Wine Thread

Well, I wouldn't turn down a little tasting session.But I generally am not a big fan of old world style wines. The oak and earthy stuff just doesn't really do it for me.
that's a new world hallmark, not an old world. what french wines have you had in the past that haven't done it for you, and have you had any that have done it for you?
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's a new world hallmark, not an old world. what french wines have you had in the past that haven't done it for you, and have you had any that have done it for you?
Not sure what French wines I've really had. I had a Reisling once, that was pretty good. But it's not just the oak, even though I'm pretty sure oak doesn't really dominate in new vs old. Aren't they used pretty commonly in both?.. It's also the other earthy things.
Not sure what French wines I've really had. I had a Reisling once, that was pretty good. But it's not just the oak, even though I'm pretty sure oak doesn't really dominate in new vs old. Aren't they used pretty commonly in both?.. It's also the other earthy things.
there is a big difference in oak flavors between new and old world. a characteristic of new world wines is the prodigious use of oak which will obviously give off oaky notes along with more vanilla and dark coffee tones, but mostly vanilla and oak. oak is obviously used in old world wines, but nowhere to the extent that it is in new world wines. In new world wines, oak chips will be thrown into the maceration process to add to the flavors and sometimes to such an extent where wines will be dominated by oak notes
steve, did you pick up any of teh bertagna's that I rec'dI wish I had been able to get my hands on the cyrus, but there were only like 3 bottles left and my other coworkers picked them off before I could get my hands on them. There was also a bunch of other stuff that was on sale taht I didn't realize, so I missed out on a screamer of a value in the 01 baroli barolo that was marked down from 55-60 all the way down to 26 :D . I love barolos and it's been a while since I've had one. I just grabbed my 05 caragasacchi PN that I put in teh back and will be having that tonight, was 40, I got it for 16 :club: steve, that groth is a good deal, but at my store, we had 3 mags of the 03 axios for 125 also. There should be 1 or 2 in orland park if it's near you(and if the guy that cleaned my store out of them doesn't get them from there too like he will be for the lake zurich store)I haven't had the markham yet, but I love petite sirah and haven't had one with some age on it, so I'm looking forward to it. kurt and steve, check out the 04 Beaurenard Cotes Du Rhone Rasteau that's on sale for 11 or 12 now. I just tried it today and is very good, but also very old world. I'll put my notes up on it in a bit
I did get one of the Bertagna's and 2 or the Cotes Du Rhone Rasteau.Saturday night out at a dinner where I wasn't choosing the wine we had a couple of bottles of SUXX, a Australian Shiraz, I am guessing it wasn't to expensive. I was impressed, and it was kind of a fun bottle w/out a furry little animal on it.
I'll also be drinking a lot more whites because of this, and will check out a bunch of other stuff that I probably wouldn't normally check out. This year I want to be a lot more experimental in what I drink while also keeping up my normal backbone of the three big french red regions in bordeaux, burgundy, and the rhone. I'm sure that I will certainly come across some real crap, as I'm gonna try to buy as many under 15 wines as possible. I need to relate to my customers more because I normally drink stuff that is between 30-60 a bottle. But, after doing all of this for 6 weeks, I'm gonna reward myself with a 97 casanova di neri cerratalto(jeff, I'm sure you'll want to get in on that on when I pop it), cause I like to celebrate with brunello and bordeauxCount me in So here are some more TNs of some stuff that I think is worth checking out that I've had since the 1st:
  • [*]
2005 Van Duzer Pinot Noir - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (1/7/2008)Van Duzer is a solid pour
There were a few others but you get the point.So go out and buy buy buy and report back:)Huskers20
Couldn't go on a buying binge. Spending wine $$ on couches and TV's for the new casa.That's ok, I will just drink yours :club:
I did get one of the Bertagna's and 2 or the Cotes Du Rhone Rasteau.Saturday night out at a dinner where I wasn't choosing the wine we had a couple of bottles of SUXX, a Australian Shiraz, I am guessing it wasn't to expensive. I was impressed, and it was kind of a fun bottle w/out a furry little animal on it.
steve, which bertagna did you pick up. PM me when you plan on popping it and I'll also provide some other burgsalso, if you want to start checking out aussie wines I can also help out as I'm a big fan of them(yes I know it seems contradictory to my old world palate, but I love fruit bombs every now and then)
I had that Via Terra 06 Grenacha that you recommended. That was the one right?Was the best one I've had so far.
since you liked that, you really should check out the beaurenard rasteau CdR that I posted. They are both made from teh same grape, and general climate regions. You should also check out any spanish garanchas like Las RocasHere are my notes from another cotes-du-rhone that I'm having right now:
  • 2005 Domaine Charvin Côtes du Rhône (Le Poutet) - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône (1/14/2008)nose: nice grenache nose. spices, underbrush, black cherry, berries, and some licorice hintstaste: nice full mouth. spice, licorice, cracked pepper, and some gameyness to it too. overall: really nice. big and full on the mouth with a really nice lasting finish. a bit thin on the mid palate and not extremely complex, but this is very good. extremely enjoyable and has very good structure too (89 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

