interesting hand. call or fold?

If I'm at the WSOP and on the first hand everyone on the table goes all in and I have AA... Just kiddingShould I call? Or fold?I am dealer, I look down and see KK on the 4th or 5th hand of the game (4000 starting chips). Limp, limp, limp goes the betters. Not wanting the A3 limpers to suck out on me I raised to 200 (4x the big blind). 1-3 people called me, I forget. The flop comes up 9 7 5 rainbow, the first to act bets 100, everyone folded to me, I raised to 500 (pot sized or so), the raiser called. Turn comes up another 5, I'm worried a little bit. He just checks, which could mean he's slowplaying trips so I didn't want to get trapped and I checked also.River comes up a 3. The other guy leads off with a 1500 chip bet. Was he slowplaying his trip 5's and now trying to capitalize? Or was he trying to push me off the pot hoping I'd be afraid he had 5's?I called him and before I reveal what he had I wanted some people to guess if my call was a good call and what he might have had, I don't want to pollute the thinking. I think I covered all the possible hands in my head. To make it clear it was the 4th or 5th hand of the game and the player was an unknown. So was I, it was the 1st pot we both played.

The pre flop raise was good., You think he stayed in with ace 5?.. i sure dont., and thats why i would have bet the turn, After he checked, i would have thrown out another 500 bet.Andthen he folds, andyour amazing

I'm not too good at these sort of things, but it smells like a set to me - nines or sevens, then the turn he hit his boat and tried to trap you. You checked behind him so he had to lead out to try and extract something from you on the river.That being said, it's hard to throw away a huge overpair, but yeah, you have to bet the turn and if he comes back over the top, then you can probably throw it away without worrying about it.

I can't see anyone at a large tournament calling your $500 raise after the flop with bottom pair (are we at a tournament or is this a home game?) The second 5 on the turn was a good card for you, so you should have bet out again in my opinion. The river is not a scare card either, unless you are playing with savages who like to chase the low end of a straight against you. You did nothing throught the hand past the flop to give you any info about whether your hand is good or not. Bad playing in my opinion. Calling is correct here though over folding, and based on my perception at the table throughout, I might even push all-in here (but most likely not). :wink:

I would call this. Also, I'll give your opponent the benefit of the doubt and say he had 99. checked the boat when he got it, trying to entice you.
Top set seems very odd since he wa sfirst to act and bet out?.. mindu it was a small bet non the less., but i dont know if you can pin him on top set.
I would call this. Also, I'll give your opponent the benefit of the doubt and say he had 99. checked the boat when he got it, trying to entice you.
Top set seems very odd since he wa sfirst to act and bet out?.. mindu it was a small bet non the less., but i dont know if you can pin him on top set.
Sure, he led out, but for 1/4 the pot (if the OP made a pot sized raise of 500 after the lead out). Also 1/2 the size of the preflop bet. Sounds like a weak lead to me hoping to get raised, the check raise the turn. He filled, but got no love, so he had to bang the pot on the river.Even with that, I would have played this exactly the same as the OP until the turn, then I would have made a 1k-1500 bet there.
I would bet he had  A-9 suited here and figured the top pair with top kicker beat u
Yep, sort of. T9s so he had an inside straight draw plus top pair and a decent kicker)That's exactly what I thought (A9). When he limped in I didn't figure he had a pocket pair (the players in this game are fairly skillful). Yet when he called my 200 he must have had SOME good cards. The 100 bet on the 975 flop was kind of weak so I didn't figure him on two pair, and when he called the 500 I didn't figure he had bottom pair. I got chicken legs on the turn and should have bet, that I'll admit was a mistake. The river bet (pot sized) I figured he was trying to get me out. Top pair, top kicker made sense, I was wrong about that but inside straight draw sort of makes up for the lower kicker.I was up to about 6700 or so after the first hand I played. It sort of stagnated after that, the high point in the tourney was 7600 for me and then I got blinded out in 5th place for $60 (double the buyin).

He limped in with aces. He checks on the turn to see if any of the cards on the board were good for you, which you basically yelled out "none of these cards help me" with your follow up check.RazorEdit-Oh yeah, with the info you had after the play of the hand, I probably would have called too. But work on getting info off the players so you don't have to wonder so much. I think his check got info from you, but your check got absolutely no info from him.

I'll respond even though I know we wont get an answer about what he had. 1) As everyone said, you made a mistake not betting the turn. What makes you raise the flop and check the turn? If youa re scared he led out with a 5 and then called your big raise with bottom pair, why are you playing NL tournaments?2) As 1 other person said, you made a mistake not reraising all in.He had A9 or 97 suited, maybe even T9 or 98 suited, he missed his str8 and bet out with top pair. The turn 5 secured you the hand.But if my only options here are call/fold, I call.

