How Do I Make Money With Ak Offsuit?

I play small stakes NL hold-em online and track my results with pokertracker. For my last 10k hands I have won about 4.5 BB/hr and most of my profits have come from AA, KK, QQ,and AK suited...but AK ofsuit is only a break even hand for me. I think that I tend to play it too passively (often limping early) because when I am early and miss the flop I can get away from it pretty easily. I do raise with it in position, but overall I feel that this should be a profitable hand for me. Any ideas?

I play small stakes NL hold-em online and track my results with pokertracker. For my last 10k hands I have won about 4.5 BB/hr and most of my profits have come from AA, KK, QQ,and AK suited...but AK ofsuit is only a break even hand for me. I think that I tend to play it too passively (often limping early) because when I am early and miss the flop I can get away from it pretty easily. I do raise with it in position, but overall I feel that this should be a profitable hand for me. Any ideas?
Limping early is fine, but I'm assuming that you are always just calling a raise when someone is raising after you. Try re-raising once in a while. Only KK and AA have you crushed. If someone calls you (they will call or fold more than another re-raise) play it like AA or KK on the flop, assuming it is rags. if you get a call, you can still get away with it pretty easily. If an A or K hits on the flop or turn (assuming a call to your bet on the flop) then you're still in pretty good shape.Vary your play as well - raise some from early position as well. I'd rather win a small pot with AKo than lose a big one just because I didn't raise due to position concerns.
Someone doesn't like to vary his play.
I play small stakes NL hold-em
There really isn't a need to vary your play. You really should be raising preflop.
I would get more aggressive PF. What kind of limits are you playing?
.25/.50, .50/1, or less commonly 1/2 NL. At these limits I will often get 1 or 2 callers with a standard preflop raise from early position. If I miss the flop I am reluctant to make a pot size bet because it gets quite costly. A smaller continuation bet gets called frequently.
  • 2 weeks later...
Limping early is fine?Don't be silly, raise that shit up PF.
This is true at lower levels, but at higher levels limping with with AK can be a huge +ev play. Lets say you limp UTG, UTG +1. Someone reraises you and you flat call. Lets say the flop comes A high, like A 10 4. People aren't just going to give you credit on a board like that, and you can extract a shit load of money out of a standard multi table player.