I've got myself 4 bottles of Foxbrook :club: 2 cabernet sauvignons, 1 shiraz, and 1 merlot + a bottle of andre for under $12.I didn't think the Foxbrook was terrible, so I'm set for awhile until I get some mobnies hahahahaI had a glass from a bottle of root-1 and it tasted like god compared to the foxbrook crap. This will help me appreciate better wine even more in the future!What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

I remember why I don't drink French or Italian wines, all the names sound the same!!!
pousse, lol. that's why lefty and I are here. both of us will gladly get you into italy and france(I'm more and more getting pretty good at the rhone, so I can defnitely lean you towards good rhone and burgundy wines(this one can be a real land mine), and Lefty and I will gladly guide you through bordeaux). Trust me, it's worth getting into french wines. I've had precious few california wines that bring what great french wines bring. It takes some getting used to, but french wines can and will bring you much joy. My boss and I were talking about french wines today(of the three major regions) and bordeaux takes a trained palate, rhone is an aquired taste, and burgundy is a very aquired taste and can be a big ole land mine
I've got myself 4 bottles of Foxbrook :club: 2 cabernet sauvignons, 1 shiraz, and 1 merlot + a bottle of andre for under $12.I didn't think the Foxbrook was terrible, so I'm set for awhile until I get some mobnies hahahahaI had a glass from a bottle of root-1 and it tasted like god compared to the foxbrook crap. This will help me appreciate better wine even more in the future!What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
try out a bunch of the various penfolds wines. They are very consistent and are very good at all levels. You should also give the Greg Norman wines a go. Again, they are consistent and it's rare that you find a bad norman wine
pousse, lol. that's why lefty and I are here. both of us will gladly get you into italy and france(I'm more and more getting pretty good at the rhone, so I can defnitely lean you towards good rhone and burgundy wines(this one can be a real land mine), and Lefty and I will gladly guide you through bordeaux). Trust me, it's worth getting into french wines. I've had precious few california wines that bring what great french wines bring. It takes some getting used to, but french wines can and will bring you much joy. My boss and I were talking about french wines today(of the three major regions) and bordeaux takes a trained palate, rhone is an aquired taste, and burgundy is a very aquired taste and can be a big ole land mine try out a bunch of the various penfolds wines. They are very consistent and are very good at all levels. You should also give the Greg Norman wines a go. Again, they are consistent and it's rare that you find a bad norman wine
As I've said before when I get to a point where I am going to rebuild my wine stash I will be bothering you non-stop :club: But when I read some of your recomendations all the names are so similiar.Penfolds FTW. I love their wines. I actaully like their Bin 28 better than Bin 128 which is more expensive. Bin 2 is pretty good. Steer clear of the $6 Koonuga, its rot gut.One day I will try the Grange, One day. Have you had it Keieth or Lefty?
One day I will try the Grange, One day. Have you had it Keieth or Lefty?
i wish, though I've splashed out enough to get top bordeauxs and burgs, I have yet pulled the trigger on grange. I think at this point I'd rather make sure i get an aged grange then a young n'
i wish, though I've splashed out enough to get top bordeauxs and burgs, I have yet pulled the trigger on grange. I think at this point I'd rather make sure i get an aged grange then a young n'
Keith,I need a good date wine for dinner as well as good dessert wine. I'll probably be cooking (ordering out to a nice restaurant) any suggestions?
Keith,I need a good date wine for dinner as well as good dessert wine. I'll probably be cooking (ordering out to a nice restaurant) any suggestions?
james, first off, what are you cooking?as far as dessert wines goes, have you had any in the past, and how familiair with wine is she.also(though I know this is probably a pointless question knowing your balla status) how much do you want to spend on either the food wine or dessert wine( of course, this answer plays into how well she knows wine)
Keith,It is the 2004 Domaine Bertagna-- Vosnee Romanee -- Premier Cru.....Thoughts?And yes I will save this one then:)....But shouldn't we wait a while?Steve
mmmmmmmmmmm, I love beaux monts wines. we can wait a while, but, I don't know how much full on benefit a lot of 04s are gonna get at this point. Next year could be better then this year, but IMO that vintage for the most part(outside of the really big prem crus and grand crus) is an early drinking vintage

Went out to Durants the other night (downtown PHX) and ordered a bottle of Far Niente the waiter as he is suppossed to upsaled me to a bottle a Flowers Chard. I had never tried it and decieded to give it a shot. Very good one of the better chards I had ever had. Just wanted to know what you knew about it KDawg.Also had a bottle of silver oak cab one of my favs

Goin cheap tonight!Just poured a glass of 2004 Rosemount Estate Diamond Label Shiraz. I just had dinner (I poured it to drink with dinner, but was so thirsty when I ate I decided that 3 glasses of water would be better and I'd drink the wine after) and ate some spicy food, so I'm getting nothing from this wine right now.2nd sip....black cherry and black pepper.I'll just update my bottle report as the night goes on. (I opened one, and have a second on standby, so this could get interesting since I'm the only one drinking it and I have nothing better to do tonight and no reason to be up early tomorrow. Woot!)1230pm: This bottle is totally blah, and a bunch of residue @ the bottom of the glass011608_0020.jpgWhatever, the second bottle has been open for 2 hours, and I'm drinking it.I'm also never buying it again. BOOOORING. IIRC it was better when it was super young.

