Gustov Releif

A few of you may remember a post I started 3+ years ago about Katrina. For those that don't I'll give you a brief explanation of what it was about.The day many people evacuated New Orleans from Katrina my wife and I noticed how busy everything was around here (Memphis Tn.). After a bit we realized there were thousands of people in the Memphis area from the Katrina overflow and we wanted to try and help a little. Well we went to a few gas stations and filled up peoples fuel tanks. We also paid for a night or two in a hotel room for an evacutee (SP?).I came on this site telling people about it and how they might want to help someone in need if they see someone from that area.Well I received several responses from people I'd never met (even on the internet) sending me money. They said they wanted to help but they weren't seeing evacuee's in Ohio, Illinois, etc. Anyway, my wife and I were driving around Memphis and northern Mississippi this afternoon (Sun Aug 31) seeing all sorts of Louisiana plates. So if there's anyone interested in helping us help others PM me. I'll give you my address and we can go from there. If you're a total skeptic thinking I might run off with the money then don't bother. I'm not trying to be a jerk about it. It's just that, sure, it's possible I may run off with it never to be heard from again. But sometimes you just have to trust. Oh, my plans are to go buy a bunch of food and cook it at the park across the street feeding dinner to a whole bunch of them. At this time I plan on doing this Wednesday or Thursday night.If you have any questions post them here or PM me.

I'm in San Antonio, where a very large number of evacuees are coming (some may even be evacutees, too). I'm personally concentrating on the dogs and cats that have been evacuated, but if anyone is looking to get supplies or anything directly to people, I'd be happy to deliver.

If you ever find yourself driving from Memphis/N. MS through either NE Florida or Chicago, IL with spare vehicle storage space, let me know... There's a little antique shop just outside of Tupelo in Okolona called Edens that, as far as primitive furniture, is the best E V E R. They have shit I presently need for my home decor but I'm too lazy to drive the 11 hours each way to get it.

I'm in San Antonio, where a very large number of evacuees are coming (some may even be evacutees, too). I'm personally concentrating on the dogs and cats that have been evacuated, but if anyone is looking to get supplies or anything directly to people, I'd be happy to deliver.
What are you guys up to for the pet population?
primitive furniture
Oh, the jokes that could be made if I didn't want to start with the racism which would almost undoubtedly end in your bannage once again.

I went to the Red Cross tonight (with wife and 2 y/o daughter in tow) and they sent us to Target and Kroger to get some stuff for the people at the shelters.The first shelter we went to had a capacity of 150 people. There were 281 people there. All I can say is wow, there were a lot of uncomfortable people there. The next place had a capacity of 150 and had 174 there. Everyone was real nice to me except one lady said the towels I was giving her had germs on here....mmmmmmmmmm k.We just walked in the door at like 130 am and we're going back out at 730 am. I was going to take a bunch of pics but it became obvious to me that it wouldn't be proper to take a bunch of pics of em while they were trying to live n all.

Red Cross will throw a fit if the volunteers take pictures, either when working shelters or out on community outreach. When we helped out at the Wicomico Civic Center when Hurricane Isabel was coming in, that was one thing the shelter manager was absolutely vehement about- no pictures. It's kinda understandable; yeah, wow, look at that house that was just blown away, everyone back home sure would love to see this... You fail to think that the guy you just gave a case of Rice Krispie Treats to used to live there and is absolutely devastated about it (I still took an assload of pictures anyway- I had this tiny Benq DC300 digcam that no one ever noticed)

What are you guys up to for the pet population?
You mean as far as evacuees? I'm not sure, but I've heard they're expecting thousands. We gotta ship 'em all back afterwards, too, because there's not enough scraps in San Antonio for anymore.