mike matusow weighs in on tuan on fulltilt chat

Yes indeed, my Vietnamese brethren are tearing it up and have been for a while. However, didn't Tuan say a couple weeks ago on the WPT broadcast that he was going to quit poker as soon as he hit a certain dollar figure? He sounded like he wanted to get in and get out. It would be a shame to see a great young player like him leave the game young. Of course, he is vietnamese and we were born to gamble so we'll have to see if he really does leave.
He said if he wins 8 figures then he'll quit forever. I don't agree with some of the things that Mike does at the table (or away from the table for that matter), but I agree with his assessment about Tuan. I haven't really seen anything out of Tuan (in the edited for TV broadcast, mind you) that I haven't seen from dozens of $3-$6 players. One of the hands that almost ended the heads-up battle involved Tuan semi-bluffing all in into Maxfield's two pair and then hitting a gutshot on the river. Yes, it takes skill to win two WPT events, but he seems like a big luckbox to me. I also think that Tuan will never truly be "great" because he doesn't really love the game. Someone who plays not just for the money, but for the money AND the love of the game would never say "I really want to quit as soon as I make some big money." Tuan definitely had to do something right to get that far in two tourneys, but having a ton of gamble doesn't make someone great.
why is his nickname "the mouth"?
hes loud and obnoxious at the table. he truely believes he is the best poker player in the world and anytime he loses its due to a series of bad beats.
He readily admits that he often has a brainfart at the table which knocks him out (the Matusow meltdown) and it is not always bad beats. However, when he is focusing, he takes it extremely hard when the cards don't fall his way.

It takes a lot of skill AND luck to win 2 wpt tournies. Sure, Tuan hit a 4 outer on the river to stay alive, but I guarantee the majority of big tourney winners hit a 4 outer at some point in their tourney. It's the nature of the game. Anyone thinking Tuan doesn't have skill basically has no respect for the game, because you are saying any idiot could come in and beat a lineup of the best players, TWICE.Oh, and "the Mouth", is great for the game of poker. I can't stand him, but you need villians in any sport (i.e. yankees), to make it more interesting.

Anyone who is anyone in poker was in that tournament, so to win it you have to be a great player. Even Moneymaker made some great plays at the WSOP that were never aired.
Not true, I did not participate in the tournament 8)
Anyone who is anyone in poker was in that tournament, so to win it you have to be a great player. Even Moneymaker made some great plays at the WSOP that were never aired.
I sincerely apologize. I guess you had the same problem I did with the buy in being way too small. :wink:

Can anyone point out any tourney with 400+ players where the winner hasn't gotten lucky at some point in the tournament?If luck didn't play a part in tournaments, Phil H. would win them all, and that's a fact :wink:

i believe stu ungar hit a gutshot to win one of his wsop's, and everyone knows that brunson came from behind twice with his beloved 10=2, you have to get a little lucky.
You're right, Stuey rivered a gutshot to win the last one, but he made a few amazing bluffs prior to that, and the guy that he beat (whose name escapes me) hit a one outer to stay alive earlier at the final table.
I sincerely apologize. I guess you had the same problem I did with the buy in being way too small. :wink:
Yup, I need it to be at least 100k to cut down on the riffraff and hometown heroes.

For what it's worth...I talked to a well known pro (you have seen him on TV) and I asked him this: "I think Tuan Lee sucks...am I wrong?"He told me this: "He doesn't suck...but he is not very good."He also told me that when he played against Tuan Le, that Tuan did some incredibly stupid things and just got lucky.....For example:Tuan had opened a pot IN FIRST POSITION with a 18k raise (blinds were 2-4k) with AQo when the table was 8 handed (Tuan had about 330k at that point).....Everybody folded to the button who re-raised to 45k......(He had 450k...Tuan Le then RE-RE-raised to 100k.....the guy pushed allin for the whole tourney....Tuan Le called like a shot with Ace freakin Queen.....The guy had KK......Tuan caught an ace on the flop......Yeah...he's great..... :?