Counting The Challenges In Mn

I think you're both sort of right. The comprehensive review of the uncounted Florida ballots solidifies George W. Bush's legal claim on the White House because it concludes that he would have won under the ground rules prescribed by the Democrats.But the analysis does not diminish the heartbreaking might-have-beens for Al Gore. It suggests that more Floridians intended to vote for Mr. Gore but were deterred, in some cases by ballots that were confounding even to elderly voters who are accustomed to having five bingo cards going at once. (No wonder networks reported on election night that, based on polls of voters leaving the polls, Mr. Gore had won Florida.)http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/12/politics...c9d&ei=5070
That article is an editorial, and it not only omits the fact that Gore would have won in many scenarios of a statewide recount, but is in fact quite misleading in implying that this is not the case (bolded):Had the analysis concluded that under every conceivable circumstance, Mr. Gore would have triumphed under a statewide recount, or that there had been fraud or other mischief, the Democrats would have had reason to speak out today. But it found that even if the Supreme Court had not stepped in to block a statewide manual recount, Mr. Bush would have won.Why "every conceivable circumstance?" That is illogical, and his conclusion is blatantly false. From Wikipedia (from National Opinion Research Center):If all votes in Florida had been counted either under Florida law (which prescribes "intent of the voter), under the rules requested by Bush, or under the request by Gore within a week of the election to count all the Florida votes, Gore would have won the election. However, under the recount initially requested by Gore to include four Florida counties but not the entire state, Bush would have won.It really can't be any clearer than that.
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't seriously still believe this do you? The 2000 election was not stolen. Every recount, even heavy liberal recounts like the New York Times, had Bush winning.
I dont believe 33% of the Jews in Boca voted for Pat Buchanan. Luck is a part of everything. They threw out thousands of Florida votes during that election. I dont necessarily think Gore would have won with a total recount. I cant really know that.But I do know it is ridiculous to bitch and moan about "disenfranchised" Minnesota voters out of one side of the mouth and be totally cool with the decision in Florida. These things happen....you cant have it both ways. Read Bush v. Gore for more reference. It is not as cut and dried as you think. They threw out a lot of votes. A lot. That doesnt mean Gore would have won. I cant know that. But I do know they threw out lots of votes.
I dont believe 33% of the Jews in Boca voted for Pat Buchanan. Luck is a part of everything. They threw out thousands of Florida votes during that election. I dont necessarily think Gore would have won with a total recount. I cant really know that.But I do know it is ridiculous to bitch and moan about "disenfranchised" Minnesota voters out of one side of the mouth and be totally cool with the decision in Florida. These things happen....you cant have it both ways. Read Bush v. Gore for more reference. It is not as cut and dried as you think. They threw out a lot of votes. A lot. That doesnt mean Gore would have won. I cant know that. But I do know they threw out lots of votes.
Good Post Cain. I have a big problem anytime it goes to the point of deciding voters intent.