Ak, Paired Ace On Flop

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)UTG (t1470)MP (t1450)CO (t1470)Button (t1680)SB (t1480)Hero (t1450)Preflop: Hero is BB with Aheart.gif, Kdiamond.gif. UTG calls t20, 2 folds, Button calls t20, SB completes, Hero raises to t80, UTG calls t60, Button calls t60, SB calls t60.Flop: (t320) Qspade.gif, Adiamond.gif, 2spade.gif(4 players)SB checks, Hero bets t200, UTG folds, Button folds, SB calls t200.Turn: (t720) 6spade.gif(2 players)SB checks, Hero...?I've seen villain check-raise before, and I'm definitely afraid that the action suggests he's made a flush. If this were the river, I'd check behind for sure. But if I bet here, I could be check-raised, while if I check behind he can still jump all over me on the river (and if he only has one spade that would give him a chance to make a flush). Just hate this situation, but OTOH I do have TPTK.

If you bet and get raised (he will probably try to feign weakness by minraising, how inconspicuous) then you will have to fold. You think he could be setting a trap, I would just check behind here and call a modest bet on the river. If he bets, like, 500, I would fold. If he checks the river, and it's a non-spade I would value bet. Also by checking here you teach him to think twice before he tries to check raise you again. Bottom line is, you're not sure if you have the best hand, so use your position to your advantage to manipulate the pot size in accordance with the strength of your hand.

If you bet and get raised (he will probably try to feign weakness by minraising, how inconspicuous) then you will have to fold. You think he could be setting a trap, I would just check behind here and call a modest bet on the river. If he bets, like, 500, I would fold. If he checks the river, and it's a non-spade I would value bet. Also by checking here you teach him to think twice before he tries to check raise you again. Bottom line is, you're not sure if you have the best hand, so use your position to your advantage to manipulate the pot size in accordance with the strength of your hand.
Nice! I like this line.
Btw raise more on the flop. Flush draws are priced in to call with a bet of 200. A pot sized bet might be safer.
Priced in at 2.5-1? How do you figure? The flush is more like 4-1 on each street.

raise more preflop, youre giving decent odds to the limpers and you really dont want to play the hand OOP. /Flop bet is fine. If you overbet here then youve got a tough stack to play for the turn and river. With an A on board a flush draw is going to envision lots of implied odds to the river and is going to bet tough to force out with out an overbet.

Turn: (t720) 6spade.gif(2 players)SB checks, Hero bets t640, SB raises to t1200, Hero...?Looking at it mathematically, I guess you could say I'm pot committed to make a crying call. But would any of you go against the math and say "okay, I have a really bad feeling about this, and I'm going to let this go and see if I can battle back with a shortstack"?

Yeah I mean if you're pretty sure you're drawing dead then you shouldn't call $1 into a $1 Million dollar pot technically. And the villains line sure looks like a flush to me. Especially with blinds this low, you still have time to pick a good spot to double up.But then again I probably would have checked behind. As played though I don't think a fold is horrible play.

But then again I probably would have checked behind.
Probably not a bad idea, though it is hard to do in practice since I had this nagging thought that the villain might just have the A of spades with a weak offsuit kicker.

Results:Turn: (t720) 6spade.gif(2 players)SB checks, Hero bets t640, SB raises to t1200, Hero calls t530 (All-In).River: (t3090) 6club.gif(2 players, 1 all-in)Final Pot: t3090SB has As 8s (flush, ace high). Hero has Ah Kd (two pair, aces and sixes). Outcome: SB wins t3090.

Yeah I mean if you're pretty sure you're drawing dead then you shouldn't call $1 into a $1 Million dollar pot technically.
um if im just "pretty sure" im calling 1 to win a million every day of the weeki'd have to be one million % sure i was beat, and even then I'd prolly still call.that's a large pot.
um if im just "pretty sure" im calling 1 to win a million every day of the weeki'd have to be one million % sure i was beat, and even then I'd prolly still call.that's a large pot.
Good point--his example was hyperbole to be sure. What about in this hand? I'm sure you might have played it differently at various stages; but let's say you didn't, and got to that last decision: nearly 5-1 odds, you have TPTK but strongly suspect you're beaten and your tournament life is on the line. Call?
Good point--his example was hyperbole to be sure. What about in this hand? I'm sure you might have played it differently at various stages; but let's say you didn't, and got to that last decision: nearly 5-1 odds, you have TPTK but strongly suspect you're beaten and your tournament life is on the line. Call?
Getting 5 to 1 you have to be about 85% sure he has the flush to justify a fold. I think his c/r on the turn makes it pretty obvious, so the disciplined me would fold, but the "aw f*ck it, I wanna see it" side of me would call. The disciplined side is the better poker player btw.

Bet more Preflop and on the Flop. Either check turn and call river bet or bet on turn and fold to any c/r. It might end up being cheaper to find out where you are at by betting turn as opposed to calling most river bets.

Bet more Preflop and on the Flop. Either check turn and call river bet or bet on turn and fold to any c/r. It might end up being cheaper to find out where you are at by betting turn as opposed to calling most river bets.
Nice advice from our newest strat tourney champ! (Congrats btw.)
Not tryin to make it a whos who thing but what about JAS II. I only ask cause he got pretty mad at me when i bubbled him.
Was that when you called with A10?
Priced in at 2.5-1? How do you figure? The flush is more like 4-1 on each street.
You have to factor in the implied odds. If I have a flush draw and I put my opponent on the sort of hand that he actually has, I can assume he'll pay off some sort of bet on the river. With implied odds I'm comfortable that 2.5-1 is enough to call with a flush draw. From out of position, I agree that we should bet a little more on the flop, especially with two other players to act behind us.Second, you're far too eager to give him credit for a flush here. His action could be a flush draw, but it could also be a whole slew of other hands as well, including many that you are way ahead of. I think you have to bet again on the turn, and I'd bet half the pot. If he calls, then you check behind on the river. If he check raises, you have to assume you are beat and throw it away.