Metagame still matters. If you play back at someone enough, they WILL fight back and go out of their comfort zone, and they will inevitably make mistakes (this is one of the main ways that aggressive generates profits).RANGE BALANCING doesn't matter.What you said ISN'T range balancing. Seriously, learn your ****ing terms before making dumb comments. Range balancing is basically playing various parts of your range the same way. What Simo was saying was "if you play your draws this way, are you playing your big hands this way as well?" If you check/raise air on a A72 rainbow board, are you check raising a set on that board as well? That's what balancing your range is. Pushing and playing aggressively to get action on future hands is NOT range balancing.
At the risk of appearing stupid, I have to say that your point is not clear to me.I think you might be drawing a distinction between an appearance of a wide range and actually having a wide range.
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Metagame still matters. If you play back at someone enough, they WILL fight back and go out of their comfort zone, and they will inevitably make mistakes (this is one of the main ways that aggressive generates profits).RANGE BALANCING doesn't matter.What you said ISN'T range balancing. Seriously, learn your ****ing terms before making dumb comments. Range balancing is basically playing various parts of your range the same way. What Simo was saying was "if you play your draws this way, are you playing your big hands this way as well?" If you check/raise air on a A72 rainbow board, are you check raising a set on that board as well? That's what balancing your range is. Pushing and playing aggressively to get action on future hands is NOT range balancing.
Can a smart person explain to me how these are different?
Can a smart person explain to me how these are different?
Range balancing is when you play 2 hands of differing strength the same way on the same board. For example, if you were to check raise as a bluff on a rainbow board, you would be balancing your range if you were check raising a monster hand such as a set there as well.Metagame is when you do things at a given point in time to affect the gameplay later. For example, you 3bet a guy relentlessly to get him to 4bet bluff or spaz shove light.
Range balancing is when you play 2 hands of differing strength the same way on the same board. For example, if you were to check raise as a bluff on a rainbow board, you would be balancing your range if you were check raising a monster hand such as a set there as well.Metagame is when you do things at a given point in time to affect the gameplay later. For example, you 3bet a guy relentlessly to get him to 4bet bluff or spaz shove light.
Does it piss off a low-stakes player more to bluff him on a dry board, a drawish board, or preflop? I suspect it's similar. Any any case, he should give more action in the preflop example if he perceives that your range is wide.3-betting preflop and pushing with draws create the illusion of a wide range in a way that costs relatively little to the unnattentive. But "balancing" a range of sets mathematically requires very few bluffs on a dry board, because we have his top pair so crushed when we have the sets. That is, the bluffing frequency should go down even in an optimal strategy.I believe (and I think you do, too) that low-stakes players tend to overplay their hands naturally, so our strategy to exploit this should include more value-betting and less bluffing. The only thing I think we differ on is that I don't really think we can separate ranges from metagame. I guess we can call him our bitch during the hand, which clearly affects the metagame but not the ranges. But we can't really adjust the ranges without affecting the metagame.
Does it piss off a low-stakes player more to bluff him on a dry board, a drawish board, or preflop? I suspect it's similar. Any any case, he should give more action in the preflop example if he perceives that your range is wide.3-betting preflop and pushing with draws create the illusion of a wide range in a way that costs relatively little to the unnattentive. But "balancing" a range of sets mathematically requires very few bluffs on a dry board, because we have his top pair so crushed when we have the sets. That is, the bluffing frequency should go down even in an optimal strategy.I believe (and I think you do, too) that low-stakes players tend to overplay their hands naturally, so our strategy to exploit this should include more value-betting and less bluffing. The only thing I think we differ on is that I don't really think we can separate ranges from metagame. I guess we can call him our bitch during the hand, which clearly affects the metagame but not the ranges. But we can't really adjust the ranges without affecting the metagame.
I don't entirely know what you mean by this. But if you mean that we can't metagame someone into adjusting their ranges, you are definitely wrong here. We are able to induce people into making mistakes by putting them on tilt or by thinking one level above them and doing what they don't expect/want us to do.
I don't entirely know what you mean by this. But if you mean that we can't metagame someone into adjusting their ranges, you are definitely wrong here.
No, that's not what I mean. I mean this:pokervenn.gif
3-betting preflop and pushing with draws create the illusion of a wide range in a way that costs relatively little to the unnattentive. But "balancing" a range of sets mathematically requires very few bluffs on a dry board, because we have his top pair so crushed when we have the sets. That is, the bluffing frequency should go down even in an optimal strategy.
I'm pretty sure this is backwards now. We need a lot of bluffs to balance a strong range.