Official I Joined A Gym Thread

Flying 200's = YESI think these will become a Monday staple until I decide otherwise. I definitely enjoyed the tired/re-energized/slightly more tired/slightly re-energized/exhausted transition. After once around the track I was like, "This won't be bad at all." By the end of the 10th, I was VERY happy to be done. Thanks, Guap. I dig 'em.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For reals. I'd like to start some light lifting at some point but haven't decided on a workout. Any suggestions for a weak 27-year-old who hasn't lifted seriously in at least three years are welcome.
seems like you want to train twice a week. I have a feeling something like TRX would be good for you; http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/suspension_training/index.php the TRX Force bundle is cool; http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/page/000-94127/PROD/FTKMG you can take it with you and train out doors or train indoors and it is portable.If you purchase one of the books i suggested earlier you could design your own body weight based workout program.You could do those muscle ups. running and muscle ups a few times a week would give you gymnast like results. 3 to 10 sets of muscles ups 2 times a week, will make you like the mango.Parkour?you could do this if you have a gym.I suggest doing this program for 6-8 weeks. Then take a week off from working out to let your body rest. Then workout for 6-8 weeks and again rest for one week..etc...etc...I suggest performing three sets for each body part with the same weight for 12-15 reps. For example if you do chest press on your machine with 90lbs. You would do 90lbs for all three sets. if you can perform all three sets for 15 reps with 90lbs. you would increase your weight to the next weight. I will assume the next weight is 100lbs. since most machines increase in 10lb increments. If you can not perform at least 12 reps for one of the sets. you would lower your weight next time. example; you do 90lbs for 15 reps the first set, then do 13 reps the second set, and on the third set did 11. you would lower the weight to 80lbs next time.Abs:Janda sit ups 3 set 20-30xLegs:squats for 3 sets of 12-15 repsdumbbell or barbell deadlift for 3 sets of 12-15 repsChest:dumbbell chest press or bench press for 3 sets of 12-15 repsBack:Barbell rows or one arm rows for 3 sets of 12-15 repsShoulders:standing dumbbell or barbell presses for 3 sets of 12-15 reps*upright rows with dumbbells or barbell for 3 sets of 12-15 repsTriceps/Upperbody:dips for 3 sets of 6 to 15 reps add weight when you can do more than 15. can't do dips do lying tricep extensions with a barbell or dumbbell for 3 sets of 12-15 reps....Dips are the best exercise though.Biceps:hammer curls or barbell curls for 3 sets of 12-15 repsThis workout can be done 2 to 3 times a week. You should rest 2 to 4 days between workouts. Never workout 4 times a week. you can work up to three sets. Perhaps start with 1 set of each exercise week one, go to 2 sets week two, and then 3 sets on week three. *optional:)
So, I did my first yoga session yesterday and it was awesome. Felt great to stretch the muscles out and still be able to feel a bit of a burn. From what I was told we were doing more of a "Yang" yoga which is the more intense version as compared to the "yin" which incorporates more single moves and concentrates on breathing and holding. Then for the afternoon, we went out and did some Mountain Biking for about an hour and a half.I will get into the gym and start some new swimming drills tonight. My friend gave me the DVD for "Total Immersion Swimming" and it concentrates on getting a more efficient stroke. I watched the first two lessons last night and I figured I better try it out.What is everyone's thoughts on Heart Rate Monitors? I am thinking about getting one so that I can get into correct zone training with my running and biking. Also, what would you suggest? Currently I am looking at the Timex Ironman series.Thanks
Zone trainning is the right path. With so much trainning, you have to make sure you are getting the correct results. So you don't overtrain or waste your time. Efficiency is key. No real opinion on heart rate monitors other than; I agree you need one. Polar seems to be well regarded in the monitor market. The Ironman should be awesome, Just check online to see what others are saying about it.
biceps- This got a little tricky. I tried them one handed but the connection in the middle was cutting into my hand.I did okay right handed but I have a problem with my left wrist that prevents some exercises and it was a no-go.I ended up doing them 2 handed and then switched to dumbells 25 lbs each and doing 12 w/each hand.
