Premiership Fantasy Draft - Picks Only

My 2nd and 3rd round picks are a young English defender who has already excelled at both ends of the pitch and an enigmatic French striker who as hard to play against as he is hated by fans, Everton's JOLEON LESCOTT and Chelsea's NICOLAS ANELKA.Joleon Lescott is the ideal defender for my bench as he is equally adept at playing in the middle and on the left. A very quick, gifted ball player who is good in the air, Lescott offers a good scoring threat from any set piece, evidenced by his 10 premier league goals last season. Already impressive in his young career to date, i have a feeling Lescott will soon be on the way to a big four club and will be pushing for a spot in the English starting 11 before long.thehair.jpgLe Sulk has played in the Premiership with 5 different clubs but most successfully with Arsenal where he burst onto the scene under the tutilage of Arsene Wenger. Nicolas Anelka has power, electric pace and fantastic ball control and is a sniper of the highest calibur but is often derided due to his poor attitude and money grabbing brothers. Has scored goals where ever he's been and is still producing the goods on a regular basis at Chelsea, after a hugely successful spell at Bolton. Another member of my team to have won the European Championships with France in 2000. A very dangerous man whether he is starting or coming off the bench.Anelka3GETTY_228x260.jpg

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Round 14, Pick 3 - Pick #94 OVERALLTime to add a little bit of steel and grit to my squad. Of my midfielders and attackers, only Essien provides the true hard man element. Well that's about to change. One of the all time nut jobs of the Premiership. One of the scariest players you'll ever meet on the football pitch. It is of course....

090115082805-92-27.jpgDennis Wise Dennis Wise Dennis Wise Dennis Wise DENNIS WISE
The former Chelsea captain was one the best defensive midfielders in the Premiersip. He played 261 times for the blues and also made 17 appearances for Leicester City. He was one of the toughest players ever to play the game, a true crazed lunatic. He was a great passer of the ball and an inspirational leader. He also had a mean tackle.I've chosen Wise here because I wanted to add extra toughness to my squad. I also wanted a replacement central-midfielder should Essien or Scholes get injured. Wise gives me the option to play two defensive midfielders if I so please. Essien and Wise will sit back, while Ljungberg, Duff, Scholes and Henry attack, this formation is certainly a possibility.

Squad:GivenLe SauxPetrescuPallisterR.FerdinandCarvalhoDuffLjungbergWiseEssienScholesHenrySheringhamL.Ferdinand

Sub #3-Rob Leearticle-0-02833BCD000005DC-930_468x457.jpgI'll continue with my attacking scheme and gladly add Rob Lee to my squad. I like his versatility as he can be both an attacking mid or a defensive mid(in the role he played under Sir Bobby). He should be able to provide great passing to add to what is fast becoming a classy attack that I've assembled that should all work well together as a team

My substitute goalkeeper is Jose Manuel "Pepe" Reina. This erases any fear I would have about not having strength and depth in this key position. JoseReina_610251.jpgReina has been Liverpool's first choice goalkeeper since he was signed in 2005. Reina has kept over 15 clean sheets each season he has played in the Premiership and won the FA cup in 2006.Pepe has been the receipient of the Barclays "Golden Gloves" award on 3 occasions since its inception in 2004/5. The other winner? My 1st choice goalkeeper. YMA's goalkeeper production line is frightening :club:

Adding more defensive steel to my squad, the vastly experienced, 6ft 4", multi-trophy winning stalwart of Liverpool's defence for over 10 years... Sami HyypiaHyypiaDM2105_468x473.jpgIt's no surprise that Hyypia has been named by his fellow pros to be in the PFA Team of the Year twice... He's coming to the end of his Liverpool career at 35 years old now, but he's been Mr. Dependable for a long time before that. He's got 2 FA Cups to his name, 2 League Cups, a UEFA Cup (and was in the 2001 UEFA Team of the Year), 2 Supercups and of course, 1 Champions League medal.He is something of a role model too, adding to the 'family experience' here at Gold Stafford, that we like to promote. He's had only one red card throughout his entire career, which for a top-flight defender is highly commendable. He's a nice guy... I'll probably have him running up and down the touchline during games signing autographs, maybe selling ice-cream or something. I think he'd look quite good in one of those old fashioned hats that ice creams vendors used to wear.A very welcome addition to my already imposing squad and perfect cover for Stam/Vidic.

My next pick is my sub keeper. Its Tim Flowers!_1435271_flowers300_alls.jpgI honestly considered picking Tim Flowers as my number 1 keeper, as I think he was a excellent goal keeper who was unlucky not win more England caps. He started off at Wolves and played quite a few seasons with Southampton but he really made his name with Blackburn. He was an integral part of their team during the formative years of the Premier League and was one of the key reasons behind their League win in 1995. He also starred for Leicester and won the league cup with them in 2000.

Me = drunkPick = Jon Arne RiiseExpansion = later

I need some defensive cover for my team and who better than Olaf Mellberg!Olof_Mellberg_401075a.jpgHe was a tough uncomprimising defender for Aston Villa for 7 seasons. Equally adept at centre back or right back he was also the 1st player to score at Arsenal's new stadium. Much loved by the Aston Villa fans he returned the favour by buying the entire away section a home or away shirt.

I'll flesh out later, but I think I'll add one last striker to my team:Paolo Di Caniopic11583.jpg67 goals in 189 matches may not seem great (48 in 118 with West Ham United), but I doubt anyone will deny that Di Canio had a blazing shot and an ability to be at the centre of plays make him a soldi addition to my club. Famed for two incidents that land at opposite ends of the sportsmanship spectrum (referee shoving and goal shunning), Di Canio's pace and ball handing make him not just a quality late game sub, but a potential starter. He may even think as highly of hilself as Ginola...

