Golf And Rugby Become Olympic Sports

• 1 month later...

I wonder how they are going to have Olympic Trials for golf. Have 1 tournament and top 2 or 3 for each country make it, then match play in the Olympics? Or have a series of tournaments like they do with the FedEx Cup. (edit) Just read the article. I think the top 15 automatic entries is stupid. The point of the Olympics is to have a variety of countries represented. Out of the top 15 currently only one country other than USA is represented more than once (England has 2). Then USA has 7. That is dumb. Also, how do the remaining 45 get picked?But seriously, the olympics are silly. Over half the sports are ridiculous. They have shuffleboard with brooms on ice in the olympics. They should just add everything.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic_games/8196956.stmFor rugby, it's sevens, so I can understand that a bit more. Also, the Sevens World Cup would be scrapped to ensure that the Olympics is the sports top event. But golf?? Really? That is a ridiculous inclusion to the Olympics.
What do people have against golf? Golf is sport that is played all over the world and has a much wide participation audience than rugby.I think rugby is silly to be honest.
What do people have against golf? Golf is sport that is played all over the world and has a much wide participation audience than rugby.I think rugby is silly to be honest.
No, I have nothing at all against golf. I like golf.It's just that I don't think it should be anywhere near an event like the Olympics, because to me an Olympic Gold medal should be the highest accolade in that particular sport. Golf has the 4 majors, the Ryder Cup, the World Matchplay etc... it doesn't need the Olympics. That's my point when I say it's a ridiculous inclusion.
No, I have nothing at all against golf. I like golf.It's just that I don't think it should be anywhere near an event like the Olympics, because to me an Olympic Gold medal should be the highest accolade in that particular sport. Golf has the 4 majors, the Ryder Cup, the World Matchplay etc... it doesn't need the Olympics. That's my point when I say it's a ridiculous inclusion.
Great point here, I was all for it until I read that. Now I am 50-50, if it happens, great, if it doesnt, oh well
It's just that I don't think it should be anywhere near an event like the Olympics, because to me an Olympic Gold medal should be the highest accolade in that particular sport. Golf has the 4 majors, the Ryder Cup, the World Matchplay etc... it doesn't need the Olympics. That's my point when I say it's a ridiculous inclusion.
Soccer has the World Cup, it's far more important than a gold medal but you don't see them dropping that sport do you?Doesn't Rugby have something similar?
Soccer has the World Cup, it's far more important than a gold medal but you don't see them dropping that sport do you?Doesn't Rugby have something similar?
I think it's equally ridiculous that soccer is an Olympic sport, it really shouldn't be, as far as I'm concerned. The same goes for tennis.The reason I'm more inclined to give rugby a pass is because it's rugby 7's, plus they would get rid of the rugby 7's World Cup altogether. Having said that, if I was voting yes or no for it's inclusion, I'd vote no.
Horse pucky. Soccer is an olympic sport, tennis is an olympic sport, and no one would dare accuse the gold medal to be the highest accolade for those sports. For most of the world, teh world basketball championships are more important than the olympics. I think golf is a perfect and logical inclusion to the olympics, it's long past time. IF you want to be a real hard on curmudgeon, you could make it available for amateurs only, and then it would be the number one amateur event in golf, and it wouldn't even be close.
Horse pucky. Soccer is an olympic sport, tennis is an olympic sport, and no one would dare accuse the gold medal to be the highest accolade for those sports.
I don't think they should be Olympic sports though, like I said above. Like golf, they're already huge global sports with their own World Championships/Majors.I don't see how golf is a 'perfect and logical inclusion' in any way. Why not just include every single sport in the world then?

And squash still doesn't get a look in. Sigh.Football, golf, tennis shouldn't be in imo. But they do have the benefit of attracting some athletes with serious star power. Nadal and Federer (with Wawrinka) winning gold medals did legitamise tennis in the sense that it shows the top players care about winning it.The footballers don't look like they care either way so it will be interesting to see how the golfers approach it. Making it an amatuer tournament could work later down the line but get the big names in for this one and see how it goes.

Why not just include every single sport in the world then?
Yes.. why not.... I don't mean every obscure regional sport that only one or two countries give a shit about.. but why not have sports people are actually interested in, instead of a bunch of boring horseshit track and field and gymnastics events I don't give a shit about. I don't see any problem with actually having popular sports in the olympics. Also, as an american, I almost never see rugby on TV, so I think it would be compelling to watch it in the olympicsAlso, I think the golf should be match play.