New To Poker. In Need Of Guidance!

Hey guys!Seems like a great community here.I'll get right to the point. I am new at Poker. Have a background of Blackjack but I've never given Poker a try. Studied the rules, played a few live games with some friends and online as well.Now, if you are not serious about Poker that should have been enough of a start. I am starting to love this game and I want to improve. Now with Blackjack for example it was simple cause I could find tons of free stuff online from basic strategy to betting strategies etc. Poker is more complex and that is why I have a few question and I ask you to give me some advice.What is the best way for a rookie to start improving his game? Of course, other than playing. A few resources would be very helpful as well. If you stick to it, is it a game where you can see results as you go along or should I expect plateaus? And finally, how long did it take you until you could easily and consitently win mathes with newbies?Thanks for reading guys. Eagerly waiting for your input.cheerstrznk

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys!Seems like a great community here.I'll get right to the point. I am new at Poker. Have a background of Blackjack but I've never given Poker a try. Studied the rules, played a few live games with some friends and online as well.Now, if you are not serious about Poker that should have been enough of a start. I am starting to love this game and I want to improve. Now with Blackjack for example it was simple cause I could find tons of free stuff online from basic strategy to betting strategies etc. Poker is more complex and that is why I have a few question and I ask you to give me some advice.What is the best way for a rookie to start improving his game? Of course, other than playing. A few resources would be very helpful as well. If you stick to it, is it a game where you can see results as you go along or should I expect plateaus? And finally, how long did it take you until you could easily and consitently win mathes with newbies?Thanks for reading guys. Eagerly waiting for your input.cheerstrznk[/quote Play for fun. Make money in the real world.
Hey guys!Seems like a great community here.I'll get right to the point. I am new at Poker. Have a background of Blackjack but I've never given Poker a try. Studied the rules, played a few live games with some friends and online as well.Now, if you are not serious about Poker that should have been enough of a start. I am starting to love this game and I want to improve. Now with Blackjack for example it was simple cause I could find tons of free stuff online from basic strategy to betting strategies etc. Poker is more complex and that is why I have a few question and I ask you to give me some advice.What is the best way for a rookie to start improving his game? Of course, other than playing. A few resources would be very helpful as well. If you stick to it, is it a game where you can see results as you go along or should I expect plateaus? And finally, how long did it take you until you could easily and consitently win mathes with newbies?Thanks for reading guys. Eagerly waiting for your input.cheerstrznk
Welcome to the wonderful world of Poker. You came to a great place, as there is plenty of knowledgeable individuals here with the ability to help you and the credentials to boot.I'm not sure how "new" you are to the game, but studying up on the basics would be a great help. Also reading numerous poker books that are out there are helpful, but to be honest, most of the same information can be found on the internet for free.The following site is a pretty good place for beginners, pretty straightforward and will get you started.http://www.pokerpages.com/about-texasholdem.htmWhen you have the basic down move on up to this site.http://www.tightpoker.com/tournaments/^ Site focuses on tournament play but will be of great help in cash games as well.Focus on learning what hands to play, probabilities of winning a hand in a given scenario, fold equity, +EV or (expected value), continuation bets, ect..And finally, how long did it take you until you could easily and consitently win mathes with newbies?When you get good at poker, the last person you are going to want to play is a fish. I'm no where near the best player on this site, but if you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

Thanks a lot guys for the advice and the links. I'll get to work.For the dude who suggested I earn my living some other way, mate I am not trying to live off Poker. But like any other game or sport, if you love it you'll want to get better and better.trznk

huh
Playing people who will call a raise with trash hands like Q 5 preflop versus your AK suited/ AA/ KK/ ect.. and outdraw on you is a very frustrating feeling. People who play in such a way take way more chances that they shouldn't, which results in them getting lucky more often than better players, which results in you seeing many more bad beats than if you played with people who knew what they were doing.
Playing people who will call a raise with trash hands like Q 5 preflop versus your AK suited/ AA/ KK/ ect.. and outdraw on you is a very frustrating feeling. People who play in such a way take way more chances that they shouldn't, which results in them getting lucky more often than better players, which results in you seeing many more bad beats than if you played with people who knew what they were doing.
You're thought process is very misguided.www.pokervt.com
:club: I mean seriously... :ts That is the most back-assward thing I have heard in awhile.If you hate money, then by ALL means, don't play the fish.And Ryan, WHY DIDNT YOU ANSWER ME ON SKYPE...now I am leaving and you made me sad.

Welcome trznkPoker is awsome, and horrible.You'll find people here who will help you, some who will hurt you, and a lot in between.Good luck.

edit
And Ryan, WHY DIDNT YOU ANSWER ME ON SKYPE...now I am leaving and you made me sad.
I've been bouncing around the apartment and haven't really 'chilled' on the computer. But I did read what you said and I'm glad. When I saw that graph you posted the first thing I thought was "Thank god he plays with 400 buyins or that would suck hard." Next time you go on a drive you should burn one. It'll help you focus better :club:
You're thought process is very misguided.www.pokervt.com
In the long run a good player will beat the new clueless players; however with all these new players in the game you will also suffer more bad beats than you would in a game full of skilled players. This has frustrated many veteran players.
Thought process is spot on actually. I never said playing bad players was not profitable, just far more frustrating.
Thought process is spot on actually. I never said playing bad players was not profitable, just far more frustrating.
You said that good players don't want to play against fish, and that's very very wrong. I know many grinders who find it more frustrating to have to play regs all day then fish. You play fish because it's easy money.If you want to continue to think your thought process is "spot on" go ahead. Just know that you have no idea what you're talking about.
You said that good players don't want to play against fish, and that's very very wrong. I know many grinders who find it more frustrating to have to play regs all day then fish. You play fish because it's easy money.If you want to continue to think your thought process is "spot on" go ahead. Just know that you have no idea what you're talking about.
JSpencer, it is called adjusttiinnnngggg.And Ryan is always right (especially when he is reiterating my thoughts!)
You did say that good players don't want to play against bad players though. Which is like the most incorrect thing you could say about poker. Where do you think the money in poker comes from? Do you think it comes from the solid players who play solid hands and are a tad bit more predictable? Or do you think it comes from the guy who calls the raise with queen five and stacks off when he hits top pair?
Opinions really, most players I know get far more frustrated playing fishes due to numerous reasons, but mainly because the bad beats are far more numerous, which they should be, considering more risks are being taken (really don't know how you can argue against that). I could argue my point 1,000 times over, but more than likely people will just scream "It's profitable" in my face. Of course it's profitable, but just because it's profitable does not make it any less frustrating.My point was missed. But I suppose I will drop it, no need to continue arguing in such a thread.

If there were no fish there would be no reason to play poker.Your thought process is incredibly short sighted and you seem to display a tendency to just focus on the bad beats you suffer to bad players.

The goal of poker is making as much money as you can at the level you are playing. You went from saying that good players hate playing against fish to saying that it is just more frustrating. The players that you "know" that don't like playing bad players are probably the type of players that people in this thread love playing.

Your thought process is incredibly short sighted and you seem to display a tendency to just focus on the bad beats you suffer to bad players.