Off Topic, Kinda.....

You're right, I should've phrased it more sensitively. Drug addiction is a big issue, and affects one's mental competence. I do think someone who has been to rehab and/or has been sober and has more money than they'll ever need has had the ability to extricate themselves from the factors that would cause relapses, but then again, if we use an actor as an example, and he has to give up all his fame, income and life's work to avoid it, it's hard to blame them for trying to do both, even if they fail.

very true..

We think that money can cure a lot of problems, but we dont really know...I am sure for every Phillip Seymour Hoffman there are 1000s of no named people dying all the time from drug addiction.

I always believe that if I didnt have to work, and had endless supply of money I would not be overweight..as I would have personal trainers, cooks, coaches...But who knows, maybe ill be 300lbs because of all the freedom..

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some lighthearted talk here plus this will make sure that I can read this again sometime as it's a good story, at least for me. If it wasnt for posting all those apartment stories I would forget almos

I debated posting this, because I might be overdoing this topic this week, but I made a sort of personal promise to myself that I am going to promote more positivity and try to never be negative or pu

Danny.... Thats a great attitude to have, and you will be amazed at the progress Owen can make with that kind of attitude and persistence on your part. On Feb 4, 2003, the diagnosis I got was that

its a tragedy, not because he was a great famous actor, but he was a dad

Very well said, could not agree more.

I don't know what it feels like to be addicted to drugs, so I try my best not to judge those who get there. I can understand the argument that if their willpower was strong enough to never have tried it at all, maybe they wouldn't be addicted, but I also don't know what drove them there in the first place. I'm not going to judge others because they have a lot of money and they should have known better. Sounds like the guy tried to get off it for 23years, which tells me he started to experiment long ago when he was a kid and without responsibilities, and I tried my share of things when I was young, so who am I to judge.

Never liked him as an actor or in interviews. Actively avoided any movie he was in if I could. It's unfortunate that he died, along with 300,000 other people yesterday. Sad for his family, friends, and fans but I don't fall into any of those categories.

Correction: he didn't bother me in Twister

I always find celebrity deaths interesting. I've personally can't get to worked up over people's deaths who I didn't know. The whole Lady Diana thing is a perfect example. Housewives in the middle of nowhere in middle America crying and flailing around as if their own child passed away. I just don't understand how people get that close/connected to people they only see on a TV or read about in people magazine. I can see their deaths as unfortunate. I can comprehend the sadness friends and family will feel. But I don't get the rest. Not saying it's wrong to feel that way it's just I've never felt that way and psychologically it's always fascinated me. But my psychology degree was more focused on child development and cognitive stuff.

Never liked him as an actor or in interviews. Actively avoided any movie he was in if I could. It's unfortunate that he died, along with 300,000 other people yesterday. Sad for his family, friends, and fans but I don't fall into any of those categories.

curious to know what actors you do like ?

with all due respect to Steve's tastes thats the first time I heard anyone avoiding Hoffman movies, just because he was in it.

but again, thats a personal taste

I had a dream last night that Serge was trolling me in person about the Broncos SB performance but I couldn't take him seriously because he was way shorter than what I expected. Like, well under 4' kind of short.

Weird.

I always find celebrity deaths interesting. I've personally can't get to worked up over people's deaths who I didn't know. The whole Lady Diana thing is a perfect example. Housewives in the middle of nowhere in middle America crying and flailing around as if their own child passed away. I just don't understand how people get that close/connected to people they only see on a TV or read about in people magazine. I can see their deaths as unfortunate. I can comprehend the sadness friends and family will feel. But I don't get the rest. Not saying it's wrong to feel that way it's just I've never felt that way and psychologically it's always fascinated me. But my psychology degree was more focused on child development and cognitive stuff.

I would agree with you on "celebrity" deaths.

But if you want me to mourn about the other 300,000 deaths that happened yesterday, you are going to have to tell me about who they were and how they impacted me.

I enjoyed PSH's talent. He entertained me. I'm saddened because I wont get to see him in a new film ever again, because I enjoy his acting. I dont wish anyone ill will, but if Kim Kardashian dies tomorrow, it wont affect me any. PSH dying means I wont get to enjoy his art.

Hope you can see the difference in that kind of celebrity vs the Princess Diane kind.