2) As 1 other person said, you made a mistake not reraising all in.I hope u were using this comment as a mistake?If you think pushing all in at any point on this hand is correct, we'll you need to start playing scrabble and not poker.

I'll respond even though I know we wont get an answer about what he had. 1) As everyone said, you made a mistake not betting the turn. What makes you raise the flop and check the turn? If youa re scared he led out with a 5 and then called your big raise with bottom pair, why are you playing NL tournaments?2) As 1 other person said, you made a mistake not reraising all in.He had A9 or 97 suited, maybe even T9 or 98 suited, he missed his str8 and bet out with top pair. The turn 5 secured you the hand.But if my only options here are call/fold, I call.
T9s is what he had. The check on the turn was a bit chicken shit, but I got burned on my 7th hand the previous tourney and wasn't in a mood to take chances 10 minutes into the game when I could see another card for free. Plus it was the first time playing against each other and I wasn't willing to wager my evening o' fun on him not having A5s or something and being a bad player. The check on the 5 turned out well enough anyway because he would have folded had I bet on the turn and I wouldn't have gotten his 1500 on the river.
]2) As 1 other person said, you made a mistake not reraising all in. This is the dumbest move you could possibly do. You will gain nothing from this and only put your remaining chips at stake. You will only get called here if he has you beat. If youve got him beat, if he is any decent player, he will fold to your all in reraise therefore you gain nothing by moving all in. A call will win you the same amount of chips without putting your remaining chips at risk.
2) As 1 other person said, you made a mistake not reraising all in.I hope u were using this comment as a mistake?If you think pushing all in at any point on this hand is correct, we'll you need to start playing scrabble and not poker.
This brings up an interesting point. If he'd have pushed all-in on the river instead of 1500 should I have still called or folded? Obviously I won this one, but would it have been the right play in the long run?
This brings up an interesting point. If he'd have pushed all-in on the river instead of 1500 should I have still called or folded? Obviously I won this one, but would it have been the right play in the long run?
Simple Ben my man.. If he pushed all in on the river.. You sit there and think../ crap., i could have him beat, but can i really call this all in?.. No of course not., and u make a mental not of how poor of a player this fellow is, and you'll burn him soon enough.
]2) As 1 other person said' date=' you made a mistake not reraising all in. [/quote']This is the dumbest move you could possibly do. You will gain nothing from this and only put your remaining chips at stake. You will only get called here if he has you beat. If youve got him beat, if he is any decent player, he will fold to your all in reraise therefore you gain nothing by moving all in. A call will win you the same amount of chips without putting your remaining chips at risk.
As you can all see, I was right in that he had T9s. Now when I tell you to push in here, it's not to try win more chips, it's to make sure that no one at the table thinks you're a chicken sh1t that will be scared with big hands. By moving all in you don't gain more chips, you gain more respect and people will be afraid of you. You are chip leader 4 hands in, and people will be afraid. Sometimes winning more chips is not the goal of an all in move. Royal, maybe you should be playing scrable.
]2) As 1 other person said' date=' you made a mistake not reraising all in. [/quote']This is the dumbest move you could possibly do. You will gain nothing from this and only put your remaining chips at stake. You will only get called here if he has you beat. If youve got him beat' date=' if he is any decent player, he will fold to your all in reraise therefore you gain nothing by moving all in. A call will win you the same amount of chips without putting your remaining chips at risk.[/quote']As you can all see, I was right in that he had T9s. Now when I tell you to push in here, it's not to try win more chips, it's to make sure that no one at the table thinks you're a chicken sh1t that will be scared with big hands. By moving all in you don't gain more chips, you gain more respect and people will be afraid of you. You are chip leader 4 hands in, and people will be afraid. Sometimes winning more chips is not the goal of an all in move. Royal, maybe you should be playing scrable.
Dude. any one can be right when they make posts like:he could A,9 or T9, or even 8,9 or 9, 7. or yadda yadda.. give me a break., I called this hand out first off, that he had the winning hand. thats all you need to know.

And on another note.. You dont get respect at a table when u push all in.. You get semi-decent players who now wait on hands, so they can attack your dumbass. P.S. Chip tricks work better than all-ins :club:

Being scared had more to do with blocking off a Wednesday evening to hang out with my two brothers and play some poker and wanting to play longer than 10 minutes. The previous time I was out in 20 minutes and I wanted to play for awhile and have some fun with the boys. My wife doesn't let me play THAT much so I like to savor the games I can play... :club: