How Do I Get Over The Hump?

This past month I have been playing alot of live tournys and playing great for the 1st 3 - 5 hours, building a nice stack. but when it gets down to 2 tables or so I have been busting out. Im a pretty tight player and im pretty good at final table play. but the past month seems when I get a huge stack, I get great hands and lose on the river to bust me out. What can I do? Fold monsters? just deal with it and keep telling myself it all evens out in the long run? hell toninght I was in a big tourny, pays top 7.... 12 left in it, im 4th in chips about 38K, I get pocket Kings being BB. blings ar 1000/2000. UTG min raises (hes chip leader), all fold, I just call.... flop is 8d Kh 3s.... he bets -10k, I reraise the make it 20K, he puts me all in and I call. he flips AA and and sees my set and says nice hand. of course we all know he got his 3rd ace on the river to knock me out. This has been happening to me all month! I build big stacks just to get busted out right before final table. what can I do to get over this hump?? :club:

This past month I have been playing alot of live tournys and playing great for the 1st 3 - 5 hours, building a nice stack. but when it gets down to 2 tables or so I have been busting out. Im a pretty tight player and im pretty good at final table play. but the past month seems when I get a huge stack, I get great hands and lose on the river to bust me out. What can I do? Fold monsters? just deal with it and keep telling myself it all evens out in the long run? hell toninght I was in a big tourny, pays top 7.... 12 left in it, im 4th in chips about 38K, I get pocket Kings being BB. blings ar 1000/2000. UTG min raises (hes chip leader), all fold, I just call.... flop is 8d Kh 3s.... he bets -10k, I reraise the make it 20K, he puts me all in and I call. he flips AA and and sees my set and says nice hand. of course we all know he got his 3rd ace on the river to knock me out. This has been happening to me all month! I build big stacks just to get busted out right before final table. what can I do to get over this hump?? :club:
Run better. They're called donkaments for a reason. Switch to cash games.

I thought this was going to be about how to maintain focus for playing long sessions, but turns out its just a bad beat thread. :(Anyone else noticed this forum being out of control recently?

What's the "hump" you are looking to clear? Final Table? Winning? Hard to tell, but I'm sure most would say keep grinding and be patient, it will come. Also playing tight when it gets down to the final couple tables is the wrong approach, sure you will get your good hands beat sometimes but you should be loosening up when it gets this deep in a tourney. I don't mean play every hand, but simply making positional raises to steal blinds whenever possible to help pad your stack. Yes, this OP sounds like a bad-beat story and if so just get over it because it happens to EVERYBODY and NOBODY cares. Hope I could be of some assistance and welcome to FCP.

What's the "hump" you are looking to clear? Final Table? Winning? Hard to tell, but I'm sure most would say keep grinding and be patient, it will come. Also playing tight when it gets down to the final couple tables is the wrong approach, sure you will get your good hands beat sometimes but you should be loosening up when it gets this deep in a tourney. I don't mean play every hand, but simply making positional raises to steal blinds whenever possible to help pad your stack. Yes, this OP sounds like a bad-beat story and if so just get over it because it happens to EVERYBODY and NOBODY cares. Hope I could be of some assistance and welcome to FCP.
Thanks Ka-Boom! Ill try staying more aggressive when it gets down to the last few tables.

Pretty simple motto to live by in the final few tables of a tournament is "In order to live, you must be willing to die." Don't try to just eek into the money, or play too solid. Seize the moment. Don't be a whack job, but you're trying to accumulate chips so you can get after it and win the tournament.Tournaments are high variance things. You'll have to play a bunch to make money on them, and you gotta understand that going into them. If you bust on a tough hand, you bust on a tough hand -- next tournament.

Looks like you played that had correctly to me. Just keep plugging I suppose. I definitely prefer cash to tournaments though for just this reason. I don't plan on busting but if it happens, I bring another buy in and grind my way back.