You could do rope curls;
Alternating Dumbbell hammer curls would be awesome;
Hammer and rope curls will help strengthen your wrist.:club:

well, i had the stomach flu or something that gave me massive diaarhea for four days, good news is that I lost 3 lbs. Now down to a svelte 204 lbs. lol. was able to bench 235 on the weekend for five reps on the fourth set. did declines (240 on the fourth set) and incline bench as well. I'm mega weak on the inclines, I can only bench 165 on the incline.So, I'm happy i did new weight on the bench and my shoulder isn't sore anymore.

Flying 200's = YESI think these will become a Monday staple until I decide otherwise. I definitely enjoyed the tired/re-energized/slightly more tired/slightly re-energized/exhausted transition. After once around the track I was like, "This won't be bad at all." By the end of the 10th, I was VERY happy to be done. Thanks, Guap. I dig 'em.
I'm glad. I hated training when I ran track, but these were some of the only things that I enjoyed. I think the buildup and warm down for each lap is perfect.Let me know how the short interval sprints go whenever you decide to throw those in.
well, i had the stomach flu or something that gave me massive diaarhea for four days, good news is that I lost 3 lbs. Now down to a svelte 204 lbs. lol. was able to bench 235 on the weekend for five reps on the fourth set. did declines (240 on the fourth set) and incline bench as well. I'm mega weak on the inclines, I can only bench 165 on the incline.So, I'm happy i did new weight on the bench and my shoulder isn't sore anymore.
here's a hint, if you want to get a bigger chest do incline press to build more muscle volume, and i'd say almost everyone is weaker incline than decline
I'm glad. I hated training when I ran track, but these were some of the only things that I enjoyed. I think the buildup and warm down for each lap is perfect.Let me know how the short interval sprints go whenever you decide to throw those in.
I'm thinking I'll switch over after three or four weeks and see how I like the sprints. I'm glad I tried the Flying 200's before the 1's & 2's my buddy suggested. I don't see any way that I could have done that for 15 minutes and it would have really discouraged me.
I'm thinking I'll switch over after three or four weeks and see how I like the sprints. I'm glad I tried the Flying 200's before the 1's & 2's my buddy suggested. I don't see any way that I could have done that for 15 minutes and it would have really discouraged me.
I agree, that is why I suggest those for you. Hard line start/stop sprints are brutal on your body. You do 2-4 and think, "well this isn't so bad", then you do a few more and can't walk for a week. If you are going to seriously start doing this type of running, I would consider going to Fleet Feet or some where like that and getting some hybrid track/running shoes. The difference between that and what you are used to will be night and day.
here's a hint, if you want to get a bigger chest do incline press to build more muscle volume, and i'd say almost everyone is weaker incline than decline
yah, i'm trying. usually i do inclilne dumbbell presses if I can.
You could do rope curls;
Alternating Dumbbell hammer curls would be awesome;
Hammer and rope curls will help strengthen your wrist.:club:
Thanks! I never even heard of rope curls so that will be great on my wrist problem and I used to do hammer curls (years ago) but forgotall about them. Given that I don't have to switch the weights around on the dumbells that wouldn't be a problem either.As for the magnetic dumbells you listed a few pges back, it looked as if those went right onto my existing bars. The thing I hate is to stop during a workout and unscrew the ends, add the weights 4 times to increase the weight. Given that i've spent a fortune on my workoutgym I would only want to add some dumbells at this point if they are cheap. I'll do it eventually but I might just go in increments and try to find used ones or something.I also will give a creatine update. I loaded for 3 days and after avs mentioned it doesn't really add much I just started taking it in the morning. It's about16 days now and I believe that I have just started noticing the difference especially in my arms. It's not anything major or anything but I can "feel" a difference and feel and look a tiny more pumped at this point.

Squats5x955x1153x5x145Overhead5x455x652x5x804x80Power Cleans5x805x1003x5x110Abs (Janda situps)3x12Felt good about the Power Cleans, I think my form was good throughout, they're definitely tough.

