and logical. People should be afraid of their government getting too big, having all the power, all the guns, etc. Maybe it is because I grew up hearing stories from my grandfather about how his government (in 1930s Germany and Austria) made it harder for people to get power, own property, etc, and then they did take all the guns and imprison who they wanted. Like GWCGWC said, to pretend a government (especially one that continues to align itself with religious views) will not hugely abuse its power is to ignore history.

There are two problems with making those arguments in 2015. They both center around the fact that the battle is already lost. Unless the discussion is to completely open up and deregulate all ownership of weapons, the government holds the power. Great, so you have an unregistered concealed weapon. If the government has any interest in hurting you, that gun will not stop the tank or drone or car bomb or whatever the hell else they could do to you without batting an eye. And they'll know where your guns are, because they can surveil you at will. How is you owning a gun going to help you defend against the government when you have to register your gun and concealed permit with them?

The less important factor is the one I said above - if you really think the government is out to get you, and so you carry a gun, you can damn well bet the government knows that and has you on a list somewhere. By trying to defend yourself you are making yourself a visible threat. There's a reason the cops always say something about "I thought he had a gun" before shooting someone and getting away with it scot-free.

The Clive Bundy situation should've been the end of this discussion. We had a bunch of people who wouldn't let the government take their guns all round themselves up militia-style, and dare the government to take something from them. So what happened? The government sent over a few guns and tanks and waited until they got bored. They could've taken out the whole compound with the push of a button. They could've sent in snipers and marines and had everyone in handcuffs in 20 minutes. They could've shut off the power grid, cut off supply lines and starved them out in a month or two. So what difference did all those guns do? It made the government have to worry that maybe a couple of their guys might get shot. Boo hoo, they have hundreds of thousands of troops deployed around the world right now. All their guns did nothing because the government won the power game many years ago, and it isn't close.

I think one side of the argument you guys are missing is that the bad guys already have a lot of guns. Its too late to truly regulate, because it is easy for most criminals to get a gun in the US.

Of course if no one had guns, we would all be safer, but the black market is full of them, so, too late!

So if you are someone who believes that a gun is the only protection you really have against an intruder, I can understand your desire to have one.

Also, agree with Danny in that in the "old days", it was a necessity for many reasons, and having a gun, helped save lives when the government started to exterminate their minorities.

My grandfather was someone who had weapons, and had some incredible stories. Not sure thats a valid argument today though, but I will admit, this weeks events and GWC are making me think.

Also, agree with Danny in that in the "old days", it was a necessity for many reasons, and having a gun, helped save lives when the government started to exterminate their minorities.

Not an unreasonable opinion, but that's not really what I meant to say. Even in the old days, if you were a Jew (in my example) with a gun, it would've just meant the brown shirts knocked on your door before your neighbours and shot you while they rounded up your family, instead of rounding you all up. I doubt there has been an instance in the last 100 years where legally-obtained guns in the hands of private citizens promoted more safety than danger against their own government.

I setup up an agreement with someone on Kijiji to buy an iPhone (for Otto). We agree on the price and when to meet (this Saturday). I get an email from him today saying he sold it.

LIke WTF.

I setup up an agreement with someone on Kijiji to buy an iPhone (for Otto). We agree on the price and when to meet (this Saturday). I get an email from him today saying he sold it.

LIke WTF.

In Real Estate we call this a bully offer...Tough loss, you just have to move on.