Villian is an unknown to meIs this way to passive ? I had no idea where I was at after he called flopPokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (6 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Preflop: Hero is BB with 7club.gif, 7spade.gif. UTG raises, 4 folds, Hero calls.Flop: (4.50 SB) 4diamond.gif, Jspade.gif, 9spade.gif(2 players)Hero checks, UTG bets, Hero raises, UTG calls.Turn: (4.25 BB) Kheart.gif(2 players)Hero checks, UTG checks.River: (4.25 BB) 8club.gif(2 players)Hero checks, .

Was this that unknown guy at the first table? I think since we raised the flop turn has to be a bet/fold. Not sure what to do on river if he calls the turn though.

mmmm, these are tough hands...Why did you raise the flop?What do you think his UTG range is? I think that'd be a good start here.
It was AhxxxI raised the flop to see if I could get him off 2 overcards, planning to fold to a 3 bet (indicating his possible overpair or AJ)It was one of our first hands, so I had no reads.....other than this was our FCP strat table so I assumed that he was not a donk (until proven otherwise, that is my general guesstimation regarding other FCP'ers). So I was guessing a good pair or 2 picture cards. By his not 3 betting, I suspected I was ahead (that he didn't have a J or overpair) or he had TT , 88, maybe A9 (not sure if he would pfr with that, I might if it was A9s). By the turn, I have to worry about AK or KQ too. His check behind on the turn helped my confidence. I didn't think the 8 on the river could help him, but 4 overcards on the board was freaking me out. Mostly afraid of a 9 or him trapping me with a K
Why would you want to "get him off two overcards"?
Also, which 2 overs do you think he's folding? He's never folding AK, AQ, KQ, KT, QT, T8, etc. AT with no spade is the only possible fold in his overcard range here and that's doubtful. I'm not even questioning the way the hand is played. I just want to stress the importance of dissecting his range in spots like this. When you have a plan of action, you need to know what your objective is for your play and whether that objective is reasonable.

Zach.............I wanted him to fold before he hit somethingKenny........Frequently, I am not reasonable :ts I would hope he didn't raise pf with QT or T8, although I agree he wouldn't/shouldn't fold them. I guess I was hoping that he would fold AK, AQ, AT, and KQ......because he should tremble in fear in the face of my intimidating CR. I didn't really think about it from the side of "would I fold those hands there?" Hmmmm. My head hurts :club:

Zach.............I wanted him to fold before he hit something
What?????????No, you want him to pay money to draw when he's behind.Getting a guy to fold when you are ahead isn't the way to make money.Remember, poker is not about winning pots, it's about winning money.
What?????????No, you want him to pay money to draw when he's behind.Getting a guy to fold when you are ahead isn't the way to make money.Remember, poker is not about winning pots, it's about winning money.
ESPECIALLY Limit Holdem. Great points.OP: Your flop raise slowed him down, turned him into a passive player. That generally means that he can't beat what you're representing there. If he's not a donk, he's afraid of the jack, he may be on a spade draw.What does he have that beats you there? An overpair? Possibly, but he (again assuming he's not a donk) wouldn't assume you'd hit your set just due to a flop raise. He flat called your raise and checked the turn behind you. He doesn't have a set, because in the absence of a flush/straight draw out there, you jam a set to death in LHE. You probably just gave him a free look at the river with his flush draw, or you made him think his 9's were good. I think he either had a pair of 9's that you made him slow down on, TT, a big ace, or a flush draw.