Don't really know anything about my opponent as he had just been moved to my table a few hands ago. This is a tourney with the blinds going up every 10 minutes so you have to accumulate chips. My thinking on the flop is that with the flush draw out there, I have to lean toward calling. But even if he just has a flush draw, he probably has at least one overcard making it about even money or worse. Also with my raise coming from the CO he could be thinking I'm on a pure bluff. If I fold I still have a somewhat above average stack to work with. So what do you do?PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t2000 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)Hero (t43973)Button (t5490)SB (t20678)BB (t41401)UTG (t34042)UTG+1 (t2269)MP1 (t18935)MP2 (t8720)MP3 (t3674)Preflop: Hero is CO with Tclub.gif, Tspade.gif. 5 folds, Hero raises to t5999, 2 folds, BB calls t3999.Flop: (t10798) 9heart.gif, 2heart.gif, 5spade.gif(2 players)BB checks, Hero bets t9999, BB raises to t35302, Hero

its an easy shovel for me.i know its difficult late in a tourney to want to do this butif you are villain how do you read this, all folds. C/O makes a standard raise at 2k BB.you have 43k he has 40k. the two biggest stacks at the tablehe smooth called your raise preflopi eliminate any pair thats 9's or higher. leaving only a set of 5's and 2's that have you beat here. so why would he check raise only to 35k? He wanted to see what you would do on the flop. U made a failry weak bet, he's trying to take this withiout risking his whole life.I think he does 2 things with a monster in this spot. check raise to 20k. or check/raise all in. 35 looks odd.edit: is he all in?? sorry it looks like he is all in, but i didnt do the math. and given the way the hand played out, it looks like he expects you to fold when he makes this play. I assume he has a 9.

its an easy shovel for me.i know its difficult late in a tourney to want to do this butif you are villain how do you read this, all folds. C/O makes a standard raise at 2k BB.you have 43k he has 40k. the two biggest stacks at the tablehe smooth called your raise preflopi eliminate any pair thats 9's or higher. leaving only a set of 5's and 2's that have you beat here. so why would he check raise only to 35k? He wanted to see what you would do on the flop. U made a failry weak bet, he's trying to take this withiout risking his whole life.I think he does 2 things with a monster in this spot. check raise to 20k. or check/raise all in. 35 looks odd.edit: is he all in?? sorry it looks like he is all in, but i didnt do the math. and given the way the hand played out, it looks like he expects you to fold when he makes this play. I assume he has a 9.
^^^ what Royal said, a weak cont. bet and he wants to repop. You're probably in good shape. How'd it turn out btw?
^^^ what Royal said, a weak cont. bet and he wants to repop. You're probably in good shape. How'd it turn out btw?
Well it turns out that he has the inconceivable nine-deuce of clubs for two pair and I didn't improve. Should i have bet the pot on the flop? I usually bet about 3/4 of the pot for a continuation bet in tournaments.
Well it turns out that he has the inconceivable nine-deuce of clubs for two pair and I didn't improve. Should i have bet the pot on the flop? I usually bet about 3/4 of the pot for a continuation bet in tournaments.
u raised preflop with 10'she called with 9,2.flop is 9 high, unconnecting. His 9,2 was ridiculous. There are obviously times that you can lay this hand down but in this situation, BB is 2k. and i'm not sure if this is final table, or what. but if its a MTT, we're usually going for 1st. and this is a good spot to try and take a huge chip leadHe got really lucky playing 9,2. thats all

Actually, the wierd raises might be why he called PF. I tend to loosen up when I see someone who chipstacks like that. (I doubt 92 would be in my range...but...)Jennifear mentions this in her article about online tells. Odd bet amounts designed to put a "pile" of chips out there are generally a sign of weakness and that the person doing it is just trying to scare you out of the pot. Doing it from the CO when everyone else folded to you...and I read steal all day.

I usually bet about 3/4 of the pot for a continuation bet in tournaments.
You can't have a fixed rule like this. You have to make your cbets based on pricing your opponent out of any hand he could be drawing to that could beat yours. On a ragged board like this one in position, a half pot bet is plenty. If the flop wasn't double suited, you could bet 1/3 and still be pricing out any one pair hand below yours. If you were out of position, or the board were more coordinated, then a 3/4 to full pot bet is better. The idea is that you bet enough to maximize the mistake that your opponent makes if he calls with a worse hand. If he has A9 on this flop, a 1/3 bet prices him out. If the flop comes with a bunch of middle or high cards and is double or single suited, you will have to bet more because he will call more with draws than without.I kinda rambled there a bit but hopefully you get the gist of it.
  • 2 weeks later...