Under The Gun

I've been noticing that many people under the gun have been going all in deep in tournys to steal the blinds. Past couple of months I've seen about 48 of them called with very poor starting hands. Just wondering how effective this might be? I noticed about 48 called but many uncalled.

UTG is the new steal position.It's a factor of a few things.First of all, UTG raises tend to get the most respect, simply based on the fact that everyone has read that you need a strong hand to raise UTG.Meanwhile, everyone knows that button raises mean shit, so everyone and their mother play back at button raises. Or, they'll call shoves a lot lighter.

I admire the people that can raise complete trash UTG, i feel slightly scared raisng AK UTG late in a tournament, never mind 43 like some people do.

UTG is the new steal position.It's a factor of a few things.First of all, UTG raises tend to get the most respect, simply based on the fact that everyone has read that you need a strong hand to raise UTG.Meanwhile, everyone knows that button raises mean shit, so everyone and their mother play back at button raises. Or, they'll call shoves a lot lighter.
I think this is one of the most interesting things about poker, that play always changing in feedback loops. One strategy becomes optimal given current conditions, everyone gravitates towards that strategy, which creates new conditions, and new strategies which work in those new conditions. I think of it as a dynamical system, with the predomincance of certain plays (e.g. raising from the button) as attractors. I think it would be really interesting to model a large MTT this way... anyone looking for a Ph.D. thesis topic in math??
QFT. I may be crazy (thought I thought I was when the UTG steal became fashionable) but 1 - I seem to be seeing UTG steals played back at a lot more2 - The RESTEAL from UTG + 1 w/ a weak hand specifically seems to be coming out a lot more, in higher limit tournaments, because of all the above information.

Under the gun is a position that commands a lot of respect from other players. The majority of players believe a raise UTG means a solid hand. That being said, pushing all-in with nothing UTG is crazy at a full table. There are so many possible hands that can call you, it is better to let it go, even short-stacked. On the other hand, raising with trash UTG can prove very effective when wanting to isolate one or two players. If you think you can outplay one or two opponents after the flop, raising UTG isn't always a bad idea. Don't forget the fact that you'll have position on the blinds.Secondly, if you raise UTG with garbage, you get a caller and a re-raiser for instance, you might have pot odds to call with ATC thanks to your initial raise. A lot of raising UTG has to do with the opponents you're playing and knowing if they are loose/tight, passive/aggressive. You can't just look at raising UTG and examine how effective it is without knowing all of the situation: tourney or cash game? late or early? full table or short-handed? how does each player play? Way too many elements to generalize.