Hi gooch. I am going to have to very respectively disagree. I present Belail's through explanation;"The existence of the so-called "upper", "lower", "inner" and "outer" pectorals along with the assertion that it is possible to isolate one or more of these to the relative exclusion of the others in training, are among the most firmly entrenched myths in Strength Training and Bodybuilding circles. In fact none of these truly exist as either separate and distinct muscles or regions in a functional sense. Even though it could be argued that there appears to be a structural distinction between the upper and lower pectorals (and some anatomy texts do in fact support this distinction though not all do) because the pectoralis-major does originate from both the sternum and the proximal or sternal half of the clavicle along it’s anterior surface (it also has connections to the cartilages of all the true ribs with the frequent exception of the first and seventh, and to the Aponeurosis of the external oblique muscle), this is considered to be a common (though extensive) origin in terms of the mechanical function of the muscle. Thus the pectoralis-major is in fact for all practical purposes one continuous muscle with a common origin and insertion, and functions as a single force-producing unit. The terms upper, lower, inner and outer are imprecise and relevant only in order to make a vague subjective distinction between relative portions of the same muscle for descriptive purposes. They are vague and imprecise terms because there is no clearly delineated or universally defined border between them.Further it is not physically possible either in theory or practice to contract one region of a single muscle to the exclusion of another region or regions (as a Biomechanics Professor of mine once demonstrated to a bunch of us smart-ass know-it-all’s taking his course, using EMG analysis). When a muscle contracts it does so in a linear fashion by simultaneously reducing the length of its constituent fibers and thus its overall length from origin to insertion. Even where a single muscle is separated into multiple functional units that are clearly defined such as the triceps (which are referred to as “heads” by Anatomists and Biomechanists), because they share a common point of insertion in order for one head to shorten all must shorten. This only makes sense if you think about it because otherwise there would be “slack” in one when the other shortened, which as we know does not occur. Note that there are some special cases where one head of a muscle must actually lengthen when the other shortens (e.g. the posterior head of the deltoid in relation to the anterior head during the positive stroke of fly’s), the point however is that even in these special cases there is no “slack” because there is in fact contractile activity (whether concentric or eccentric) throughout the muscle.That is not to say however, that all fibers in different areas, or heads are necessarily shortened to the same degree during a particular movement. Depending on the shape of the muscle, the joint geometry involved, and the specific movement being performed, fibers in one area of a muscle or head may be required to shorten more or less than in others (or even to lengthen) in order to complete the required movement. For example during a decline fly though muscle fibers in all regions of the pectoralis-major must shorten as the upper arm is drawn towards the median plane of the body, because of the angle of the arm in relation to the trunk the fibers in what we commonly refer to as the lower pecs will have shortened by a greater percentage of their overall length than those in the upper region of the muscle by the completion of the movement. Conversely when performing an incline fly there is greater shortening in the fibers towards the upper portion of the muscle than in the lower.Many proponents of the so-called “isolation” approach to training claim that this proportionally greater shortening of the fibers equates to greater tension in the “target” region than in others, and therefore stimulates greater adaptation; but this is completely at odds with the cross-bridge model of muscle contraction which clearly shows that as fiber length decreases tension also declines due to increasing overlap and interference in the area of the cross-bridges. Some also contend that the fibers called upon to shorten to a greater degree tend to fatigue faster than others and that therefore there is greater overall fiber recruitment in the region where this occurs, and thus a greater stimulus to growth; but there is no evidence to suggest that a fiber fatigues faster in one position than in another in relation to other fibers in the same muscle. In fact it has been shown that Time Under Tension (TUT) is the determining factor in fatigue and not fiber length. In fact fiber recruitment tends to increase in a very uniform fashion throughout an entire muscle as fatigue sets in.The ability to “isolate” a head, or region of a muscle to the exclusion of others by performing a particular movement, or by limiting movement to a particular plane and thus develop it to a greater degree, is a myth created by people who wish to appear more knowledgeable than they are, and has been perpetuated by trade magazines and parroted throughout gyms everywhere. It is pure non-sense and completely ignores the applicable elements of physiology, anatomy, and physics in particular. Quite simply the science does not support it, and in most cases is completely at odds with the idea.Regardless of the science