Went out to Durants the other night (downtown PHX) and ordered a bottle of Far Niente the waiter as he is suppossed to upsaled me to a bottle a Flowers Chard. I had never tried it and decieded to give it a shot. Very good one of the better chards I had ever had. Just wanted to know what you knew about it KDawg.Also had a bottle of silver oak cab one of my favs
i'd rather have flowers then far niente, but both are over rated. What you should look out for is the Newton Unfiltered Chard. That is serious chardonnay and is a perfect chard for aging toowhich silver oak, the napa or alex? either way, don't waste your money on silver joke in general, there's tons of other california stuff that costs as much or less then silver joke and puts it to shame
One day I will try the Grange, One day. Have you had it Keieth or Lefty?
Nope. I have only dabbled in the cheaper Aussie wines. I remember early on I drank a lot of Jacob's Creek. Was never a fan of the Rosemount. Would like to try it.
The fiance has been drinking Kim Newton Char and we both like the Sav Blanc. Both are NZ and very affordable.
i'd rather have flowers then far niente, but both are over rated. What you should look out for is the Newton Unfiltered Chard. That is serious chardonnay and is a perfect chard for aging toowhich silver oak, the napa or alex? either way, don't waste your money on silver joke in general, there's tons of other california stuff that costs as much or less then silver joke and puts it to shame
Do you guys sell the Newton? I am still looking for some Char for the wedding. I am still a big fan of the Napa...have a vertical from 91-01. Not so much of the Alex. I know they sold recently, so I don't know of the recent vintages. Obv there are much more affordable cali cabs.
The fiance has been drinking Kim Newton Char and we both like the Sav Blanc. Both are NZ and very affordable.Do you guys sell the Newton? I am still looking for some Char for the wedding. I am still a big fan of the Napa...have a vertical from 91-01. Not so much of the Alex. I know they sold recently, so I don't know of the recent vintages. Obv there are much more affordable cali cabs.
jeff, when the new matua paratai comes out, check that out. It's matua's higher end sauvignon blanc, but it's still only like 18-23 a bottle and it's usually awesomewe do sell the newton, but it's 46 a bottle and it comes in 6 packs, so that's gonna be a bit much IMO for a wedding. I forget which landmark is around 20-25 a bottle, but both of the landmarks are really good. If you want something that is more like 10 a bottle, check out this one:

man, it's been a long time since I've had a barbera, I forgot how good the good ones can be. I'm really enjoying this, and I really shouldn't be surprised as La Spinetta(Rivetti) just makes some of the best wines in the world. here are my notes:

• 2004 La Spinetta (Rivetti) Barbera d'Asti Cà di Pian - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Barbera d'Asti (1/16/2008)decanted for 1 1/2 hoursreal dark red/garnet colornose: real deep sumptuous nose. spice, dark cherry, blackberry, and a little earth in there to ground this. taste: good mouth feel to this. Blackberry mostly with some spice on the back endoverall: this is some really good stuff. the nose is real deep and big. The mouth isn't as good as the nose, but, the mouth works very well and you can really taste the fruit and spice. good grip and a very nice finish. again, this is really good stuff (90 pts.)

Being a Wed. I will go w/ a under $20 and add one to one of Keith's rec's.Had a 2005 Lyeth Meritage.About a $13 bottle that is a great bottle for the price in my opinion, it is California, so we know one person who might not like it:)......but...good inexpensive bottle. Very nice blend for the price.Also, Keith or anyone if you know anything about this....I was told by somebody at a wine store that the front of their bottle depicts one of the Silver Oak's past wineries....as maybe they took over something or at least a tasting room of their's? Anyone know anything or am I off my rocker?:club: I know too easy of an answer....but....

Being a Wed. I will go w/ a under $20 and add one to one of Keith's rec's.Had a 2005 Lyeth Meritage.About a $13 bottle that is a great bottle for the price in my opinion, it is California, so we know one person who might not like it:)......but...good inexpensive bottle. Very nice blend for the price.Also, Keith or anyone if you know anything about this....I was told by somebody at a wine store that the front of their bottle depicts one of the Silver Oak's past wineries....as maybe they took over something or at least a tasting room of their's? Anyone know anything or am I off my rocker? :club: I know too easy of an answer....but....
pffft, I don't dislike cali wines at all, I just don't like stereotypical cali wines that only bring oak and vanilla that are obscenely overpriced :D . my store has this, and since I'm on a more affordable kick, I'll check this one out and post up some notes