What's wrong with playin 4-5 suited?

I was playin online about a week ago on Tropics and I was up about a thousand. I was on the button and having not played many hands in awhile decided to call with 4-5 :D so, with the blinds it was about a 200 chip call. I got raised by somebody in late position who was holding K-Q offsuit by about 500. And with just me and him in the pot, I felt that if the flop came the right way I could probably take the pot. So the flop comes 4-4-7, flopping me trips. So I check raised him all in and he called. After he got hellza snippy at me for "ruining poker" by calling with "garbage". I told him that Doyle Brunson's favorite hand was 5-6 suited, yet he still was mad as hell. Personally, more so when there are more people in, I am willing to call average raises with suited connectors because, for one, you are unlikely to get hardlocked or have other people with your outs as opposed to a hand like A-9 or A-10. What is your personal strategy in playin low suited connectors and do you think that in the long run the less I play those hands the more succesful I will be?

anyone who tells you 'how can you call with those cards', you definitely want to play with them at your table. the more predictable a player is, the more bluffable they are. onlie is a lot harder but in live NL cash games if i know the raiser well and if i can put them on AK/AQ etc, i will often call with rags - dont even have to be suited connector. you have entire deck of cards as your outs (vs A and picture cards). Tight predictable players are easy pickings. guys who call with any two cards but know when to fold their cards are the ones i don't want to play against. at least thats my rookie opinion.

First, Doyle's hand was 10-2. He won both his main events with it.Second, Sklansky's theory of poker is (paraphrased): "When you make someone play their cards differently than they would if they knew what you have in your hand, you win..."--draw your own conclusion.With 4-5 suited, the first question I ask is "What were the blinds...", since you didn't mention them. If the blinds were 50/100, I might have called to 200, especially if I was already in the BB for 100 or even the SB for 50. After the flop, it wasn't a bad call. If he felt so good about him KQ, he should've protected it with a better raise.Overall, however, 45s isn't the kind of hand you want to regularly play. Think about it. You probably hit the best hand you could have (short of 5-5-4) with what you had. It was a lucky flop. It also was a lousy call for him. With a check-raise, I'd have thought you hit something, and put you on A4. Other than what you hit, what is the best hand you can hope for from those rags? A community flush, 5 higher? A straight flush? Be careful--recognize your skill level and play within it.

Man, I can't believe the brilliant poker pro who called all in with KQ after missing the flop entirely and being check raised by someone who called the pre-flop raise ended up losing the pot. :roll: Playing low suited-connectors can be great, especially in raised pots. When someone raises, you can usually put them on big cards and if you hit the flop or flop a strong draw you can take down huge pots. For me to call with something like your 45s, it would depend on the size of the blinds, size of the stacks, your impression of the player, if others are likely to be involved, etc etc. It should always be done on a case by case basis, as should anything in poker, but they can definitely be very very profitable cards. Especially since when you miss the flop you never have any longing to hang on to them and muck easily.

What's wrong with 54s? It's a crappy hand. That's a coupl'a babies. I will not call a raise very often with this hand. If it was 87s or something, that would be different.Now I said I would not call a raise "very often", but you have to do something to switch up you play...re-raise 55, call with garbage, raise with garbage...So it's not that bad as long as you don't see the flop no matter what when you have a small suited connector like that.

Yeah I really like playin 8-7 suited it puts you in a good position if A) you hit an 8 or a 7 or B) low flop which could give you draws. One hand I really don't like overplaying is a hand like J-10 suited or Q-10 suited and calling massive raises with them. If two face cards come up at best you have an draw and at worst your kicker is beat. Yeah, but I agree with all of you, mixing up your play is so important to keep your opponents confused and when the time comes betting into you.

First, Doyle's hand was 10-2. He won both his main events with it.
actually its 67 suited, as he stated in his book. 45 is a suited connector, therefore one of his favorites. When he mentions 10 deuce, he claims that it is a trash hand but it was heads up and he had to play... he doesnt particularly like it.... AQ is also called doyle brunson, and he despises that hand.now back to the original post. good play. its only usually worth it when you are against a high stacked player that will double you through on the right flop.... the strategy is just fine in tournaments... in cash games it doesnt hold as much water. i have cracked many AA and KK with 45 56 and 67 suited.... the only thing is that when you hit a flop you shouldnt play passively.... bet into the original raiser..... if ya want to say "doyle this" and "doyle that" then read supersystem.

Like all of these great players said,these types of hands(45s 67s) are a great way to change your speeds and should be used as tools. The variables will determine when if and how to play those "tools". I love to hear stories of the great all in calls with k high! I lets me know there is still money to be made.