Playing the cards or players....

I have read many articles/books on the game, but neither really answered one question I have. My question to you guys here is this: Do you play the cards or the players? Its hard to describe what I mean and hopefully someone understands. Thanks for the help!

i completely agree with the above poster. If you are playing with really good players that know the game, you can play more off what they have. If you know they have a pair of 8s with an ace and a king on the board, you can bluff pretty easily to get them off the hand. But against someone who is newer to the game, they will probably call your bets to the river with a pair of 8s. Against new players its better just to wait for the cards.

Thanks for the replies! The BPV posts really helped understand why. Im always playing with my friends.. a couple really good and the rest not so good. I can read the better ones pretty well, but those newer guys i never know what to do.

I have to say I play the players. Some players if I raise pre-flop with AK and they re-raise I will move all in, others I just call, and there is only 1 player that I know I would throw it away pre-flop ; he is a rock. I also play the players with my bluffs. Some I can re-raise pre-flop with a 94 and make them lay it down, others I would dare. However post-flop I play my cards more.

The answer is most definitely both simultaneously. You need to play the cards the right way given the opposition. You need to bluff when the board didn't hit your opponent. You need to extract value from your good hands which is a matter of playing your opposition. The idea of one without the other is mistaken. It's easier to "play the players" when you're against a weak-tight playing rock, since he adds value to your 9-2 off or any other hand but even then you need to know when to push and when to not get trapped, since they do play only strong hands, and continue with them when the flop hits them.Hell, "playing your cards" vs. bad players is essentially playing the player still; you know he goes to showdown waaay too much, and therefore you need to play hands that will win the showdown, and just win those big pots and play conservatively elsewhere, since bluffing someone who goes too far with anything is suicidal. You are adjusting your play to the player you're facing, even when you're "playing your cards".Neither of these really exist in a vacuum. Play your cards given your opposition.

It also depends on what you are playing. I play primarily Omaha H/L - which has a much higher percentage of showdowns than holdem.If you're bored and looking for a game with alot of factors - play razz or stud h/l - you play your cards, your opponent, and your opp's cards - its fun :D