Like Serge said, anyone dying and leaving kids without a father would sadden me too. Thats the real tragedy in all this. Anything else is just me being selfish and wanting more of his acting on my tv screen. Ill find something else, so not a huge deal.

curious to know what actors you do like ?

Why because I don't like him I must redeem myself of listing other actors I enjoy watching?

I don't see myself questioning why most of you like someone I personally do not like. I guess I'm fine with others having different opinions. 1 point for me.

Please excuse any misspellings

Tom hanks

Cary Grant

Ben Kingsley

George clooney

Judy Dench

Ian Mckellen

Brad Pitt

Leo

Jonah Hill

DeNiro

Freeman

Kate Winslet

Nicholson

Damon

Gosling

Spacey

D D Lewis

Emma Thompson

Mark Wahlberg

Will Ferrel

Zooey Dashanel

Gregory Peck

James Dean

Bradley Whitford

John Spencer

Martin Sheen

Richard Schiff

Rob Lowe

And on and on and on and on and on...,

I had a dream last night that Serge was trolling me in person about the Broncos SB performance but I couldn't take him seriously because he was way shorter than what I expected. Like, well under 4' kind of short.

Weird.

Lol weird

Weird.

Totally unrealistic, IMO. He's nowhere near that tall...

I would agree with you on "celebrity" deaths.

But if you want me to mourn about the other 300,000 deaths that happened yesterday, you are going to have to tell me about who they were and how they impacted me.

I enjoyed PSH's talent. He entertained me. I'm saddened because I wont get to see him in a new film ever again, because I enjoy his acting. I dont wish anyone ill will, but if Kim Kardashian dies tomorrow, it wont affect me any. PSH dying means I wont get to enjoy his art.

Hope you can see the difference in that kind of celebrity vs the Princess Diane kind.

Like Serge said, anyone dying and leaving kids without a father would sadden me too. Thats the real tragedy in all this. Anything else is just me being selfish and wanting more of his acting on my tv screen. Ill find something else, so not a huge deal.

I don't disagree with any of this I believe. I said it was unfortunate. Any loss of life is unfortunate. I don't know psh anymore than some guy who died in a mudslide yesterday who had 2 kids.

I don't believe I used your name in my post. Or anyone on FCP tbqh. Just went on a tangent there. But I do know of people who reacted to his death in the Princess DI way thus sparked my thoughts on the matter.

I don't disagree with any of this I believe. I said it was unfortunate. Any loss of life is unfortunate. I don't know psh anymore than some guy who died in a mudslide yesterday who had 2 kids.

I don't believe I used your name in my post. Or anyone on FCP tbqh. Just went on a tangent there. But I do know of people who reacted to his death in the Princess DI way thus sparked my thoughts on the matter.

You might be mistaking my tone for anger, it wasnt, just trying to have a civil conversation. You can like/dislike whatever you want, I was just trying to tell you my thoughts as you told us yours.

I'm just commenting on your comment, thats all.

Why because I don't like him I must redeem myself of listing other actors I enjoy watching?

I don't see myself questioning why most of you like someone I personally do not like. I guess I'm fine with others having different opinions. 1 point for me.

I was curious to know what sort of actors you like since you didn't like his acting and actively disliked it. You know I was asking for your opinion to see if you might have something interesting to say about actors.

Not everybody is trying to be an asshat when they ask you a question.

• Like 1

Sorry. Got in a huge argument with someone over not shedding tears yesterday, still on the defensive :) PLus this potty training stuff has me in edge today.

Also in the interest of full disclosure. Popular actors I dislike since that list is way shorter than listing all the people I enjoy. Get mad. Lol ;)

Ben Stiller

Dustin Hoffman

Julia Roberts

Pauly shore

PSH

Russell Crowe

Hugh Jackman

Come at me. ;)

Sorry. Got in a huge argument with someone over not shedding tears yesterday, still on the defensive :) PLus this potty training stuff has me in edge today.

Also in the interest of full disclosure. Popular actors I dislike since that list is way shorter than listing all the people I enjoy. Get mad. Lol ;)

Ben Stiller

Dustin Hoffman

Julia Roberts

Pauly shore

PSH

Russell Crowe

Hugh Jackman

Come at me. ;)

I'm thinking you're not going to get much flak for Pauly Shore. lol

Weird.

you should get your head checked out. You definitely have some issues