I'm picking a midfield genuis as my 4th sub pick... That's right, it's none other than quasimodo himself, Peter Beardsley!*Picture deleted* - Kids may be reading this thread, I don't want to scare them.I guess this is the 'Premiership' only fantasy draft, but even if you include his Prem stint, he was part of the Newcastle glory days between '93 - '97. Those who remember that period, he was huge for Newcastle, linking up with Andy Cole regularly (he scored 25 goals in 1993 himself when they finished 3rd). And he was an integral part of the team that so very nearly won the League in 1996.What a player... get on the bench Beardo, you're in my squad son.

Awh sick! I was just about to pop in this thread and say "little tired right now, will expand tomorrow, my pick is Peter Beardsley". Since Peter Beardsley has just been picked, I'm gonna have to go with someone else........Okay, WTF, let's go with a bit of flair.So far in my substitutes I have pick the goalscorer, the rock at the back, and the influential midfielder. Now it's time for an impact sub. The kind of guy, that will get 40,000 people on their feet applauding him. He single handedly transformed a whole football club. The best way I've heard to describe this guy is"He transformed Bolton from the piss-break team on Match of the Day, to the must-see team"So good they named him twice...It is of course, JAY - JAY OKOCHA0,,1004~2706159,00.jpgNobody, and I mean nobody, could match Jay-Jay when it came to skills. You can have your Zolas and your Ginolas, I'll take Okocha thank you very much. He was so smart and so skilful, I've yet to see a player like Okocha. He was utterly unique. It doesn't matter if your Roy Keane or Beckenbauer himself, Jay-Jay will take you on and make you look foolish. Definitely a great player to have in your squad!

For my 4th sub selection (i say sub selection but really its a squad selection as this guy will be starting many games), i select the little Argentine who is beloved by Man U and West Ham fans and villified but Sheffield Utd and Neil Warnock - Number 32 CARLOS TEVEZ.As demonstrated during his current spell at United, Tevez doesnt mind being part of a big squad and is undoubtedly a difference maker whenever he plays, with his pace, workrate and genuine talent enough to scare any defence. Tevez also rounds out the attacking contingent in my squad as a forward quartet of Anelka, Tevez, Klinsmann and Fowler, with Juninho for company should be enough to scare any defence.Carlos-Tevez-Manchester.jpg

sorry it took me so long, have been working on a paper and its mid-termshave to leave right now, but my pick is Des Walker

i'll fill this out later but my pick is an England international with 50 caps to his name, and numerous league titles amongst other honours - Everton's left back/defensive midfielder - PHIL NEVILLE.phil_neville.jpg

Looking over my squad, I'd like some cover at left-back. There's none better at this stage in my opinion to draft in, than Wayne Bridge.sport-graphics-2008_687299a.jpgHe took over the left-back slot at Chelsea from Le Saux, and contributed to the most succesful period in their history, winning 2 Premier League medals and an FA Cup.I do feel Bridge has been underrated throughout his career though, because his crossing and set-play ability is way stronger than Ashley Cole imo, who is generally considered Chelsea (although many fans actually would have preferred Bridge) and England's number one choice left-back.He's now just started a new challenge at Man City... a good choice for him I think because he was never going to be allowed to be a consistent first choice for Chelsea, despite his fantastic record and playing ability.I admire his temperament and consistency too... he's not one to complain, gets his head down and will work hard for the squad/team.

Fleshing out my defense, another longtime EPL player and a solid all-around defender, capped 49 times for Ireland...Richard DunneDUNNE_Richard_19990828_GH_L.jpgAlthough having spent all of his time with 2nd tier EPL teams (351 combined matches for Man City and Everton), he is highly regarded as a consistent. The first man to win PotY at Man City 3 times in a row and has since been named club captain. Not only is Dunne consistently a solid player (who Micah Richards ranks up there with John Terry and Rio Ferdinand, fwiw), he also plays with fire and determination, having recently received his 8th EPL red card, equalling Patrick Vieira and Duncan Ferguson. Dunne's experience at centering a 3 man defense allows for additional flexibility on Mercury Rangers and you should be very, very afraid.

Gustavo Poyet

sub no. 5- Warren BartonBARTON_Warren_19970323_NF_R.jpgat one point he was the most expensive defender in the world when he was snapped up by Newcastle for 4m GBP, funny how things change in 14 yearsWell, that's not the only reason I'm picking him. He was quality on the ball and an excellent defender when he was needed to. In this side, I'll use him for his attacking prowess and quality passing, but his defending won't be looked over either. He deserved more caps for england and if he played for another country like spain or france, he may have been more recognized, well, what's england's loss is my gain. He will also help my side in being an entertaining side

I pick...Mikael SilvestreSilvestre_468x538.jpgVersatile squad player that can play at left-back and centre-back.Squad:GivenPetrescuLe SauxSilvestrePallisterCarvalhoFerdinandDuffLjungbergWiseEssienOkochaScholesSheringhamHenryLes Ferdinand

God I'm lazy. Joe Cole.

my next pick is a premiership legend, and possesser of 48 england caps, pompey keeper DAVID JAMES.James has made 545 premier league appearances and holds a succession of records including most consecutive appearances. he makes the ideal compiment to schmeichel in the goals, providing high end competition to keep that position interesting. DavidJames_633572454495000000.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
I'm going to go out on a limb and just make my final two picks:Jose Reina (GK)Joleon Lescott (aka Mr Consistency, defender)
Reina has gone too.