Gulf Coast Poker Championship (wpt) Trip Report

Trip report. My apologies if it's written terribly/typos. I didn't proof read.Wed night, Aug 29 - Met up with CobaltBlue and Bull62 and chatted for about 30 minutes. Got some early breakfast and went to sleep.Thursday, August 30 - Slept in then headed down to the tournament area and met up with CobaltBlue, played a $85 SNG and won it. Registered for the 7PM 2nd chance. We start with 2k in chips and 30 minute levels; Starting at 25/25. On the 2nd orbit I pick up QQ and call a ep raise to 175. The bb, who had played about 5 hands of the first 20 moves in. Ep raiser mucks and I pretty much insta-call and get shown AJhh. I felt good until the flop brought the 7h-8h-10x. The turn was a brick but the river A crippled me to about 400. The next hand I double with KQ back to about 900. Maybe 5 hands later I look down at QQ again and make it 100. Button calls and the sb makes it 500. I ship the rest of my stack in and get calls from both villains. They get the rest in on a 10-J-Q flop and I'm obv up against AK and AQ. K on the turn and blank river sends me packing.I see CobaltBlue in the tournament lobby and we decide the 3 of us should have dinner (Me, my girlfriend, and cobalt). We walk to Jia, the japaneese/sushi restaurant at the beau. I kind of grimace at the idea of sushi and tell him I don't like it. He asks how many times I have had it, and I tell him a few (Never eaten sushi in my life). I brave the idea of raw, stinky fish and we go in...I'm terrified. We order our sushi rolls, with me getting the "Spider" (Soft shell crab wrapped in seaweed?) and they both get the "Dragon" (Pretty much BBQ eel.....) I clinch my japaneese beer and dive in...or ..slowly walk in after fumbling my first bite of eel with my chop sticks, then dropping it in the little bowl of soy. I'll admit, the crab was actually really good, and I'll likely eat it again. The eel, however, was like a meaty fish flavored yogurt. Sick.Friday, August 31 - This was the first $550 and we had something like 610 players. I was well rested and felt good. I get my first table and I'm happy with it. Mostly a bunch middle aged men that were probably just passing the time until they were drunk enough to blow some cash at the craps tables. We started with 2500 chips at 25-25 and 50 minute levels, which wasn't terrible. During the first level of play I limped quite a bit picking up unwanted pots but not really getting involved. I ended first break with about 5k from chipping up in smaller pots. Right after break I come back to a table that has suddenly sprung to life. The old man in the 3 seat really wants to be aggressive, raising probably 30% of hands dealt. The funny thing with gramps is that he just checks out when he gets called and misses. He's shown down complete garbage after raising several times. In level 3 (50/100) aggro-pops makes it 400 from utg. MP1 smooth calls and I look down at 2 red kings. I decide on a small reraise making it 1100 with about 4k behind. Aggro-pops folds and MP1 calls, leaving himself about 1600 behind which he quickly puts in after a 2-5-9r flop. I call and he proudly turns over A3o. I fade the gutshot and ace. Thank you sir.Fast forward into level 5(100-200/ 25 ante) . The tournament clock says we have around 280 players left of the starting 610. Bustouts are picking up in frequency and the average stack is around 5200. I'm sitting on over 8k when I pick up KK in the hijack. All fold to MP2 who limps for 200. I make it 925 and it folds to the young, solid guy on the button who has about 9k. He calls (hmmmm..), and MP2 folds. He hasn't really gotten out of line, but did get it in during level 2 with 7c-8c as the short stack against 10-10 and A-5 and caught a miracle flop to triple. I decide he's got AA,QQ,or JJ. He looked genuinely concerned when the flop came Q-2-5r and I led for 1500. He thinks for about 20 seconds before he says "All-in"........****. I tell him aces are good as I ship the rest of my stack in the middle, making close to an 18k pot. I flip my hand over and he pounds the table before turning over JJ (Ship it please). The dealer immediately peels off the J on the turn, and I brick the river. The dealer counts us down and he has me covered by 75 chips which sends me packing back to my room smoking a cigarette (I don't smoke). GG me.I layed around and watched some TV in my room before pulling myself together and registering for the $200 second chance at 7pm. No notable hands here as I was card dead most of the tournament, and pretty much just picked up blinds to stay alive. I can't remember the hand but I finally doubled to about 4k during 50/100. Then I get moved to a new