however, many people will remain firmly convinced that muscle isolation is a reality because they can “feel” different movements more in one region of a muscle than in others. This I do not dispute, nor does science. There is in fact differentiated neural feedback from motor units depending on the relative length of the component fibers, and this feedback tends to be (or is interpreted by the brain as) more intense when the fibers in question are either shortened (contracted) or lengthened (stretched) in the extreme. However this has to do with proprioception (the ability to sense the orientation and relative position of your body in space by interpreting neural feedback related to muscle fiber length and joint position) and not tension, fatigue, or level of fiber recruitment. Unfortunately it has been seized upon and offered up as “evidence” by those looking to support their ideas by any means available.Muscle shape is a function of genetics and degree of overall development. As you develop a muscle towards its potential, it does change in appearance (generally for the better) but always within the parameters defined by its inherent shape. A person who tends to have proportionately more mass towards the upper, lower, inner or outer region of his or her pectoralis-major will always have that tendency, though it may be more or less apparent at various stages in their development, and in most cases appears less pronounced as overall development proceeds. That is not to say that training a muscle group from multiple angles is totally without value. In fact we know that even subtly different movements can elicit varying levels of fiber recruitment within a muscle in an overall sense (i.e. in terms of the percentage of total available fibers) due to differences in joint mechanics, and neural activation patterns, as well as varying involvement of synergistic and antagonistic muscle groups involved. So by all means experiment with different angles in your training, but don’t expect to be able to correct so-called “unbalanced” muscles this way, or to target specific areas of a particular muscle. Work to develop each of your muscles as completely as possible and shape will take care of itself. If you want to worry about “shaping” you should pay more attention to the balance between different muscle groups and work to bring up any weak groups you may have in relation to the rest of your physique."So by Doing a incline exercise you enable the extremely strong front deltoids better ability to assist the Pectoralis major. That works the muscle less and creates less volume in the Pectoralis major. The best exercises for increasing volume/mass in the Pectoralis major are;Dumbell Chest Press flatBarbell Bench Press FlatDips.
Thanks! I never even heard of rope curls so that will be great on my wrist problem and I used to do hammer curls (years ago) but forgotall about them. Given that I don't have to switch the weights around on the dumbells that wouldn't be a problem either.As for the magnetic dumbells you listed a few pges back, it looked as if those went right onto my existing bars. The thing I hate is to stop during a workout and unscrew the ends, add the weights 4 times to increase the weight. Given that i've spent a fortune on my workoutgym I would only want to add some dumbells at this point if they are cheap. I'll do it eventually but I might just go in increments and try to find used ones or something.I also will give a creatine update. I loaded for 3 days and after avs mentioned it doesn't really add much I just started taking it in the morning. It's about16 days now and I believe that I have just started noticing the difference especially in my arms. It's not anything major or anything but I can "feel" a difference and feel and look a tiny more pumped at this point.
Again, I am very glad I could help! I have a couple of other ideas/thoughts/answersThe Magnetic dumbbell suggestion pertains to two things. 1. If you purchase a set of fixed dumbbells. they will enable you to save money by not needing to buy a dumbbell every 5 pounds. you could get a set of 10's, 20's, 30's 40's, 50's, etc..... and add the 5lb magnet set to the ends to get 15's, 25's, 35's, 45's, 55's.....they are quickly and easily attached to fixed dumbbells. 2. I also suggestd the weight stack magnet so you can go up in smaller increments on your machine..It is easier to make small jumps in weight to progress up in weight. that is called micro loading. micro loading just makes it smother and easier to progress to new weights.If you want to micro load on a plate loaded dumbbell you would just use light plates. Sounds like you have threaded dumbbells. Threaded Dumbbells are a b.itch to change.You can also do rope curls one handed. It can also be fun and good for your grip and wrist to grab both ropes in one hand when doing one handed rope curls. a wide grip challenges the wrist and forearms.You can also go to the hardware store or your garage and do some sledge hammer leveraging for your wrist and foreams. here is some good slegde leveraging info; http://www.straighttothebar.com/2009/02/ha...nto_the_wr.html if you have standard plates you could also use this; http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/...asp?number=1255 or http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/...asp?number=1260Wise choice to not load. Saves money and butt hurt. No to mention the excessive calories you ingest if you are maximizing the uptake process, which you really should do if you are loading or the butt will really explode with the hurt.Keep it UP!
