Sorry,This will sound like a very dumb question but I usually never play online poker and am slowly getting back into it so... I was wondering what a good average bb/hand ratio is? I usually play live games so I have been keeping track of it based on bb/hour and I was wondering if there is any benefit to keeping track of it per hand instead of hour online. I understand that you are dealt many more hands online in an hour than in a live cash game so... maybe it is a better gauge but I don't understand the true reasoning behind it. Thanks in advance.Jeff

well for online poker we usually do BB/100 hands. The only real reason to do this instead of BB/hour is the number of hands you get dealt at the table can fluctuate and it will not give you accurate data to compare.Some games are tight and you will get dealt 35 hands per hour lets say, then on a weekend there are a bunch of drunks at the table and the dealer has to remind them it is there action you could get 15 hands per hour. Just more percise way of measuring. But I have never heard of someone doing BB/hand

Like I said... I never really have tried to do online seriously, just the occasional attempt at the sunday million or satellites so I have never really kept track of online stats. So, for BB/100... what would be a good average for limit?

What limits of LHE do you play? Also, what site is it on? Also, what is the rake structure?For example, if you were to play 3/6 on AP, anything over 0 is basically destroying that game. The rake is ridiculously high, so your winrate will be lowered. If you're playing something like 30/60 for example, where the rake is tiny compared to the stakes, then anything over 2 BB/100 would be crushing the game.All in all, for LHE, you want to be on the good side of zero. It's a hard game. :)LO8, if you play with bad players, you can probably sustain up to 3 or 4 BB/100 crushing it, but it's not easy, obviously.

i usually play 8-16/10-20 live and over the last year have averaged close to 2bb/hr so i was going to try the same limits online. I will be playing UB and full tilt as those are the only two sites i know how to get money on so... I was figuring anything positive was good(AKA... making money) but i didn't know how to tell if it would be more worth my time to play online or in a live game(and or make all of my stats into one per hour equivalent stat). Also, i have found that omaha 8 games are hard to find online/pretty donkish or uber hard so I dont know if il be playing that online. If i play that it will be at the 4-8/8-16 level and only as a I only play scoops type of player so making 1 to 3 bb/hr or the online equivalent against those type of players is not that hard (seeing as most game i have seen have everyone playing their A2XX like it is the nuts with no low or one low card on the board so... thats a whole different issue). Anyway, thank you for your help. Im still in the early stages of this experiment so... nothing to report so far. only 3 sessions. 1 session of 5/10 on UB + 150ish(15 bb in about 200 hands/3 hrs), 1 session of 4-8 O8 - 40 (2 hrs/forgot to check the hand stat before i left after both my high and low got quartered... 4 people... same hand... what the hell are those odds????) and a break even 8-16 holdem game after less than 40 hands so... I still have some time before i see my true stats so... Anyway, thanks for the insight.

Online is far more profitable than live, simply because you get more hands per hour, even just single tabling.Be very careful thinking you're gonna jump right into 8/16 and 10/20 online, and not get killed. If you think they'll play anything like the live games you're used to, you'll be in for a suprises. The mid limit games at most sites are pretty tough, and will be significantly tougher than live play.

Online is far more profitable than live, simply because you get more hands per hour, even just single tabling.Be very careful thinking you're gonna jump right into 8/16 and 10/20 online, and not get killed. If you think they'll play anything like the live games you're used to, you'll be in for a suprises. The mid limit games at most sites are pretty tough, and will be significantly tougher than live play.
from what i saw, they're tougher than the 100/200 games back in the golden days
from what i saw, they're tougher than the 100/200 games back in the golden days
I'm finding the 10/20 to 30/60 limit games online to be softer than some of the lower limits such as 3/6 and 5/10. There are more players gambling in the higher limits and the rake isn't as large an issue.That being said to beat those games you had better be a complete player who is comfortable in games with idiots in them as well as games that are very tight and are usually blind vs perflop raiser. It is possible to beat limit holdem over the midlimits for well over 2 BB/100 and that would be considered crushing them.

you can table select really well and do better than 2BB/100 playing 1 or 2 tables at a time, but the opportunity cost is so high for those capable that you'll seldom see it over any sustained period of time.either the people capable of doing it will play bigger; or play many more tables so that their winrate drops, but hourly rate dramatically increases.