table, with the chip leader on my left, and Mr. Cool Poker Guy on my right. As soon as I sit down, Mr. Cool Poker guy (I'll call him MPG) is constantly blabbing to the poor sap on his right about odds/SNG strat/ICM etc. He says "Man, that was a tough spot. I'm gonna have to post that on 2+2".....cool guy. I find AK otb @ 200/400/50 with about 4k. MP raises to 1600 and I sail my stack into the middle, hoping I hold/get there. It folds back to mp who insta-mucks for 2400 more....okay. I blind back down to somewhere around 4800, which is quite short for 2/400/25. MPG open shoves from UTG and gets called from one of the blinds. He turns over A-5, and says "My m was 5, I had to make my move man." The BB turns over A4 and they chop the pot. Two hands later all fold to MPG in the sb, and me in the bb. He shoves and I fold my 2-4o. Very next hand all fold to MPG on the button, he shoves...again. I instantly shove/call all-in with A9o and turn my hand over. He pauses and says" OMG ! WOW! That's the lightest over-call (LOL?) I've ever seen. WOW MAN". He tables KJo and the dealer does the nasty. The KKQQx board sends me on my way again. I deliberate before leaving the table if I should punch MPG in the nose because he's STILL talking about "how light my OVERCALL was", but go with my better judgement. I head to the bar for a beer and then off to bed.The rest of the tournaments were pretty uninteresting. The next $550 I bust during 100/200/25 with QQ<A7ss on a K-10s-2s flop. I faded the turn but the river brings the A and my frustration continues.I played the second chance this night and bust when I lose a race with JJ<AK. Finally, the last $550, I'm crippled super early at 25/50 when I get it in with a shorter stack with AK<JJ and brick(Deja Vu). I would normally smooth call this early, but with 3-6 players seeing every flop, I wanted to narrow the pot to heads up. Unfortunately he shoved over my r/r and I couldn't fold. With about 600left and a blind increase coming, I stuck it in with 66 and get called 4 or 5 ways and muck the river after 2 players get it in with flushes.Overall I felt I played well but never really won the key pots I needed to make a deep run. For anyone in the Southern Mississippi area I strongly recommend visiting the Beau Rivage. The property and staff are absolutely the best. No complaints whatsoever and the hotel is hands down one of the nicest I've ever stayed at. I'll add a few pics shortly.

Overall I felt I played well but never really won the key pots I needed to make a deep run. For anyone in the Southern Mississippi area I strongly recommend visiting the Beau Rivage. The property and staff are absolutely the best. No complaints whatsoever and the hotel is hands down one of the nicest I've ever stayed at. I'll add a few pics shortly.
no doubt........and not only people in the southern miss area...........the Beau is FIRST class...........the poker room staff is top knotchnice trip report, sorry the tournies didn't go better but we all know thats just how it goes sometimes........
Then I get moved to a new table, with the chip leader on my left, and Mr. Cool Poker Guy on my right. As soon as I sit down, Mr. Cool Poker guy (I'll call him MPG) is constantly blabbing to the poor sap on his right about odds/SNG strat/ICM etc. He says "Man, that was a tough spot. I'm gonna have to post that on 2+2".....cool guy. I find AK otb @ 200/400/50 with about 4k. MP raises to 1600 and I sail my stack into the middle, hoping I hold/get there. It folds back to mp who insta-mucks for 2400 more....okay. I blind back down to somewhere around 4800, which is quite short for 2/400/25. MPG open shoves from UTG and gets called from one of the blinds. He turns over A-5, and says "My m was 5, I had to make my move man." The BB turns over A4 and they chop the pot. Two hands later all fold to MPG in the sb, and me in the bb. He shoves and I fold my 2-4o. Very next hand all fold to MPG on the button, he shoves...again. I instantly shove/call all-in with A9o and turn my hand over. He pauses and says" OMG ! WOW! That's the lightest over-call (LOL?) I've ever seen. WOW MAN". He tables KJo and the dealer does the nasty. The KKQQx board sends me on my way again. I deliberate before leaving the table if I should punch MPG in the nose because he's STILL talking about "how light my OVERCALL was", but go with my better judgement. I head to the bar for a beer and then off to bed.
Oh god I HATE that guy! :club: I have a little trick that I do whenever I run into him.I start using a Summers Eve Douche box as a card protector (yes, that was me at Tunica). I keep one in my bag at all times for whenever I run into MPG. They usually get the hint.