Tons of suggestions for me.
Thanks, dude. That's a lot of stuff so it will take me a while to sort through and decide what I like. I appreciate all the suggestions, though. I really need to start compiling a list of these posts with stuff I'd like to try. Last night I just focused on doing push ups because I wasn't feeling particularly energetic. I'm interested to see how I progress with Hindu push ups, because right now I just feel really awkward and can only do like eight at a time. I'm sure it will take me a while to get the form down. Tonight I'm planning on doing an hour-long (or more depending on how I feel) run at a pretty slow speed. For some reason I'm not at all worried about the physical part of the run, but I get pretty bored after like 30 minutes if I'm not running "hard".
I really need to start compiling a list of these posts with stuff I'd like to try.
I've printed a few out, cut past a couple into word. But I am afraid as this thread grows a lot of good stuff will be lost.Last night went on a two mile walk with the family to the park and back. It was a good post-killer workout from the weekend exercise to stretch out all my muscles. Day two of my workout tonight.
I've printed a few out, cut past a couple into word. But I am afraid as this thread grows a lot of good stuff will be lost.
I'm in the process of going back a few pages and doing the same thing.
Nice job on the race! It always feels good to have the hard work pay off.
Who's awesome? Dolfan that's who is AWesome! Congratulations! Your nephew is fast! Get that kid in track. Keep up the excellent work>fwiw, I really like the fitness path you are on.
...and since I'm going back looking for old stuff I just realized I missed these last week. Thanks, guys. It's appreciated. And my nephew runs indoor/outdoor track and cross country in high school. He's going to be a junior next year and he's just stupid-good at it.

Ran for 60 minutes last night. Got about 6.9 miles in. I'm pretty sure this was the first time I've ever run for that long so I took it really easy. I think I'll keep doing this once a week and step it up just a bit each time because I definitely wasn't exhausted by the end of it. My legs and feet are pretty sore today, though. I also scoped out the stair situation at the stadium here. It's looking like I may end up doing some trespassing if I'm dead set on using the stadium on campus. I got there a bit after 7pm and there were a few high school football teams practicing on the field and I saw one large sign that said "Keep Out!" It was easy to get into the stadium, but I'm thinking those entries probably get locked up after practice ends. I figure I'll show up on Friday and see what happens. The half marathon I was considering running is a lot sooner than I had anticipated - as in Sunday. I'm only 50/50 on whether I'll end up doing it now. It's two hours away from here, so I'd have to drive the two hours on Saturday, run the race on Sunday morning, and then drive the two hours home (stay free overnight with family). That's not sounding too appealing at the moment, but we'll see.

Got is some swimming last night. This was the first night that I was using the new drills that I am trying to learn from the videos. It was a really good session, I ended up spending about 30 minutes in the pool and feel that if I keep working at this i will have a very effecient stroke. With my old freestyle it took me 21 strokes to get across the pool. Working with the drills, at the end I was making it across in just 12. So that was good. I need to watch it again to see areas that I can improve on and also to make sure i was doing everything correctly. The guy says that it should take a few months to get everything completely streamlined, so hopefully by the time the next sprint comes along I will have it down.Softball tonight and then I will try to get in a few miles running tomorrow.

how can you workout so much during the day? I'm envious. r u a professional poker player?
I like to spend as much time enjoying life as possible. Thurs 6-4Squat5x5x260OH Press5x5x180 (New PR for reps/in gen, not sure that all of them were "**** the hammer-clean". Def had some knee action involved. Felt near dead on my last 2 sets)DL5x5x355Weighted Pullups5x17.5lb5x32.5lb5x47.5lbDid some prone bridges and general stretching to finishJJ @ 6